Contacts Synching Outlook 2003 with CRM 4.0 RRS feed

• Question

•  

Hi All,

Anyone having issues with CRM contacts synching to Outlook (2003) contacts?. Sometime it works, most of the time it doesn't. It's really frustrating. I've tried 'Sharing' a contact from CRM to designated users. We also set up a many to many relationship in the contacts object that sets a contact to synch to designated users, this requires modifying Lcal Data Groups but it's also flaky. Or is the solution to upgrade to Outloo 2007?

Thanks

Monday, November 10, 2008 6:59 AM

Answers

• Instead of sharing contacts and setting up a custom many to many relationship, I would configure the contacts somewhat differently.

Many to many relationship functionality is very limited--you can't get to it through advanced find or through the local data settings, can't use workflow, etc.

So if you want something to use that you can base your rules on, best is to do a 1 : N relationship, say for team, and assign your companies to teams.  Then you can access that through the local data settings and configure those contacts to synch.  Or set up a custom entity called sync user that is N:1 related to the Account and have the synch user owner be the user that the record should synch with.  Then in local data settings, set the contacts to synch where the contact's related synch user owner = current user.

I don't think your issue is an Outlook 2003 issue, I think you just need to better define your contact sync requirements and configure the local data settings in a way that works with CRM.

It is hard, from my experience, to come up with one local data setting configuration that works for all users in a company.  if you do, some users will be frustrated because they don't have enough contacts, others will be frustrated because they have too many.

In our company, for example, we have one guy who's local data settings are set to contacts where related company state = TX, another guy has the synch rule set to contacts where the associated company's associated project record (custom entity) project manager = current user.

Monday, November 10, 2008 12:03 PM

All replies

• Instead of sharing contacts and setting up a custom many to many relationship, I would configure the contacts somewhat differently.

Many to many relationship functionality is very limited--you can't get to it through advanced find or through the local data settings, can't use workflow, etc.

So if you want something to use that you can base your rules on, best is to do a 1 : N relationship, say for team, and assign your companies to teams.  Then you can access that through the local data settings and configure those contacts to synch.  Or set up a custom entity called sync user that is N:1 related to the Account and have the synch user owner be the user that the record should synch with.  Then in local data settings, set the contacts to synch where the contact's related synch user owner = current user.

I don't think your issue is an Outlook 2003 issue, I think you just need to better define your contact sync requirements and configure the local data settings in a way that works with CRM.

It is hard, from my experience, to come up with one local data setting configuration that works for all users in a company.  if you do, some users will be frustrated because they don't have enough contacts, others will be frustrated because they have too many.

In our company, for example, we have one guy who's local data settings are set to contacts where related company state = TX, another guy has the synch rule set to contacts where the associated company's associated project record (custom entity) project manager = current user.

Monday, November 10, 2008 12:03 PM
  • Hi Joel,

Thanks for the reply, I will certainly look into this tomorrow (location Australia).

Let me elaborate a little on my problem. We're pretty much doing the custom entity where there is custom N:N entity on the contact object. You then modify a particular contact and assign CRM users set this custom entity. Then in the Local Data settings, we set this custom entity to be 'user equals current user'. The idea behind is to be able to assign CRM contacts to different CRM users

e.g  

Contact XYZ is to sync with users John, Michael and Sam 

Contact ABC is to be synched with Nathan, Archie and Mark

Contact XYZ and ABC to be synched with David, Rob and Sue

The weird thing is sometimes it works and most times it doesn't, and if I edit any contact details then do a manual synch on Outlook 2003 then the contacts will synch to the designated users. It's really annoying, it can't make up it's mind whether to synch or not to synch. I'm trying to find a pattern and even tried using the 'Sharing' in the action menu of the contact Object.

Your suggestions and comments are most welcome.

Thanks again Joel

by the way, I need to come up with a solution by end of week so keep suggesting please :-)

Monday, November 10, 2008 1:47 PM