WHS 2001 Build Suggestions RRS feed

• Question

• So my EX485 motherboard is toast so I need to build a WHS 2011 box.

I want a very small form factor, so I guess a micro ITX or ATX moterboard should be used.

I prefer an Intel processor and I've read that the Sandy Bridge line is good for WHS's.

I has to have USB 3.0

I dion't need RAID right now.

It's mainly used to store business files, Quickbooks company file, all our photos, and will want to stream out home movies from it.

I found a wish list at Newegg:

http://secure.newegg.com/WishList/PublicWishDetail.aspx?WishListNumber=18915305

Don't need the RAID card, hard drive, and don't know if the cable is needed and don't think 8GB of memory is needed (is it?)

Any suggestions pointing me in the right direction is greatly appreciated!
    Thanks,

Jamie

Wednesday, May 30, 2012 2:07 AM

All replies

• Generally that looks good, particularly your choice of PSU. It's difficult to say whether you will be able to find appropriate drivers for all the hardware, but generally W7 64-bit drivers should be OK. 8GB of memory is the maximum but is probably not actually needed but as it's cheap, why not. Be wary of USB3 which can cause problems with Server backups (I use eSATA instead).

Make sure you have server backups set up to protect your data in case of hardware failure etc.

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.

Saturday, June 2, 2012 11:56 AM