A couple of issues here. RRS feed

• Question

•  

My WHS will not start the Backup Service. In Console it says that the Backup Service is not running. I can RDP in an open Services and it shows that it should start Automatic, I can Start the service from there and it shows running. But the Console never changes from "Not Running"

While troubleshooting I noticed that my Server is making a "Beep" It sounds like the Bios Beeper on the MOBO it is one beep every minute or so. Device Manager shows everything good no exclamation marks. Maybe related to the Backup Service? Separate issue? How do I find out what the Beep is trying to tell me?

Oh yeah, when is WHS going to be available to buy in the US? I'll buy a new MOBO and start all over. Just kidding about "When will it be here" I've been watching and getting a kick out of the impatience. But I do intend to build a new box after I get the software.

Friday, September 21, 2007 1:28 PM

Answers

• I would say just waiting a few weeks is your best bet, then. Getting your backup service running could require reinstalling WHS, and we can't be that far from release. Smile

Just to confirm: you've gone through SME's "10 step program" to clear out your old backups, right? (Probably starting with step 4; 1-3 aren't strictly needed.) There are reports that you can clear up some other backup related errors as well.
    Saturday, September 22, 2007 3:41 PM

All replies

• Interesting...2 things comes to mind.

Please check BIOS for RAID and Wake on LAN settings. These both should be off.

Friday, September 21, 2007 3:42 PM
  • Checked. No RAID in BIOS and WOL was off. After re-boot Backup Service still off. I RDP'd in and started the BU Service. But Console still reports not running. Same beep. Thanks still puzzeled.

Friday, September 21, 2007 4:07 PM
  •  RonRock wrote:

My WHS will not start the Backup Service. In Console it says that the Backup Service is not running. I can RDP in an open Services and it shows that it should start Automatic, I can Start the service from there and it shows running. But the Console never changes from "Not Running"

Try resetting the console. When you're at the Console login screen, in the dropdown there's an option to reset it. Select that, then log in. That causes the console (which is running on the server) to stop and restart.
     RonRock wrote:
    While troubleshooting I noticed that my Server is making a "Beep" It sounds like the Bios Beeper on the MOBO it is one beep every minute or so. Device Manager shows everything good no exclamation marks. Maybe related to the Backup Service? Separate issue? How do I find out what the Beep is trying to tell me?
    Check your CMOS battery. Some MBs will beep every now and then when the battery is low. I habitually throw out the CMOS battery that comes with a motherboard and put in one that I know is fresh. They last for years, but I've had more than one brand new MB refuse to POST until I did that.

Saturday, September 22, 2007 1:25 AM
  • Thanks, I have tried several times to reset the console. I see the reset option in the dropdown and get the warning when I choose Reset, then OK. then open Counsole and still no Backup Service. Do I need to be working on the Server or is a Client OK? I have onlt tried from a Client. At any rate Resetting the Counsole has no effect.

I'll get a battery today.

Saturday, September 22, 2007 1:26 PM
  • Note: when you replace the CMOS battery, you will have to reset the system date/time. If you're running RC1, you should be prepared for a server reinstallation/phone reactivation when you do this, as you'll likely trigger the OS timebomb.
    Saturday, September 22, 2007 2:42 PM
  • Maybe I'll just leave the battery alone. It can't be too much longer till the release in the USA. I plan on building a new box then anyway. I would like to get my backup service running though.

Saturday, September 22, 2007 3:27 PM
  • I would say just waiting a few weeks is your best bet, then. Getting your backup service running could require reinstalling WHS, and we can't be that far from release. Smile

Just to confirm: you've gone through SME's "10 step program" to clear out your old backups, right? (Probably starting with step 4; 1-3 aren't strictly needed.) There are reports that you can clear up some other backup related errors as well.
    Saturday, September 22, 2007 3:41 PM
  • Another nice job, Ken. I followed the steps and a Manual Backup is running now. Afterwards I'll reboot the server and see if the Backup Service starts, but it looks like it will. Thank You, Ron

Saturday, September 22, 2007 5:22 PM