none
Must take 70-432 in 2 months. Here's my plan RRS feed

• Question

• I must take the 70-432 exam in 2 months, and am just starting to really study for it. I am coming up with a plan so that I can succeed at this. Could you experienced exam takers please let me know how my plan is?

First, my experience with SQL Server...

• About 3.5 years of experience developing applications that use SQL Server
    • I am my company's DBA (3.5 years as well)
    • 2.5 of those years were spent as a part-time intern (student)
    • A few years ago we were preparing to take the 70-431 so i read the entire training kit book and did all the quizzes. I never took the exam though. But this gave me a pretty good idea of what areas I will need to know for this exam.

Now with my plan...

1. I purchased a subscription to MeasureUp.

2. Do 20 study questions per day, and then thoroughly review every question I miss. I'll do this by going to the links provided by MeasureUp, and also refer to my 2005 training kit if necessary.

3. Later that same day take a test that has only the questions I missed. This will test if i actually learned instead of memorization.

4. When I start consistently passing study mode exams I will then focus on only taking certification simulation tests.

Do you think this plan will be good enough for someone with my amount of real world experience? Also, MeasureUp's practice exams seem to have VERY specific questions about things i've never encountered. Is the real exam this broad and deep at the same time too?

Thanks,

Mac

Maclain Wiltzer
    Software Developer
    • Edited by Makolyte Monday, January 17, 2011 10:29 PM typos
    Monday, January 17, 2011 10:26 PM

Answers

• At least it sounds like a plan. :)

I liked to use the MeasureUp Tests, too. What I did with all questions was: I expected from me that I was able to tell why the wrong solutions were wrong. (That way I had much more to read and know.) When I missed a chapter completly (At least I found parts, that I really never had to use in the past), then I even read deeply about that topic. (But I never did the 432 - I did 433 + .Net exams so far)

Good luck with your preparation and your exam.

With kind regards,

Konrad

Tuesday, January 18, 2011 7:25 AM
    Answerer
  • Hi Mac,

It is good to have a plan, but I think you can help yourself more.

I would by the Microsoft 70-432 Study guide this includes Measureup Questiones.

I would read a chapter a night or better and so learn the syllabus.

Then use the the Measureup questions to test your knowledge and the links for questions you got wrong to fill in the gaps.

If you know your subject well I would aim to take the exam in one or two weeks, a little pressure always help :-).

Buy the extra Measureip questions if you feel you need them.

Kind Regards,

Geoff

MCITP SQL * 4, MCPD * 7

Tuesday, January 18, 2011 8:52 AM

All replies

• At least it sounds like a plan. :)

I liked to use the MeasureUp Tests, too. What I did with all questions was: I expected from me that I was able to tell why the wrong solutions were wrong. (That way I had much more to read and know.) When I missed a chapter completly (At least I found parts, that I really never had to use in the past), then I even read deeply about that topic. (But I never did the 432 - I did 433 + .Net exams so far)

Good luck with your preparation and your exam.

With kind regards,

Konrad

Tuesday, January 18, 2011 7:25 AM
    Answerer
  • Hi Mac,

It is good to have a plan, but I think you can help yourself more.

I would by the Microsoft 70-432 Study guide this includes Measureup Questiones.

I would read a chapter a night or better and so learn the syllabus.

Then use the the Measureup questions to test your knowledge and the links for questions you got wrong to fill in the gaps.

If you know your subject well I would aim to take the exam in one or two weeks, a little pressure always help :-).

Buy the extra Measureip questions if you feel you need them.

Kind Regards,

Geoff

MCITP SQL * 4, MCPD * 7

Tuesday, January 18, 2011 8:52 AM
  • Thank you both for the encouragement and ideas!
    Maclain Wiltzer
    Software Developer
    Wednesday, January 19, 2011 8:50 PM
  • Would you be interested in a 5 day online course at low cost for this exam prep?
    Derek Gulizia
    Thursday, January 20, 2011 7:39 PM