concern whether recovery partition corruption will affect validation? RRS feed

• Question

• Hey,

I apologise in advance for my lack of understanding but I am unfamiliar with the Microsoft forums, so if this post is not in the correct place, please let me know ASAP.

Anyways, my query is about how to reformat my HDD and keep my version of Vista Home Premium that came pre-installed on my laptop - thus, I have no Installation CD.

This has been a problem in the past when I was not aware of the recovery partition (bootup files became corrupt) but I am looking to start afresh and simply wipe the disk (using "boot and nuke", or similar if alternatives can be provided) because of various errors and possible current underlying problems including virii etc.

I have the product key printed on a label on the underside of my laptop (photographic evidence of this can be provided if neccessary, though preferably via PM or email) but I do not see a way in which I can reinstall Windows without an installation CD of some sort if the recovery partition gets damaged at all?

Also, if the recovery partition becomes damaged, will this affect my Product Key?

I am concerned as to whether the Product Key is tied to this particular machine / setup etc ?

Thanks for any help

Regards,

Roger Howell 

Thursday, December 13, 2007 7:12 PM

Answers

• Hi Kwah,

The company that built the computer usually includes software (within Vista) that will help you create a bootable Windows Restore CD/DVD or they will include directions on how to do it, yourself, in the documentation that came with your computer. (if your computer is an HP, like mine, I know they include software to help create a Restore CD). If you are unable to find the software or directions, I encourage you to contact the company for additional help.

Thank you for the question and I'm sorry I couldn't give you completer details, but each computer manufacturer has their own way of doing the Windows Restore process and I don't know all of them.

Thank you,

Darin Smith

WGA Forum Manager

Thursday, December 13, 2007 10:10 PM

All replies

• Hi Kwah,

The company that built the computer usually includes software (within Vista) that will help you create a bootable Windows Restore CD/DVD or they will include directions on how to do it, yourself, in the documentation that came with your computer. (if your computer is an HP, like mine, I know they include software to help create a Restore CD). If you are unable to find the software or directions, I encourage you to contact the company for additional help.

Thank you for the question and I'm sorry I couldn't give you completer details, but each computer manufacturer has their own way of doing the Windows Restore process and I don't know all of them.

Thank you,

Darin Smith

WGA Forum Manager

Thursday, December 13, 2007 10:10 PM
  • <!-- /* Style Definitions */ p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal {mso-style-parent:""; margin:0in; margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:12.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman";} @page Section1 {size:8.5in 11.0in; margin:1.0in 1.25in 1.0in 1.25in; mso-header-margin:.5in; mso-footer-margin:.5in; mso-paper-source:0;} div.Section1 {page:Section1;} -->

Sometimes it becomes very twisted and cost a huge amount of data loss when we re-format our drive. We could not recover our lost data on the drive therefore we lost our precious data for ever. But we can recover our data the help of recovery software Stellar Phoenix Hard Drive Recovery Software which is quite friendly having graphic user interface and intuitive efficiency in recovering data so why don’t you try this software…

http://www.hard-drive-recovery-software.com/

Thursday, April 2, 2009 4:31 AM