MS Connect WHS Unable to 'Submit feedback" RRS feed

• Question

• OK, maybe I'm blind or nutz but I have submiited a bug to MS Connect in the recent past and now need to do so again but I swear the orange submit feedback button is disabled.
    So...

How does one submit to Microsoft Connect (WHS) when the submit feedback button is unlinked??
    Wednesday, November 11, 2009 8:56 PM

Answers

• Forwarded to the appropriate individuals. I expect it to be working again in a day or so. :P

Edit: So here's how it works now (and yes, this is way more broken than it was before...):

You go to that page where the big orange Submit Feedback button seems like it's not working (because it's completely non-functional). You type a search term (perhaps the title you would like to use for your submission) in the search box and search. Now you can either vote on feedback that's very similar to your own, or scroll all the way to the bottom and click the (functional this time) Submit link.

If you get the feeling I don't believe this UX decision was a good one, well, umm, exactly...
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Thursday, November 12, 2009 1:11 AM

All replies

• Forwarded to the appropriate individuals. I expect it to be working again in a day or so. :P

Edit: So here's how it works now (and yes, this is way more broken than it was before...):

You go to that page where the big orange Submit Feedback button seems like it's not working (because it's completely non-functional). You type a search term (perhaps the title you would like to use for your submission) in the search box and search. Now you can either vote on feedback that's very similar to your own, or scroll all the way to the bottom and click the (functional this time) Submit link.

If you get the feeling I don't believe this UX decision was a good one, well, umm, exactly...
    Thursday, November 12, 2009 1:11 AM
  • WOW ! What a mess !
    Not so bad if they are trying to limited un-searched submissions, but REALLY - they should document somewhere.

I'll try that.
    As usual Ken you are my hero.
    Still trying to find out why my server locks up on backup every few days with random clients...waitining for next SP if ever (?). BTW - what is UX ?
    Thursday, November 12, 2009 9:43 PM
  • UX = IT/design shorthand for User eXperience. 

The decision in this case was to take the orange Submit Feedback button, which previously forced a user to perform a search (admittedly slightly confusing), and simply disable it but leave it on the page. This is much more broken for the end user than the slightly confusing search. Witness your confusion. (Witness my own, and I probably use Connect more than most here do...)

It's my understanding that the group responsible is working on a better design for this functionality, but I couldn't say what that will be or when it will be released. In the meantime, if you hate the current design enough, I'm pretty sure there's a way to leave feedback about Connect in general. I would do that.

Friday, November 13, 2009 4:04 PM