cannot update & cannot check for update RRS feed

• Question

•  

I got a red risk status for updating virus and spyware. When I clicked the "UPDATE" button within the notification box, the update would not start automatically. I also noticed that I am unable to check "checking for update" option under "protection plus" on the main OneCare page. I tried to clean the database by downloading the software from one of the solutions suggest, but there was no luck. I tried the steps "1-4" in one of the articles that's recommended, all the conditions are met, but nothing changes on the OneCare window.

Another related problem is that the Windows Defender would not allow me to turn the Windows Defender on. It will not check for update, and obviously it will not update.

What shall I do to fix the problem without uninstall the program?

ps I only get access to the internet in a public Workspace setting.

Thanks very much

Friday, September 12, 2008 10:11 PM

Answers

• bingo2,

Windows Defender is turned off when OneCare is installed.

As for the update issue, please do the following to see if this works:

Please try the following once more and if you are still getting the yellow/fair status continue with the instructions below and we can help to further investigate this for you.

1.       Go to the windows update site and click on “check for updates”. Ensure that there are no pending updates

2.       Restart the OneCare service. Steps below

a.       Open command prompt

i.      XP -> Click Start ->Run>type CMD>then click OK

ii.      VISTA -> Click Start -> Right click on “Command Prompt” -> click “run as administrator”

b.      In the command prompt

i.      Type NET STOP WINSS then hit enter

ii.      Type NET START WINSS then hit enter

c.       Close command prompt

d.      Wait for 5 minutes and then open OneCare and verify if the action item is disappeared

Lori MS

Friday, September 12, 2008 11:44 PM

All replies

• bingo2,

Windows Defender is turned off when OneCare is installed.

As for the update issue, please do the following to see if this works:

Please try the following once more and if you are still getting the yellow/fair status continue with the instructions below and we can help to further investigate this for you.

1.       Go to the windows update site and click on “check for updates”. Ensure that there are no pending updates

2.       Restart the OneCare service. Steps below

a.       Open command prompt

i.      XP -> Click Start ->Run>type CMD>then click OK

ii.      VISTA -> Click Start -> Right click on “Command Prompt” -> click “run as administrator”

b.      In the command prompt

i.      Type NET STOP WINSS then hit enter

ii.      Type NET START WINSS then hit enter

c.       Close command prompt

d.      Wait for 5 minutes and then open OneCare and verify if the action item is disappeared

Lori MS

Friday, September 12, 2008 11:44 PM
  • HI LORI thank you very much for your reply. Now my problems are solved! Im very thankful for your help.

Saturday, September 13, 2008 1:01 AM
  • Hi had the same problem I was seaching the net for a sulation to the problem. I fixed the problem, I ran a tune up it can take 1hr. and 20 minets on a DSL or Cable LAN (Local Area Network).It may take longer if you use a dial up modem.

This problem is most likely caused by a file blocking the anti virus from updating automaticly.

Running a tuneup should fix the problem.

After running a tuneup your live 1 Care status will turn yellow for Fair Status wich means you need to backup your files.

I recommed putting your sensitive files on a flash drive or externle hard drive. ( NOT on a entcarernle heard drive) you sholud only install programs; be carefull what you download off the net!!!

Hope this helps!!!!! Smile

you Can email me and let me know.

carl32724@gmail.com.donotspam
    Saturday, September 13, 2008 1:20 AM