i am trying to connect my mac to my wi fi network RRS feed

• Question

•  

i  just installed one care and secured my network with my pc and now cant use my connection for my mac or ps3 and under change settings advanced/firewall network settings will not let me see details so i cant do that please hellp
    Sunday, May 25, 2008 7:43 PM

Answers

•  

If you have used the Wireless Security feature of OneCare to secure your wireless network, but now your other devices can't connect to your router -  the following from Instant Help should cover it.

To add a device to a newly secured wireless network, follow the instructions in the manufacturer's manual for the device. If you need more help, contact the manufacturer of the device.

Note

You must enter the SSID and network key to add a device.

To add a computer to a wireless network if you used the Add a PC wizard in Windows Live OneCare:
    1. On the computer that you used to help secure the wireless network, click Change Settings.
    2. On Firewall tab, click Advanced settings.
    3. On the Network connections tab, click your wireless network, and then click Details.
    4. The SSID and network key appear in the Security Information area.
    Note

If you added a computer or a device to the network manually, read the instructions in the manufacturer's manual, or contact the manufacturer of the router for information about how to obtain the network name and network key.

If the above does not help, contact support per the link in Chuck's post.

-steve

Monday, May 26, 2008 7:35 PM

All replies

• Hi

It sounds like you need to get in touch with support, they can be found though here

http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2421771&SiteID=2

chuck

Monday, May 26, 2008 6:55 PM
  •  

If you have used the Wireless Security feature of OneCare to secure your wireless network, but now your other devices can't connect to your router -  the following from Instant Help should cover it.

To add a device to a newly secured wireless network, follow the instructions in the manufacturer's manual for the device. If you need more help, contact the manufacturer of the device.

Note

You must enter the SSID and network key to add a device.

To add a computer to a wireless network if you used the Add a PC wizard in Windows Live OneCare:
    1. On the computer that you used to help secure the wireless network, click Change Settings.
    2. On Firewall tab, click Advanced settings.
    3. On the Network connections tab, click your wireless network, and then click Details.
    4. The SSID and network key appear in the Security Information area.
    Note

If you added a computer or a device to the network manually, read the instructions in the manufacturer's manual, or contact the manufacturer of the router for information about how to obtain the network name and network key.

If the above does not help, contact support per the link in Chuck's post.

-steve

Monday, May 26, 2008 7:35 PM
  • Thanks got it >>.... I had to reboot my pc a couple of times to let me see the detalis under network settings/advancet tab once  that was done under details i could see what kind of encrypion one care used......
    Wednesday, May 28, 2008 10:55 PM
  • Glad to read that you got it sorted.

-steve

Thursday, May 29, 2008 2:23 PM
  •  

I'm having the same problem you were, trying to connect to the wifi network on my macbook. All you have to do is look at the details of the network on the PC? Do I need to set up a network somehow on the mac?
    Monday, October 20, 2008 11:25 PM
  • If you allowed OneCare to configure the network security for your wireless connection, yes, you go to that PC where OneCare is running and you will see the network key under details. If you don't see a details link, it wasn't configured from that PC via OneCare or by OneCare at all and you'd need to consult the router documentation for instructions on how to log onto the router to obtain this information.

Once you have the network details - SSID and Key/Encryption level, you will need to configure the connection on the Mac.

-steve

Tuesday, October 21, 2008 3:42 PM