1.5 or 3.0 gb/s sata HD RRS feed

• Question

• I am looking to buy 3 1tb harddrives for my WHS.
    Are the sata 3.0 gb/s compatible with the home server?

Here is the link to the HD I want to buy:  http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822148274
    Any help would be appreciated.
    Thank You

Also if anyone can describe what the 1.5   -    3.0 means on harddrives it sounds like it has something to do with transfer speeds
    thanks
    Saturday, March 29, 2008 7:08 AM

Answers

• If you need several terabytes of additional storage, and you also need to minimize the number of drives you have installed, then those should be fine. There are no drives available today that take advantage of the speed difference between a 1.5 Gbps bus (SATA) and a 3.0 Gbps bus (SATA II), so you won't see improved performance.

The sweet spot for drives is currently 500 MB, which are selling for ~$.20/GB. If up front cost is your main consideration, 6x 500 GB drives would be a better choice.
    Saturday, March 29, 2008 12:41 PM
  • If you have access to Fry's Electronics, they're advertising Maxtor 1TB 3.0gb/s drives for $199 each.  Occassionally they have been selling the Seagate 1TB 3.0gb/s drives for $234.  I got two of the Seagate drives when they were selling for $269.  I might go get one of those Maxtor drives, just to fill that empty bay on my HP MSS EX470.

SilkRod

Saturday, March 29, 2008 3:41 PM

All replies

•  

If you can afford those drives go for it!  The difference is speed and the ones you have picked are nice and fast.

Mike

Saturday, March 29, 2008 11:13 AM
  • If you need several terabytes of additional storage, and you also need to minimize the number of drives you have installed, then those should be fine. There are no drives available today that take advantage of the speed difference between a 1.5 Gbps bus (SATA) and a 3.0 Gbps bus (SATA II), so you won't see improved performance.

The sweet spot for drives is currently 500 MB, which are selling for ~$.20/GB. If up front cost is your main consideration, 6x 500 GB drives would be a better choice.
    Saturday, March 29, 2008 12:41 PM
  • If you have access to Fry's Electronics, they're advertising Maxtor 1TB 3.0gb/s drives for $199 each.  Occassionally they have been selling the Seagate 1TB 3.0gb/s drives for $234.  I got two of the Seagate drives when they were selling for $269.  I might go get one of those Maxtor drives, just to fill that empty bay on my HP MSS EX470.

SilkRod

Saturday, March 29, 2008 3:41 PM