Can't connect to the network when trying to restore from WHS RRS feed

• Question

• I am having difficulty restoring a Lenovo laptop computer from WHS.  After the computer boots up from the restore disk, it comes to the point where it checks for drivers.  I have copied the drivers folder from the desired backup file on the WHS server to a USB flash drive and plugged it into the laptop when requested.  After the restorefunction loads drivers off the USB drive, the built-in ethernet port does not show up inthe "Network  Devices" window, even though the computer was able to connect using the hard-wired network connection.  Because of this, I cannot proceed withe the restore.

By the way, the computer will do the automatic search for the server.  It fails this step after 15 or 20 seconds.  I then enter my server name, which is not "SERVER".  At that time, I get a message that the computer cannot connect to the network.  I don't understand why I don'tget that message the first time it tries to find "SERVER".  I have also unplugged the router from the cable modem per other suggestions on this forum with no luck.

Any ideas why?  Thanks in advance for the help. and fail. 

Wednesday, March 3, 2010 10:59 PM

Answers

• I am having difficulty restoring a Lenovo laptop computer from WHS.  After the computer boots up from the restore disk, it comes to the point where it checks for drivers.  I have copied the drivers folder from the desired backup file on the WHS server to a USB flash drive and plugged it into the laptop when requested.  After the restorefunction loads drivers off the USB drive, the built-in ethernet port does not show up inthe "Network  Devices" window, even though the computer was able to connect using the hard-wired network connection.  Because of this, I cannot proceed withe the restore.

By the way, the computer will do the automatic search for the server.  It fails this step after 15 or 20 seconds.  I then enter my server name, which is not "SERVER".  At that time, I get a message that the computer cannot connect to the network.  I don't understand why I don'tget that message the first time it tries to find "SERVER".  I have also unplugged the router from the cable modem per other suggestions on this forum with no luck.

If your OS is 64-bit, you need to use a 32-bit NIC driver.  See the FAQ post:  How to restore a client PC, if the network connection does not work in the CD based restore environment for details.  Also, if your NIC is made by RealTek, you should check the FAQ post:  How to update Realtek NIC drivers during Bare Metal Restore.
    • Marked as answer by BobMarso Sunday, March 7, 2010 6:49 AM
    Thursday, March 4, 2010 12:06 AM
  • Kariya21,

Thank you!  Your reference to the FAQ post , "How to restore a client PC ..." was the answer I needed and saved me considerable time.

Thanks again,

BobMarso
    • Marked as answer by BobMarso Sunday, March 21, 2010 6:09 PM
    Sunday, March 7, 2010 6:52 AM

All replies

If your OS is 64-bit, you need to use a 32-bit NIC driver.  See the FAQ post:  How to restore a client PC, if the network connection does not work in the CD based restore environment for details.  Also, if your NIC is made by RealTek, you should check the FAQ post:  How to update Realtek NIC drivers during Bare Metal Restore.
    • Marked as answer by BobMarso Sunday, March 7, 2010 6:49 AM
    Thursday, March 4, 2010 12:06 AM
  • Kariya21,

Thank you!  Your reference to the FAQ post , "How to restore a client PC ..." was the answer I needed and saved me considerable time.

Thanks again,

BobMarso
    • Marked as answer by BobMarso Sunday, March 21, 2010 6:09 PM
    Sunday, March 7, 2010 6:52 AM
  • Kariya21,

Thanks again,

BobMarso
    You're welcome!  Also, if you would like to see an "out-of-the-box" solution (instead of having to track down a 32-bit driver for your NIC), please vote for Ken Warren's product suggestion on Connect.
    Sunday, March 7, 2010 3:57 PM
  • I clicked on the "Connect" link in your last reply and message say8ing it was not a valid link.  I'm intetested in checking out Ken's suggestion.  Where do I find it?
    Monday, March 8, 2010 5:54 PM
  • I clicked on the "Connect" link in your last reply and message say8ing it was not a valid link.  I'm intetested in checking out Ken's suggestion.  Where do I find it?
    You probably need to register on Connect first (the link is definitely valid, I just checked to make sure  :)  ).
    Monday, March 8, 2010 9:00 PM
  • I registered for Connect and the link still does not work. I then entered "restore cd should support 64 bit drivers" in the search field and was returned a USB search result, but no mention of WHS or the restore cd.

I'll be glad to vote for it, but I'm not able to locate the location.  Don't feel obligated to respond, but if you'd like a vote for it, I'll be glad to do it.

Sunday, March 21, 2010 6:39 PM