Windows Home Server Automatic Backup Not working/Not waking up RRS feed

• Question

• Any idea why I can't get WHS to do automatic backups for my Windows 7-64 bit desktop? It does manual backups fine. But, I've set the server to backup automatically at night. It is supposed to wake the Windows 7 Desktop.

Does WHS Backup used the client's Task scheduler? If so, there is no task listed in my Windows 7 client.
    Does my network adapter need to be set so that it doesn't sleep?
    Is there something I need to do in my BIOS settings to make this work?
    Do I need to set my wake timers or something in APM?

I'm using a desktop that is always on AC power.

Any suggestions appreciated.
    Wednesday, December 9, 2009 9:32 PM

All replies

• This may seem like a simple thing, but have you been putting the computer into hibernation/sleep mode? Or shutting it off?

Windows Home Server uses a combination of a hidden task and hardware timers (both on the client) to wake a computer for backup. There are a number of things that can interfere with this, though, and sorting sleep issues out is always a pain. Start by setting your backup window to a time when you're sure you can observe the computer throughout, back the computer up to your server, then put it into sleep and watch it for a couple of days to see if it's waking at all.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Wednesday, December 9, 2009 9:57 PM
  • Hi, I am having the same problem as well with Windows 7 64-bit.  I have the computer set to NEVER hibernate, but put the computer to sleep when finished using it.  It is also set to go to sleep after 1 hour of inactivity on it's own.  All of my other machines are waking up for backup, including a laptop running Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit, same as the machine that is not waking up.  Haven't been able to figure it out.  Had this problem a while ago with an XP Pro machine, but just ran the configure backup option again and everything was fine after that.  Unfortunately that did not work for this new machine.
    Sunday, December 27, 2009 3:07 AM
  • I am having the same problem with my laptop my pc works fine if it goes more than a couple of days and changes status to network at risk as soon as i turn my pc on it will start a backup, however my laptop will not start? very frustrating as i have to manually back it up or see annoying network at risk messages. My back up period is from 12am to 11pm (all day).

Can anyone help?
    Monday, February 8, 2010 10:53 AM
  • Any idea why I can't get WHS to do automatic backups for my Windows 7-64 bit desktop? It does manual backups fine. But, I've set the server to backup automatically at night. It is supposed to wake the Windows 7 Desktop.

I have this problem, too. I put the PC to sleep, WHS is set to wake it up but it doesn't. My first thought that it was because I'd had the network card set not to be allowed to wake up the PC (in device management) but I turned that off and it still doesn't wake up. (The HS is an Acer H340.)
    Saturday, April 10, 2010 8:40 AM
  • Have you watched the PC in question through an entire backup window to see if it's waking but not backing up, or not waking at all?
    Saturday, April 10, 2010 11:35 AM
  • I have a similar problem. Win 7 Pro x64 desktop machine. Sometimes backs up, sometimes does not. I know from looking at the event log that it always wakes up sometime after midnight, even if it doesn't back up. When it succeeds in backing up, I get messages from "HomeServer" showing the volumes backed up. If it doesn't back up there are no messages at all from "HomeServer" (HomeServer messages actually seem to come from BackupEngine.exe) and there are no failure messages from any other WHS client components. Thus it appears that WHSConnector.exe is waking the machine for backup, but for some reason is failing to start BackupEngine.exe.

Odd thing is another Win 7 x64 machine backs up like clock work every single night. Naturally the one that is not reliably backing up is the one that most needs to be backed up each night.

I would really be interested in knowing if anyone else has a machine that is not backing up, but is waking up.

Thursday, April 15, 2010 11:48 PM
  • Same question I asked Narrowgauge: have you watched (without touching) the PC in question to see what's going on?
    Friday, April 16, 2010 2:03 AM
  • Using ProcessMonitor I think I have found part of the problem. When it fails and WHSConnector wakes up the machine it looks in the registry for
    HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows Home Server\Backup\AutoWake
    and gets
    NAME NOT FOUND Length: 144
    I found that if the server is awake and I bring up the Home Server tray menu, Wake this Computer for Backup is checked and then instantly, ProcessMonitor shows this key returning a value of 1.
    Now what I have to find is what sequence of events causes this key to be removed from the registry.
    I suspect it will prove to be doing something with the server being asleep when the client is awake, since the ability to put the server to sleep is an HP extension, possibly not anticipated by Microsoft. Since I do not use the server for anything other than backups, it is asleep a lot.
    Over the last few days I have let WHS run 24 hours a day. I have not had any failures.
    So while I still haven't identified precisely the sequence of events that causes the key to disappear, I'm pretty sure that losing it causes a problem.
    Thursday, April 22, 2010 12:11 AM
  • I have a HP E9290F unit with the same problem.  Any resolution?
    Thursday, June 3, 2010 6:15 AM
  • Monday, July 19, 2010 6:34 PM