System freezes RRS feed

• General discussion

• I have 2 machines, one is a Dell and the other is an HP. Both are configured pretty much the same, dual core CPUs, memory, etc. Both machines are running exactly the same software, Vista Ultimate, OneCare, Office 2007 and iTunes. Both machines are on the same network and both are hard wired to the same router. Now for the differences, 1 machine has the printer and a USB hard drive and the other accesses these devices over the Ethernet.

The problem is that the machine that accesses the devices over the Ethernet will freeze at random times, measured in days. When it freezes the only thing I can do is pull it’s plug and reboot it. When I look in the event log there is no indication of any problem other than there was a reboot.

Has anyone seen this problem or can anyone recommend some diagnostic software that I can run that will capture the event so I can debug it?

Thanks

Sam

Tuesday, February 5, 2008 12:15 AM

All replies

• Hi, Sam. I hate problems like that. :-(

Did it occur before OneCare was installed? When the PC freezes, is it black screen frozen, mouse frozen, or all activity frozen? I suspect that it has nothing to do with OneCare, but I wouldn't rule it out, either. It may be a driver problem, or it could be a memory or hardware issue, particularly since it is random. Is the PC running any programs or is the PC in use when it happens or is after a period of inactivity? Could it be a screensaver issue?

-steve

Tuesday, February 5, 2008 2:25 AM
  • Steve,

I installed all the software at the same time so I can't tell if there is a specific software that is causing the problem. The only differences that I know of are how OneCare backs up and the hardware type. I would agree that it might not be OneCare but to the best of my ability I can't think of anything else that is different.

The programs that are running are Outlook and the Microsoft screen saver and all activity is frozen, nothing works except pulling the plug.

If not OneCare what forum should I be going to?

Thanks

Sam

Tuesday, February 5, 2008 12:02 PM
  • Since we don't know the cause and OneCare is a possible culprit, here is fine. I don't know what to tell you to look for, though. Hopefully, someone else can pop in and offer some troubleshooting tips. The only thing that could be an issue with OneCare would be the way it communicates between PCs to update status on the Hub. Anything unusual in the Event Log for OneCare?

-steve

Tuesday, February 5, 2008 12:51 PM