Cancel Subscription RRS feed

• Question

• I need to cancel my subscription before my renewal tomorrow...Problem is the automated process does not work.  I follow the link in help -> windows live onecare help.  After searching on cancel I am told to click the "get more help" link followed by the "Get Support" link.  This takes me to the "contact support" page were I can enter "billing or tech" & "new or existing".  This is were the process breaks down.  It says it is detecting my onecare subscription status.  It then ask me to log onto my windows live account.  From here on it is in a loop.  It takes me to a screen that says "validate onecare subscript"  & I have the choice of either windows live id or product id.  If I chose product id after I type the first number it goes to the same login page.  If I chose windows live id it goes to the same login page.  & repeats.   I need to cancel this subscription today & I can not...Any help would be appreciated.

Tuesday, December 4, 2007 9:16 PM

Answers

• I *hate* the new support flow. :-(

Go to your Billing account and invalidate your stored credit card data by changing the expiration date.

Then get to support via email - 

How to reach support - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2421771&SiteID=2 If it fails to validate your subscription, select the option that you are using a trial or beta copy and you can proceed to email support without validation once you've signed in.

-steve

Wednesday, December 5, 2007 2:54 AM

All replies

• I *hate* the new support flow. :-(

Go to your Billing account and invalidate your stored credit card data by changing the expiration date.

Then get to support via email - 

How to reach support - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2421771&SiteID=2 If it fails to validate your subscription, select the option that you are using a trial or beta copy and you can proceed to email support without validation once you've signed in.

-steve

Wednesday, December 5, 2007 2:54 AM
  • I was saving changing my cc info as a last resort.  (I might want to purchase other live services...Or not after this.)  Any subscription that I am paying for should offer a phone number to call to cancel.  Also, the help system depends on an internet connection.  If my internet connection is not working I can't cancel or get help.  Bad design choice.  Overall Onecares user interface is lacking.

I did eventually find a way to cancel by phone.  After lots of searching I found this web site:

http://support.microsoft.com/contactussupport/?ws=support

So I called 1-800-MICROSOFT (why didn't I think of that hours before?)

They eventually transferred me to someone one that was supposed to help.  Instead it hung up on me.  Fortunately he gave me the direct number 1-866-672-4551.  This turns out to be the direct line to cancel subscriptions.  The only positive thing about the whole experience was that I was not on hold long.  Maybe that is the trade off.  I can spend 3-4 hours trying to cancel it myself & looking for a phone number Or 3-4 hours on hold.  Smile

Anyway thanks Steve for the response.

Wednesday, December 5, 2007 2:12 PM
  • Thank *you* for your persistence. I was not aware of that number, but will be sure to save it!

Your comments are *all* valid regarding the inability to call for help or to cancel easily if you are a paid subscriber...

-steve

Wednesday, December 5, 2007 8:04 PM
  • Same problem as others above and then some. I was unable to cancel online and I was sent to a page offering help for MSN or Live and I would click: Help for Windows Live products and services only to get a page of options and when I clicked OneCare Live, it sent me back to the previous page (a closed loop). So I just let it go with an expired credit card as recommended above. Today checked on the account and it still seems to be on the books that I owe some $52+ ??? and that is with a "suspended" program (nonfunctional). Wanting to clean things up i again tried to cancel from the account and it said contact customer service and got the same run around until I found a tele number [deleted] or something and when I finally got a human being (albeit foreign and hard to understand) they said I had a bad line and couldn't hear me (never happened to me before so it must have been on their end as she did not sound surprised and had a routine statment about calling back) and then they hung up as I was shouting my name. Rather than sitting on the phone indefintely again I tried accessing LiveOneCare from the program which offered help with cancelling subscription only to get the following a couple of pages later from page http://go.microsoft.com/help.aspx?project=a&market=en-us .

Server Error in '/' Application.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The resource cannot be found.
    Description: HTTP 404. The resource you are looking for (or one of its dependencies) could have been removed, had its name changed, or is temporarily unavailable.  Please review the following URL and make sure that it is spelled correctly.

Requested URL: /help.aspx

Needless to say, I give up. It is impossible to cancel Live OneCare without giving up several hours of your life and even then you may not be successful. They make it so easy to buy but so hard to cancel, mmmmmm. They better not do anything to affect my credit....or else....

I know that there isn't much you or anyone can do but at least I vented and others will know they are not the only ones who can't cancel their Live OneCare.

Thursday, February 28, 2008 1:21 AM
  • Venting is okay. I think that canceling should be a simple online function. At this point, it requires contacting support. Since you have the number, I recommend that you call back or follow the path for email support in the FAQ.

-steve

Thursday, February 28, 2008 2:37 AM
  • Found a great deal www.jr.com I paid $28.83 for a year. 2.0

After using this service and this system for protection of my computer i new i was going to subscribe.

Using many others and having the conflicts they have because of diffrent fire wall manuafacturing and assorted other problems,

And having Nortan for one create unending auto check errors because the subscription ran out.

I dont have a clue of your complaint about the user interface? Its very easy as well as attractive . I personaly dont want to look at it or use it If i do theres generaly somthing wrong with my computer.

Thursday, February 28, 2008 5:43 AM
  • I`m having exactly the same problem as you are. It just goes into a loop and it`s impossible to cancel. It`s not good enough is it . I hope they rectify the problem quickly/
    Gill H Bates_II
    Saturday, February 21, 2009 9:17 PM
  • Murray McCaull said:

I`m having exactly the same problem as you are. It just goes into a loop and it`s impossible to cancel. It`s not good enough is it . I hope they rectify the problem quickly/

Gill H Bates_II

To cancel your subscription, contact support - 

How to reach support (FAQ) - http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/onecareinstallandactivate/thread/30400b52-7f26-4ba0-bc18-17e305329d90

If you are in North America, this phone number can be called to cancel a OneCare subscription (not other support issues): 

1-866-672-4551

-steve

Microsoft MVP Windows Live / Windows Live OneCare & Live Mesh Forum Moderator
    Monday, February 23, 2009 2:24 PM