none
How to setup a share for a external hard drive that is not going to be added the the storage pool RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I have an external hard drive connected to the WHS system but it not added to the storage pool.  I want to keep this external drive connected to the WHS at all times but I want to be able to read and write data to that external drive.  I can't seem to find out how to setup the share for the external drive.  Do I do it in the WHS console or what?

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,

Chuck 

Sunday, February 3, 2008 9:12 PM

Answers

• You will need to gain access to the Windows Desktop on the WHS. This depends whether you have screen, keyboard, mouse or not.

If you haven't, you need to use Remote Desktop Connection from a PC on your home network to connect to the WHS. You log in as Administrator with the WHS password (sorry if I'm teaching you to 'suck eggs' but I couldn't tell from your post what level to pitch at).

Once logged in, you create the share very much like you would on Windows XP. Make the directory on the drive you have added and right-click to set up the Share.

Sunday, February 3, 2008 9:48 PM

All replies

• You will need to gain access to the Windows Desktop on the WHS. This depends whether you have screen, keyboard, mouse or not.

If you haven't, you need to use Remote Desktop Connection from a PC on your home network to connect to the WHS. You log in as Administrator with the WHS password (sorry if I'm teaching you to 'suck eggs' but I couldn't tell from your post what level to pitch at).

Once logged in, you create the share very much like you would on Windows XP. Make the directory on the drive you have added and right-click to set up the Share.

Sunday, February 3, 2008 9:48 PM
  • Thanks for your input.  I have set up shares before in XP but I wasn't sure if I would set them up the same in WHS since it said it could "break" the server.  I didn't want to tempt fate.  So, if I log onto the server via admin privledges and set "everyone" up as full control it should work fine.  Is that correct?

Thanks again,

Chuck

Sunday, February 3, 2008 9:59 PM
  • That should be OK. I've set up a couple of shares on the C: and D: drives - I haven't got another drive not in the pool at the moment. The key is to steer clear of the folders and shares already on D:.

Sunday, February 3, 2008 10:04 PM
  • I went ahead and did it like I normally would on XP and it worked fine.

Thanks for your help,

Chuck

Sunday, February 3, 2008 10:09 PM