Uploading Files RRS feed

• Question

• I have windows home server installed the primary drive is 160Gig and then their is a second Drive of 500G, I have duplication set off so the sys would recognize the whole partion as 660G, However if I do any of the following.

Upload to the Network Share either through home connector or over the home network

or connect via RDP to the Console and open the folder and then simply copy and past thoose folders their

I run out of room based solely on the fact that it is only using the 160g Drive, I have not attempted to use the web interface to upload, But if that is the only way for the OS to manage the RAID then some work should be done in allowing multiple files (IE select ALL etc)

Based on about 300-400 Items I would estimate me sitting here all day babysitting the web interface.

Any other thoughts?
    Monday, May 21, 2007 8:18 PM

Answers

• Jorge, it sounds like you have been copying files directly to the file system of D: using Remote Desktop and Windows Explorer. Is that correct?

If so, then I suspect that is the source of your problems. You should only copy files to the network shares. On WHS there's a shortcut on the desktop to them; you should use that if you're going to copy files using Remote Desktop. To recover, you'll probably have to locate and remove the files you copied using Explorer via RD.
    Monday, May 21, 2007 11:56 PM

All replies

• As has been mentioned on lots of other threads - because of the way the storage is done, you should be using your largest drive as the primary drive. (Due to the way the filesystem works, other computers will only ever see the amount of free space left on the primary drive - which WHS should try to keep as large as possible by moving the data onto the other drives in the storage pool)

However, having said that - 160GB as a primary drive is reasonable, with 10GB for the system, you should only be encountering a problem if you're trying to copy more than around 150GB of files at the same time.

Go into the home server via RDP and go into the disk management part (Start Menu, then right click on My Computer and select Manage, then Disk Management). How much free space is on the D: drive, and how much on the other drive called Data (Won't have a drive letter if it's been added to the WHS storage pool).

Also, you should check in Task Manager that there is a process running called DEMigrator.exe. If it isn't, then the data will never be moved onto the secondary drive to free up the space on the primary again.

Go into the Services, and on my system, the service called Drive Extender Migrator is set to Manual startup, so make sure yours is set to the same, and reboot the WHS. (I wonder why it's on manual, presumably someone else can answer that - I'm assuming it's started by another process during boot up)

Monday, May 21, 2007 8:31 PM
  • Jorge, it sounds like you have been copying files directly to the file system of D: using Remote Desktop and Windows Explorer. Is that correct?

If so, then I suspect that is the source of your problems. You should only copy files to the network shares. On WHS there's a shortcut on the desktop to them; you should use that if you're going to copy files using Remote Desktop. To recover, you'll probably have to locate and remove the files you copied using Explorer via RD.
    Monday, May 21, 2007 11:56 PM