Synchronizing remote machines with WCF using Azure Blob Storage RRS feed

• Question

• Hi there,

I'm developing a WCF Azure service, which need to synchronize files and store them in the BLOB storage. I've been looking at some of the different samples, but I'm not quite sure how to achieve this.

I've used the AzureBlobStore and AzureBlobSyncProvider to store the blobs in the cloud, and is currently trying to implement a RemoteFileSyncProvider to store the files on the remote machine. Is this the best way of doing it, or can I achieve something like this using the Sync Toolkit much easier?

Regards Soren

Friday, January 13, 2012 7:56 AM

All replies

• And by the way, I want to be able to synchronize with a lot of different devices.
    Friday, January 13, 2012 8:23 AM
  • unfortunately, the Sync Toolkit is more for database synchronization. you will not find anything there related to file synching.

is this the sample you followed? http://code.msdn.microsoft.com/Synchronizing-Files-to-a14ecf57

Friday, January 13, 2012 9:57 AM
  • Yes, that's the sample. I've created a WCF service, that has a void Sync(ISyncPolicy policy) method, which should synchronize the remote machine with the Azure Blob Storage. So for this to work, I've created a RemoteFileSyncProvider which should handle the synchronization with the remote machine. The InsertItem, UpdateItem and DeleteItem need to be updated, am I correct? I want the WCF service to handle the synchronization based on the policy argument.

• Edited by sorniels Friday, January 13, 2012 10:29 AM
    Friday, January 13, 2012 10:26 AM
  • I've also been looking at this sample from Bryant Likes http://bryantlikes.com/RemoteFileSyncUsingWCFAndMSF.aspx. It looks like I need to create some kind of merger between the two of those.
    Friday, January 13, 2012 12:21 PM
  • good luck on that :)

the sample from Bryant is the closest sample you can get to using WCF. Synching files via WCF or via HTTP is a commonly asked question but i have yet to see one post having succeeded.

Saturday, January 14, 2012 1:35 AM