Sharing parts of synched folders? RRS feed

• Question

• Is it possible to set permissions for a subfolder separately from the parent folder without uploading it twice?

Here is what I want to do. I use Live Mesh to sync "Folder A" across my 4 computers. The folder is not shared, I use the same live login between all of the computers. Inside the folder, there is more folders, one of which, "Subfolder 1", I would like to share with several coworkers. I could create a new folder on my live desktop and sync that one with the subfolder independently and then set permissions accordingly, but I do not have enough space available to do this. Is there a way to share the subfolder with others without uploading an independent copy?

I'm sorry if this has been discussed previously, I couldn't find a related post.

Thank you!

Thursday, June 3, 2010 7:08 PM

Answers

• No, this is not possible. The top level folder is the Mesh folder and all folders within will sync. You cannot have a nested folder with different properties as another Mesh folder. You would need to move the subfolder out to another location (in effect deleting it from the top level Mesh folder) and then add that moved folder into the Mesh and set permissions/share with other devices and other people as desired.

-steve

~ Microsoft MVP Windows Live ~ Windows Live OneCare| Live Mesh|MS Security Essentials Forums Moderator ~
    Friday, June 4, 2010 2:58 PM