Network Connection RRS feed

• General discussion

• I have my work laptop setup with OneCare. I use my laptop at both home and work. I use a wireless connection at both locations. I have a Linksys wireless router at home, and I connect via an Access Point at work. I have both locations setup as a home/work connection. Once I come back to work, after using my laptop at home, the only way I can connect to the work network is to disable the firewall. If I do not disable the firewall I get an Automatic Private Address which places me outside the network. I have looked at my network connections through OneCare, and my work network is not displayed with the connected green dot even after I connect. I'm not sure if this is the problem or not... If I have my work network setup under the home/work umbrella why do I have such problems connecting with firewall enabled? Any help would be wonderful.

Tuesday, February 19, 2008 3:43 PM

All replies

• Hi, Michael. I can't tell you why, but I can speculate what is happening. When you connect to the work network, the profile is not recognized by OneCare as being the same as before, so it is unidentified or private. It may also be that when you connect to the work access point, the network adapter is not getting the updated information for the network from the work DHCP server.

Are you rebooting the PC or putting it to sleep when you travel between locations? Have you tried disconnecting and reconnecting to the network connection?

In OneCare, in the network connections list, when your see the connected and disconnected networks, do you see any entries that show "unidentified" in the list and connected?

-steve

Tuesday, February 19, 2008 4:24 PM
  • Stephen,

When traveling from one location to another I usually use the hibernate option. I have tried doing a disable/enable, release/renew through a dos prompt, repair, and restarting my laptop. The only way that works is diabling the firewall. No, I do not see an unidentified connection. I see three in the list, since I have not purged the unconnected, My SSID for my Router at home, The wireless SSID for work, and a second SSID ID for work (I was playing with the setup of a wireless router at work one day). It not showing up in the list is a problem for the other user I have runnig one care. I can't change it to a home/work location because it is not in the list. I'm not really sure why, if your connected, it wouldn't show in the list.

Tuesday, February 19, 2008 4:48 PM
  • Stephen,

I just ran a test, and it does show up as unclassified when I try to connect with the firewall enabled. However, this connection is falling under the home/work umbrella.

Tuesday, February 19, 2008 5:07 PM
  • Since you poked it with ipconfig /release and ipcongfig /renew at the command prompt, does renew obtain an IP address or not?

And, is this Vista or XP?

-steve

Tuesday, February 19, 2008 5:27 PM
  • It will obtain the Automatic Private Address if the firewall is enabled which places me outside the network.

XP SP2

Ususally when I get to work and resume Windows and it gives me the limited or no connection balloon. So, I disable the firewall, do a repair on my connection, and then enable the firewall. The funny thing is.... When I enable the firewall it sees the connection as a home/work connection. I don't know how this is possible. One would think if you do not see a connected network through OneCare it would not let it be anything other than public. However, I'm glad it does see the connection as home/work.

Tuesday, February 19, 2008 5:44 PM
  • So, with the firewall enabled, it cannot get an IP address from the DHCP server on your work network. However, if you drop the firewall and force the renewal of the IP address and TCP/IP information, it works and then you can turn the OneCare firewall back on.

Once you've established the connection, the firewall "knows" it is Home/Work because you told it that this connection, based on the information coming from the DHCP server, was a private network - Home or Work.

What happens if you reboot the PC at work and leave the firewall on? Does it work normally? Do you ever experience this problem going the other way? That is, hibernating and taking the PC home and resuming it? Does it always find the home network perfectly?

-steve

Tuesday, February 19, 2008 6:12 PM
  • If I reboot the workstation with the firewall on I will get the limited or no connection message. I do not experience the problem on my home network. However, as you know my setup there is not as advanced as it is at work. I can't recall it ever having a problem finding the home network.

Tuesday, February 19, 2008 7:28 PM
  • That's good information. Do you know anything about the topology of the network at work? Make and model of the Access point(s)? Is it an Active Directory network? What serves up DHCP? A router or a server? Any special authentication that needs to take place?

-steve

Tuesday, February 19, 2008 8:04 PM
  • I pretty sure the AP's are Cisco. I think the model is a Aironet 1230. Not 100% on that one they were here when I got here, and they are mounted about 50 feet in the air. A server which is also the domain controller assigns the IP's.

Tuesday, February 19, 2008 8:49 PM
  • Thanks for the additional information. I've not got any more ideas at this point, but at least you've got a workaround (although clunky) until we can get it resolved.

-steve

Wednesday, February 20, 2008 1:27 AM
  • Thanks Steve!

Wednesday, February 20, 2008 3:48 AM