View Backup RRS feed

• General discussion

• I'm a administrator of WHS. But i don't know why i can't open a home computer backup.

It said you must open a backup from the WHSC running on a home computer.

I'm a administrator, why can't let me ope it?!?!

Saturday, April 7, 2007 4:53 PM

All replies

• Can you open backup from another client? I have the same problem. I can't open backup from WHS, but yet I can open backups from my clients. I am still investigating myself.
    Saturday, April 7, 2007 6:04 PM
  • You can't open a backup when logged in to WHS through Remote Desktop because you can't restore from the backup to WHS. It's a client backup.
    Saturday, April 7, 2007 8:41 PM
  • Hi Ken, what I meant is I am sitting in front of my whs, and I can't open / view the backup. Is this by supposed to be like this?
    Saturday, April 7, 2007 9:19 PM
  •  1ne wrote:
    Hi Ken, what I meant is I am sitting in front of my whs, and I can't open / view the backup. Is this by supposed to be like this?
    Yes,it's supposed to be like that. You can't view the files in a backup on WHS, only while you're accessing the backup from a client PC. The interface to the backup files uses a driver that exposes the backup like another drive on your PC, and that driver doesn't exist on WHS.
    Saturday, April 7, 2007 11:58 PM
  • Right on.. good to know.. Nothing wrong with mine then... Thanks
    Sunday, April 8, 2007 1:57 AM
  • But Ken, i mean that i am a administrator but can't let me to view client's backup file. I know that i can't rstore them, but i want to open the nackup to access some file.
    Sunday, April 8, 2007 3:48 PM
  •  

Thanks for this clarification. The dialog box that pops up is SERIOUSLY confusing. "You must open a backup from the Windows Home Server Console running on a home computer"? it should say something like "You must open a backup from the WHS Console from the client machine that was backed up"

Anyway - thanks - your answer helped me figure out what was going on.

Wednesday, February 20, 2008 3:30 AM
  • Anonymous, Windows Home Server isn't a "home computer" in this case. It's a headless device providing services to home computers.

Also, you can open a backup of any client machine, on any client machine. So if you back up PC A, you can open a backup of it on PC B as long as you have admin access to PC B, and the administrator password to your home server. The assumption is that the WHS administrator is effectively the overall "system administrator" for the entire home. Anyone with that password should have access to everything in the home.
    Wednesday, February 20, 2008 4:52 PM