First time startup questions RRS feed

• Question

•  

I am in the process of building my WHS and I am only waiting on the MOBO to arrive.

I have several questions about what happens when I get the WHS up and running.

I have three PCs not including the WHS. One is a VISTA OS box (to be used as the WHS console) hardwired to a router and two XP OS (laptop and desktop cases) wireless networked to same router.

First question:

Will the WHS handle the intial first time backup on all three PCs at the same time?

Second question:

If having to run intial backup on one PC at a time, does WHS notify when the backup is complete so I can crank up the next PC?

Third question:

Which is better? Sleep or Hibernation mode for the three PCs when I am not using them for WHS use. I am assuming that the OS 'soft' shutdown is not a option.

Fourth question:

I want to run PerfectDisk 2008 Defragger on the WHS. When will be the best time to install the software? Before or after the intial data balance?

Saturday, February 16, 2008 4:48 PM

Answers

• To answer your questions :

1 - no, each computer is backed up individually so pick 1, then another and then the last.

2 - yes

3 - I would say sleep

4 - whenever you want to be honest

Andrew

Saturday, February 16, 2008 5:00 PM

All replies

• To answer your questions :

1 - no, each computer is backed up individually so pick 1, then another and then the last.

2 - yes

3 - I would say sleep

4 - whenever you want to be honest

Andrew

Saturday, February 16, 2008 5:00 PM
  • Thanks!

That works for me.

Saturday, February 16, 2008 5:12 PM
  • You are welcome.

If you think of any more questions just ask away :-)

Andrew

Saturday, February 16, 2008 5:23 PM
  • As to question number four, I believe installing it at once would be the way to go. Why allow the files to become fragmented, if you don't have to?

Also you want if at all possible to connet by wire, and not wirelessly for the first backup,

Saturday, February 16, 2008 6:00 PM
  • Sorry to come in late here Raz, but I thought it important to clarify your question on DEFRAG on your WHS.

Microsoft says "don't defrag your Windows Home Server hard drives"

Here's an extract from Page 16 of the Technical Brief for Windows Home Server ...

Technical Brief for Windows Home Server
    Drive Extender
    Published: October 2007
    Version: 1.0

Caution You should not use the DEFRAG utility on your Windows Home Server hard drives. Defragmentation does not affect the primary data partition in a home server with multiple hard drives because the majority of files are 4 KB tombstones. The DEFRAG utility may cause issues with the Volume Shadow Copy Service that runs every 12 hours to create previous version snapshots of the shared folders on the home server.

HTH

Colin

Edit: I'm catching up on the threads here and I see references to "WHS-ready" versions of PerfectDisk etc., but even so, I'd place defragmentation low on my list of priorities at this early stage in WHS life. WHS is young, so "WHS-ready" versions of 3rd party defrag programs must also be young. Personally I'd give things (like DE, and Microsoft's advice above) a few more months to mature before trusting such obviously disk-intensive 3rd party tools. Just my 2pence.
    Colin

Monday, February 18, 2008 1:27 AM
  •  CSPea wrote:
    Sorry to come in late here Raz, but I thought it important to clarify your question on DEFRAG on your WHS.

Microsoft says "don't defrag your Windows Home Server hard drives"

Here's an extract from Page 16 of the Technical Brief for Windows Home Server ...

Technical Brief for Windows Home Server
    Drive Extender
    Published: October 2007
    Version: 1.0

Caution You should not use the DEFRAG utility on your Windows Home Server hard drives. Defragmentation does not affect the primary data partition in a home server with multiple hard drives because the majority of files are 4 KB tombstones. The DEFRAG utility may cause issues with the Volume Shadow Copy Service that runs every 12 hours to create previous version snapshots of the shared folders on the home server.

HTH

Colin

Edit: I'm catching up on the threads here and I see references to "WHS-ready" versions of PerfectDisk etc., but even so, I'd place defragmentation low on my list of priorities at this early stage in WHS life. WHS is young, so "WHS-ready" versions of 3rd party defrag programs must also be young. Personally I'd give things (like DE, and Microsoft's advice above) a few more months to mature before trusting such obviously disk-intensive 3rd party tools. Just my 2pence.
    Colin

I cant speak for PerfectDisk but I know that the Diskeeper guys worked very closely with Micrsoft on developing the WHS aware version of their product. In fact, the defrag software that is built into Windows was developed by Diskeeper so I would think its safe to say they know what they are doing :-)

The Diskeeper for WHS software is VSS aware as well - I have been running it since beta and havent experienced any problems so far.

Andrew

Monday, February 18, 2008 7:52 AM
  • Those are fair points Andrew about the product histories, but (while not seeking to open a whole dialogue on the pros & cons of defragging on WHS-fresh-out-of-beta) I'm intrigued at your apparently polar-opposite stance from Microsoft's Drive Extender Tech Note!

I owned and used earlier versions of both Diskeeper and (later)PerfectDisk on my own systems - trouble free for years, though I only ever recommended and used Windows' built-in defrag utility on clients servers and desktops I built and supported.

Yes I was surprised to read that advice on defrag in the DE Tech Note I quoted, and I accept that some folks here will make their own minds up whether to add a defragmentation workload to the hard work already being done (it seems) on WHS disk systems, but I reckon that the most prudent position for someone seeking "First time startup" advice like the OP would be to heed Microsoft's advice.

Colin P.

Monday, February 18, 2008 12:47 PM
  • I certainly agree that using the inbuilt degrag program is a bad idea, but not a version built specifically for WHS that deals with the issues as to why you shouldnt use the inbuilt one.

Both the PerfectDisk and Diskeeper WHS aware products are fairly recent, and the DE paper is a little older (even though the DK product has been around in beta for a while).

Its not uncommon for Microsoft to not actively encourage users to buy other companies products though. The DE paper advises not to use the inbuilt defrag software (at least that is the esence - and I have discussed his with the WHS team).

But at the end of the day its up to people to make up their own mind though, you need to be comfortable.

Given all the various problems with corruption at this moment, if either of those two products caused issues, people would post here :-)

Andrew

Monday, February 18, 2008 6:35 PM
  • I accept and acknowledge your points Andrew, especially on the relative ages of the Tech Note and the defrag' products.

I'm just a bit more risk-averse than some folks. My former collegues would agree that I tread warily in new ground - though eventually my clients thanked me for the same reasons.

Andrew Edney wrote:

The DE paper advises not to use the inbuilt defrag software (at least that is the essence  [my underlining] - and I have discussed this with the WHS team).

Indeed - it's not a perfect world, and it's a shame that in the Tech Note, Microsoft gave special text-box emphasis to their "don't use DEFRAG" instruction, and then later admit (to you for example) that in essence ... they referred only to the built-in utility.  But I applaud this Forum where we can at least learn about "re-interpretations" like this one (with echoes of the longer RAID discussions), and I also celebrate Microsoft's much more open dialogue in recent years with us all.

Andrew Edney wrote:
    Given all the various problems with corruption at this moment, if either of those two products caused issues, people would post here :-) 

Andrew

Yes, (though I hesitate to drag out this thread within a thread) I'm sure folks would post here - in a defrag context - if they spotted a clear correlation between system glitches and their use of a defragmentation session.  But long experience has taught me that an absence of such 'community' chatter about system glitches with product 'X' or component 'Y', is no guarantee that there are no such glitches lurking on your unlucky day.  I learnt that painful lesson way back in the old dialup/newsgroup 'community' era, and I doubt things are any different now, given the far higher complexities in OSs and their software sub-systems.

Sure, it's also true that Beta testing phases in those days were on a far smaller scale than today, with far less interaction with the developers, but nevertheless I'll continue to build my systems in steady, tested and proven stages, pausing before adding non-trivial 3rd party tools, and hopefully ... hopefully ... spend a bit less time scratching my head under pressure on a crashed but presumed 'finished' system.  I salute others who can work differently and get away with it. (Which is not to imply that that is your style Andrew.)

Regards,
    Colin P.

Monday, February 18, 2008 11:38 PM
  • Colin, I completely agree with you, Ive been bitten in the past as well :-)

When I tested DK I was not using my "production" WHS box - it was my test box and it worked fine. When the fully released version of DK came out I had an HP MediaSmart box and so figured I would give it a go.

So far I havent had problems - but obviously thats not say now that I have typed this all my data will die :-)

In terms of defrag, it really depends on how much data you are going to be storing on your WHS and how often you are going to be adding more. Ill be honest, I cant say Ive noticed a real difference having DK running, its just one of those "warm and fuzzy" feelings as Im so used to having defrag software running on my computers.

If you are still not sure, give it a while, see what happens with both your WHS and also with people posting about defrag software. It never hurts to be cautious.

Andrew

Tuesday, February 19, 2008 8:18 AM
  •  

Hmmm, I think I will wait on getting the defrag program installed.

I will let the WHS run for a while and see how it does by itself.

Thanks for all the info, guys.

Friday, February 22, 2008 11:25 PM
  • Yet another question.

Does the WHS PC have to plugged into the router when loading up the software?

Saturday, March 1, 2008 2:26 PM
  • No..
    Saturday, March 1, 2008 2:41 PM
  • Thanks!

Saturday, March 1, 2008 3:42 PM