UNC Clickable Link? RRS feed

• Question

• Hello all, We are using OCS 2007 with Communicator 2007 V2.0.6362.0

I have disabled URL filtering at the pool level and allowed URL's in the Communicator GPO.  We can send URL links in Communicator messages, however we cannot send UNC links such as: \\server\share

Does anyone know a fix for this? 

Thanks,
    J
    Monday, July 13, 2009 2:55 PM

All replies

• I don't believe UNC paths are recognized as they aren't standards URLs (e.g. http: sip: tel: etc).
    Jeff Schertz, PointBridge | MVP | MCITP: Enterprise Messaging | MCTS: OCS
    Monday, July 13, 2009 6:44 PM
  • A UNC path is represented as a file:// URL (e.g. file:///\\server\share) which appears to be pretty standard within Office apps (it does this in both Word and Excel 2007 at least). 

For instance, if you type \\server\share in Word 2007, it will automatically convert it into active link.  If you hover over that link, you see it's actual URL is file:///\\server\share.

If you type in a valid file:// url into Communicator, it appears to at least recognize it, even though it doesn't become an active link. 

For instance, when I type \\mymachinename \c$\test.txt in Communicator 2007 R2, it will change the color of the text to blue (indicating to me that it just turned it into an active link).  But when I hit enter to send it, it changes it back to just plain text.

So it seems like there's some smarts built into Communicator to handle UNC paths and file:// links both, it's just not fully implemented (or perhaps we have something misconfigured).
    Wednesday, July 15, 2009 10:22 PM