Starting out on Windows Home Server 2011 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

Just recently I bought Windows Server 2011 software from Amazon because I couldn't resist the price drop! I've got some spare parts lying around so was wondering if I should use these for the server? The hardware is about 5 years old, its a Gigabyte motherboard AMD socket 939, the CPU is a dual core AMD 3.2 Ghz, 1GB NIC. I've got 4 GB of RAM and 3 x 1TB HD. I need to purchase a video card and a case. I will be using hardware RAID 5 using the built-in controller but with old hardware not sure if this is a good idea.

Do you think I should re-use my old hardware or should I go for the newer power efficient hardware such as Intel's Sandybridge chipset? After all I'll be running this 24x7. Do I need a powerful GPU if I want to stream HD video? Should I juest buy a pre-built home server?

Thanks

Tuesday, July 19, 2011 12:59 PM

Answers

• I use an Athlon IIX3 435 to play back my Bluray movies directly to my TV - they are however in a format (.m4v) which plays back directly without the need for transcoding.

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.
    • Marked as answer by PM76 Wednesday, July 20, 2011 1:16 PM
    Tuesday, July 19, 2011 5:50 PM

All replies

• It depends on what you want to do with the server. The hardware you describe will be adequate as a file server and backup machine. If you want to transcode video you will need a more powerful processor (Win 7 Experience 6.0 or better). If you have an old video card you could use that for installation but after that interraction is via the Dashboard or Remote Desktop so no video card required (unless of course something goes really wrong). No need to spend money on a decent card.

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.
    Tuesday, July 19, 2011 1:27 PM
  • Thanks Phil,

The server will function as a file server and for backups. But I have at least 1.5 TB worth of HD movies + music which I would like to stream to Win7 MCE or Xbox 360. So perhaps I should be upgrading to a newer CPU?

Tuesday, July 19, 2011 1:42 PM
  • I use an Athlon IIX3 435 to play back my Bluray movies directly to my TV - they are however in a format (.m4v) which plays back directly without the need for transcoding.

• Marked as answer by PM76 Wednesday, July 20, 2011 1:16 PM
    Tuesday, July 19, 2011 5:50 PM
  • Well then sounds like my old hardware will do the job, though I'm now quite enticed by building a new mini ITX server. My motherboard is an ATX so would need a midi/desktop case.
    Wednesday, July 20, 2011 1:16 PM
  • Would be very careful that WHS 2011 will run. Does not run on some older chipsets.
    Thursday, July 21, 2011 10:04 PM
  • Would be very careful that WHS 2011 will run. Does not run on some older chipsets.

Thansk Jerry, in the end I built a new server based on mini ITX form factor and Intel sandy bridge. Although I would have liked to have recycled my old hardware its not power efficient. The form factor is also full ATX midi tower and have trouble finding room for it.
    Friday, July 29, 2011 8:15 PM