My Password isn't being recognized RRS feed

• Question

• Dear Tech person,

Although I have worked on Windows laptops & desktop for over 20 years I am very new to networking and the use of servers.  I am using an Acer Easy Store  H341 running Windows Home Server with Power pack 3. So this is my problem - Last week I installed WHS and attached a laptop running Vista Professional & a desktop running windows 7.  Installation went off without a hitch.   However, I keep on getting error messages about how my password is wrong.  I've gone to the extent of reinstalling the WHS 4 times and doing a hard reboot for my computer as well as the server, each time entering my new password (which in reality is my old one that I entered in the 1st place) but it still does not recognize it.  I don't understand why it accepts it for the Console and not for when I want to see the files on the server, I have made all the passwords the same on all the computers/server as they suggested.  I can get into the WHS console with my password.  However, when I go into explorer (Start,right click & choose Explore) and I choose the server icon under network so as to be able to see the files that are on the server or another computer, I then get a box asking for Logon Name and password.  I proceed to do that but it says password and/or logon name are wrong.  I have checked them and I am certain they are NOT.  I don't have caps lock on and the other usual things I've been reading about.

The good news is that from the console I can see that for both of my computers the back ups to the server are being made automatically.

I welcome any suggestions for this frustrating problem.

Sincerely,
    Bill Bloom
    Tuesday, June 5, 2012 4:52 AM

All replies

• Did you create a user with identical username/password in the console like you are using for logging on locally on the client?

If so, there are often two reasons:

1. The Client user account has the display name changed and therefore the name is not longer identical to the true user name.

2. Date, time or time zone on the server are different in comparision to the client.

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf

Wednesday, June 6, 2012 2:43 PM