none
Syncing 2 big mp3 collections - is SyncToy the answer for me ? RRS feed

• Question

• hi

This may seem rather dim, but I've never known how to do it in Windows.

I regularly update my main mp3 collection at home (now at about 165GB).

I then occasionally update my work collection from this main collection ie. take my work USB HD home and copy over the music collection.

Now I haven't figured a way to ONLY copy over new folders/files - I just copy the whole thing over (which obviously takes a bit of time).

Will SyncToy do this ?

Will it keep both new music files/folders AND updated mp3's (e.g. corrected metadata) in sync ?

If so, are there some good instructions as to how I can achieve what I want ?

thanks

swayzak
    Monday, November 10, 2008 12:56 PM

Answers

• it is made just for this sort of thing, the original concept being for photography lovers who have enormous collections of images. should work fine, AS LONG AS you use the same filenames and folder structures in both platforms. If you have not been going about it that way, it takes a little work to get the 2 bodies of data set up right at the start, but will pay off a lot in reducing your overall size by not having a 2 or more copies of the same thing on both sides of your folder pairs.

Monday, November 10, 2008 6:13 PM

All replies

• it is made just for this sort of thing, the original concept being for photography lovers who have enormous collections of images. should work fine, AS LONG AS you use the same filenames and folder structures in both platforms. If you have not been going about it that way, it takes a little work to get the 2 bodies of data set up right at the start, but will pay off a lot in reducing your overall size by not having a 2 or more copies of the same thing on both sides of your folder pairs.

Monday, November 10, 2008 6:13 PM
  • Watch out for duplicating files.  I've tried the same thing but kept getting the files duplicated during each sync.  Try it once and make sure iTunes isn't showing 2 & 3 versions of the same thing.  It's a pain to clean up.
    Monday, November 10, 2008 11:11 PM
  • Thanks folks - will give it a try.
    Tuesday, November 11, 2008 10:37 AM