One Care source of problems RRS feed

• Question

• I am connected via dsl.  After installing One Care everything slowed to a crawl and I lost hotmail.  Uninstalled and speed came back but not hotmail.  I reinstalled One Care and everything slowed to a crawl again.  Still no hotmail.  Have again uninstalled again and everything is speedy again but still no hotmail.  As soon as I open my hotmail, live messenger it freezes.  Absent a solution I guess I will have to move my email to my isp(ATT) but I will still be sitting wih OneCare which I still cannot leave installed on my computer(Dell).  Any ideas?

Wednesday, April 22, 2009 4:31 PM

Answers

All replies

• OneCare should have absolutely no impact on Hotmail, though anything is certainly possible. The fact that "everything slowed to a crawl," if you mean that the PC slowed down, not specifically Internet connectivity, leads me to suspect that you have conflicting security software installed or not completely removed. If only your Internet connectivity was impacted, that could still be the cause, though that would be unusual.

Make sure that all other security software is removed, especially anything that has a real time component. If your prior security software offers a cleanup tool from the vendor, use it. Norton and McAfee offer such tools:

Norton Removal Tool - ftp://ftp.symantec.com/public/english_us_canada/removal_tools/Norton_Removal_Tool.exe

McAfee Removal Tool - http://www.majorgeeks.com/McAfee_Consumer_Product_Removal_Tool_d5420.html

Review the information available from here:

See this post for the KB article to troubleshoot install problems - http://social.microsoft.com/forums/en-US/onecareinstallandactivate/thread/ba26b781-da18-4ce4-be8c-22647bd5d8fc/

If the problems persist, please contact support:

How to reach support (FAQ) - http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/onecareinstallandactivate/thread/30400b52-7f26-4ba0-bc18-17e305329d90

What happens when you try to access Hotmail and how are you accessing it? Via a web browser or an email program? Which one?

-steve

Microsoft MVP Windows Live / Windows Live OneCare & Live Mesh Forum Moderator
    Wednesday, April 22, 2009 5:03 PM
  • steve
    I have gone ahead and used the Norton removal tool and will now work through the rest of your suggestions.  With hotmail it makes no difference how I access it.  As soon as it comes up it freezes.  I continue to ge new email but can't open to read.  Thank you so much. savjay(Jay)
    Wednesday, April 22, 2009 5:42 PM
  • Are you accessing Hotmail in your web browser?

-steve
    Wednesday, April 22, 2009 7:14 PM
  • Yes.  I have reinstalled OneCare and I think it may be okay.  Hotmail is still freezing up.  I am trying anything I can.  Jay
    Wednesday, April 22, 2009 8:04 PM
  • Stumbled accross suggestion that I unistall Live Messenger and, presto, this seems to have worked.  I may try downloading it again at a later time.  Thank you for your help.
    Wednesday, April 22, 2009 8:47 PM
  • Good luck to you.
    -steve

Thursday, April 23, 2009 1:56 PM