Around 11GB missing after installing the Power Pack RTM RRS feed

• Question

• First of all, great work to Microsoft on making this available! I've been waiting for this. Big Smile

I've downloaded and installed the RTM Power pack 1 on my WHS box.

One thing I noticed was that the Free Space is now showing around 11GB less space than before.

Is it normal? Where does it go to? What is it used for?

Thanks,

Tony

Tuesday, July 22, 2008 8:45 AM

Answers

• Not sure if this applies, but from the PP1 release documentation (available at http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=F219DD13-3D9A-4506-8BE2-FBCC4E195415&displaylang=en), though that's a big difference, it could be due to the way that free/used space is calculated after the update:

"
    A new and improved storage size algorithm is implemented for listing Server Storage usage.

·      Free space is now measured from the hard drives connected to your home server.

·      Prior to Power Pack 1, the System size was computed based on the size of the C: partition (20GB) and the size of D:\folders\.  With Power Pack 1, the System size is now calculated as total size minus the sum of the shared folders, duplicated folders, and home computer backups.

·      After Power Pack 1 is installed, you may see an increase in the System size because of the new algorithm. The increased size accounts for volume shadow copies, the Recycle Bin, as well as any files that are stored on your home server outside the shared folders or application folders.

To reclaim the space, try the following:

·      Empty the Recycle Bin. If you use your home server as a desktop, the Recycle Bin may have some files in it.

·      Check the following folder to view and delete and orphan shadow files: folders\{1618D36B-F4E7-4360-B070-A32070519DC9}\

·      Delete the existing shadow copies. To do this, open a command prompt window on your home server (via a Remote Desktop Connection or using the Windows Home Server Toolkit Add-in) and run the following command: vssadmin delete shadows/all.

Caution! If you do this, all the folder and file previous versions in your Windows Home Server shared folders will be deleted."

Tuesday, July 22, 2008 1:48 PM

All replies

• Not sure if this applies, but from the PP1 release documentation (available at http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=F219DD13-3D9A-4506-8BE2-FBCC4E195415&displaylang=en), though that's a big difference, it could be due to the way that free/used space is calculated after the update:

"
    A new and improved storage size algorithm is implemented for listing Server Storage usage.

·      Free space is now measured from the hard drives connected to your home server.

·      Prior to Power Pack 1, the System size was computed based on the size of the C: partition (20GB) and the size of D:\folders\.  With Power Pack 1, the System size is now calculated as total size minus the sum of the shared folders, duplicated folders, and home computer backups.

·      After Power Pack 1 is installed, you may see an increase in the System size because of the new algorithm. The increased size accounts for volume shadow copies, the Recycle Bin, as well as any files that are stored on your home server outside the shared folders or application folders.

To reclaim the space, try the following:

·      Empty the Recycle Bin. If you use your home server as a desktop, the Recycle Bin may have some files in it.

·      Check the following folder to view and delete and orphan shadow files: folders\{1618D36B-F4E7-4360-B070-A32070519DC9}\

·      Delete the existing shadow copies. To do this, open a command prompt window on your home server (via a Remote Desktop Connection or using the Windows Home Server Toolkit Add-in) and run the following command: vssadmin delete shadows/all.

Caution! If you do this, all the folder and file previous versions in your Windows Home Server shared folders will be deleted."

Tuesday, July 22, 2008 1:48 PM
  • Thanks for the reply. It does make sense. It's just that 11GB is a big drop hence posting this question.

Now I need to buy a bigger HDD lol.

Cheers,

Tony

Tuesday, July 22, 2008 2:14 PM
  • Good catch.  I didn't notice it right off.  However, I have the Disk Management Add-in installed and that Add-in shows 10GB more available storage than the Server Storage tab.  I'm sure it's related to the change mentioned above.  I'll post to a forum dedicated to that Add-in to make sure the developer is aware.

Cheers!

Wednesday, July 23, 2008 3:00 AM
  • Yep, I am seeing the same issue. The add-in just needs updating to work with the latest release.

Wednesday, July 23, 2008 10:26 AM