Always Show Answers First option ignored RRS feed

• Question

• After yesterday's update, my "Always Show Answers First On Thread Page" option is ignored.  I have it off but it still shows the answers at the top.  *Very* undesirable, the continuity of the thread is completely lost in non-threaded view.

Hans Passant.
    Friday, June 26, 2009 1:15 PM

Answers

• Hi All,

We will have a release today that will address the following issues (in addition to other bug fixes). 

1) Always Show Answers First option is ignored (When unselected in the "My Settings" page)
    - We have fixed this bug such that when it's unselected all answered posts will show up under the "All Replies" section. This is true for both Flat and Threaded View

2) Answered threads are not showing Answered posts within "All Replies" section. (When “Always Show Answers First On Thread Page” is unselected in the "My Settings" page).
    - This is fixed as part of the above.

Note: The team is discussing on a more suitable fix for the flat view in a thread page.

Thanks.
    STO Forums Test Lead
    • Marked as answer by nobugz Thursday, July 9, 2009 4:18 PM
    Thursday, July 9, 2009 3:48 PM

All replies

• Grrr I dislike that too!
    William Wegerson (www.OmegaCoder.Com)
    Friday, June 26, 2009 1:27 PM
  • Sorry.  Saw the title, didn't think "Answers not showing" was a match.
    Hans Passant.
    Friday, June 26, 2009 3:16 PM
  • I agree with Bill and Hans.  I was kind of annoyed that the answers didn't show up in the context of the thread.  I'm not sure the direction of ordering the posts the way they're being ordered is the best direction for this specific community.  We don't all answer the OP as is the case on StackOverflow, where a discussion is nearly impossible because of all the reshuffling of threads.  Of course, some people might like it, which brings into the picture the idea of having a setting to allow the user to choose.  Put the people in charge, and everyone will get exactly what they want how they want it, and you can't go wrong with that.  :) 
    David Morton - http://blog.davemorton.net/ - @davidmmorton - ForumsBrowser, a WPF MSDN Forums Client
    Friday, June 26, 2009 3:16 PM
  • Of course, some people might like it, which brings into the picture the idea of having a setting to allow the user to choose. 
    Frankly the idea is that the answer is the be all end all.

If one was to organize a FAQ for items it makes real good sense. But this automated way of pushing answers to the forefront isn't allways the best when OP can mark their "Thank you" response as the answer.

Without forethought behind it, the automated approach's value is up to debate.
    Friday, June 26, 2009 3:49 PM
  • Of course, some people might like it, which brings into the picture the idea of having a setting to allow the user to choose. 
    Frankly the idea is that the answer is the be all end all.

If one was to organize a FAQ for items it makes real good sense. But this automated way of pushing answers to the forefront isn't allways the best when OP can mark their "Thank you" response as the answer.

Without forethought behind it, the automated approach's value is up to debate.

This is true.  One of my pet peeves is the OP marking a "Thank you" post as the answer.  Seems to me that if they provide the answer at the end of their post, they could propose it as answer, and let the moderators sort out the real thing.  I've never liked people being able to mark their own answers, and I've even seen some people who have this ability mark an answer, then lock the post.  (Although noone in this particular conversation, and that tends to be a rarity).
    David Morton - http://blog.davemorton.net/ - @davidmmorton - ForumsBrowser, a WPF MSDN Forums Client
    Friday, June 26, 2009 3:57 PM
  • Regarding this issue: "Always Show Answers First option ignored". This is indeed a bug and I've communicated it to our team.

Regarding: "Answers no longer appears in Flat View" - This is now by design. Please see this thread for further details.

Thanks.
    STO Forums Test Lead
    Friday, June 26, 2009 4:04 PM
  • I just spent 5 minutes looking for my post in a long thread.  There's another serious problem: the posts are sorted by their helpful vote count.  I suppose somebody considered this a feature.  Losing the thread continuity is however a grave setback.  We'll all have to resort back to quoting to make a conversation possible.  Back to NNTP and their chronic flame wars.

Hans Passant.
    Friday, June 26, 2009 4:59 PM
  •  > There's another serious problem: the posts are sorted by their helpful vote count.

Some bright spark without a clue of how people actually read threads must have thought that one up.

I wish they'd try some of their ideas on us here before they implement them.

This is complete madness. As you write if the thread order is re-ordered all the time, bang goes the logic in the posts in the thread. At least now if you are posting a reply to the last post in the thread you know that your reply will come next in both forms of the thread and so you don't need to quote anything. But with this "improvement" in the design the order of the posts in the thread could vary on a daily if not hourly basis.

Microsoft: Please, please remove this "feature"

(Now I suggest we all mark Hans' post as Helpful and see it zoom up the list :)) (Which I just did and after a reload of the page there's Hans post right at the top seemingly replying to himself ...)

Slightly later as my own post was marked and zoomed up: There's something rather Monty Pythonish about this. Mark as helpful and scr*w up the thread - fun for all the family!)

WSS FAQ sites: http://wssv2faq.mindsharp.com and http://wssv3faq.mindsharp.com
    Total list of WSS 3.0 / MOSS 2007 Books (including foreign language) http://wssv3faq.mindsharp.com/Lists/v3%20WSS%20FAQ/V%20Books.aspx
    Friday, June 26, 2009 5:51 PM
  • We'll all have to resort back to quoting to make a conversation possible.
    which might work except nobody knows who you are quoting unless you add it yourself.
    Friday, June 26, 2009 9:50 PM
  • We'll all have to resort back to quoting to make a conversation possible.
    which might work except nobody knows who you are quoting unless you add it yourself.

I loved the *old* version of the editor in the forums they had last year which would accept multiple quotes from different users in the thread and  dynamically append each of them to your post as one worked. All by just clicking on the quote button from each target sub post.

God that was nice. Now only one quote to launch the editor...ack!

What happened to that old feature? Is it in some non-descript box next to the Arc of the Covenent in a warehouse in DC?
    Friday, June 26, 2009 10:13 PM
  • Yes, please remove this "feature".  It's very confusing.
    Friday, June 26, 2009 10:20 PM
  • ...and what happened to the Bookmarks?

...and did you notice that the option to even mark a thread as "Helpful" has vanished, too?

Mark the best replies as answers. "Fooling computers since 1971."
    Sunday, June 28, 2009 3:43 PM

• Mark the best replies as answers.

I am currently voting on posts I dislike to deliberately obscure them.

??
    Sunday, June 28, 2009 10:41 PM
  • Thanks for everyone's input and comments on the recent changes to promote helpful posts and answers in the flat thread view. I appreciate everyone's candor on the change. I wanted to quickly explain why we did this, not that it makes some of the arguments in this thread less relevant, but I want to explain some of the rationale behind it.
    The main goal was to promote and give more visibility to the default flat view for users coming to threads for the first time, quickly wanting to scan for the answers and helpful votes. This change was not tailored for users that frequent and want the discussion based view of the thread, the threaded view and the thread preview mode in the forum view remain unchanged for those users.
    Now, I certainly understand the disadvantages to this change (this thread covers it all pretty well). I’ll be reviewing all the feedback this week and will be getting back to this thread with more information this week around this topic.

Community Forums Program Manager
    Monday, June 29, 2009 1:40 AM
    Answerer
  • If anyone wants an example on how marking posts as helpful really messes up a thread and makes posts almost incomprehensible, look at this one.

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/sharepointgeneral/thread/d345c0f0-a1b6-4d17-bc35-597c36d48dda

There are three replies there from ParForChords all of which had been marked as Helpful and two of which had been Proposed as Answer (now upgraded to answer).

All three of these replies (as you can see in "preview" mode) came very late in the thread and even though the first one (i.e. the one that is now highest in the list is a reply to the Original Poster it is NOT the reply to the Original Poster's first post that it seems to be when looking at the thread in its own web page.

In addition a further post from ParForChords replies to a "Nick". In order to find Nick's post that is being replied to you need to go almost to the bottom of the thread. (I in fact needed to do this three times as because Nick's post was short so I missed it the first and second times).

Total list of WSS 3.0 / MOSS 2007 Books (including foreign language) http://wssv3faq.mindsharp.com/Lists/v3%20WSS%20FAQ/V%20Books.aspx
    Monday, June 29, 2009 9:34 AM
  • More feedback on how horrible this new "feature" is. Half the time the answer is needed in context to make any sense, so this is hurting everyone, even those who get to the thread from a search. The duplicate answers was the simple and effective way to make it easy for those users. Just noticed the helpful thing, does the same option turn this off too? And why does the page shift to the right when I reply? Unless the posts were off my page in the first place (which they should never be) this is unnecessary and annoying.
    Monday, June 29, 2009 1:41 PM
  • >Just noticed the helpful thing, does the same option turn this off too? And why does the page shift to the right when I reply?

There is at least one thread on your second point (it's an IE7 and IE8 in IE7 mode problem which they will fix)

One option turns off having answers at the top (is that what you mean by the "same option"?). It isn't working following the latest "fix" in any case.

Monday, June 29, 2009 2:47 PM
  • I meant how helpful posts are put to the top, wondering if the option disabled that too. And ya I've just switched to threaded view for now.
    Monday, June 29, 2009 2:53 PM
  • No it's almost sure that it won't. In any case it wouldn't help because when writing a reply you would need to quote what you were replying to in order for those with this option set on (or off?) to know which post you were replying to. This is one thing that a user can't have an on/off switch for.

(Now all it needs is someone to mark this as Helpful and we won't have a clue what I was replying to  :) )

Monday, June 29, 2009 3:38 PM
  • I no longer see the option to mark stuff as helpful.  Not even on threads designated as questions.
    Monday, June 29, 2009 3:58 PM
  • There's a green upward triangle on the top left.

Hover your cursor above it.

Monday, June 29, 2009 4:06 PM
  • Brent,

>This change was not tailored for users that frequent and want the discussion based view of the thread, the threaded view and the thread preview mode in the >forum view remain unchanged for those users.

There seems to be a misapprehension here that non-casual users always use either threaded view or preview mode. (or am I reading something into "frequent" in that text that isn't there?)

Well I don't for a few reasons.

A. Preview Mode:

1. Preview mode is great *when it works* however sometimes it gets into a mood and refuses to open a thread no longer how you wait.  Opening the thread itself in full-page mode always takes a reasonable time.

2. You can only read or reply to posts when in preview mode. You can not MOVE (Edit; Merge; change the question type) posts, all I which I do often. So I have to in any case open then to do this (and for instance if I remove a "this is urgent" text, I can't see that that text is there until doing preview which means in such cases I would do preview and then also open full page to be able to Edit.).

B. Threaded Mode:

Takes too much effort to read the number of threads I read so I'm set to non-threaded where I can get a faster picture of the thread. (Provided the Helpful "feature" is removed!).

Monday, June 29, 2009 4:17 PM
  • There's a green upward triangle on the top left.

Hover your cursor above it.

Well.  That's intuitive.  Not.
    Monday, June 29, 2009 5:03 PM
  • I've been using the threaded view to fix this, and I have to say it doesn't seem tailored to frequent board users for two reasons:

1. If I keep coming back to a thread to see the new replies, I have to check multiple places to see the new post, they're not always at the bottom.
    2. There seems to be a maximum of 5 indentations, making it very hard to find new posts unless they are right at the bottom.

Tuesday, June 30, 2009 6:11 PM
  • Strange thing: I've pressed on a green triangle of the preceeding post, and there appears "-1"
    instead of just 1. The new bug? Or just a new buggy feature some people were asking for?
    Tuesday, June 30, 2009 7:21 PM
  • Oh man... I brought him back to zero. I was hoping to drop him by -1 again!
    Tuesday, June 30, 2009 7:27 PM
  • Awesome.  That's one way to get your post to the bottom :)  Now, how did you do that?

Hans Passant.
    Tuesday, June 30, 2009 7:27 PM
  • Just clicked (or may be double-clicked) on triangle
    immediately after I did the same on triangle on another post.
    So it seems the second click was made during the time when
    the page was yet reloaded.
    Wednesday, July 1, 2009 1:39 PM
  • Thanks for everyone's input and comments on the recent changes to promote helpful posts and answers in the flat thread view. I appreciate everyone's candor on the change. I wanted to quickly explain why we did this, not that it makes some of the arguments in this thread less relevant, but I want to explain some of the rationale behind it.
    The main goal was to promote and give more visibility to the default flat view for users coming to threads for the first time, quickly wanting to scan for the answers and helpful votes. This change was not tailored for users that frequent and want the discussion based view of the thread, the threaded view and the thread preview mode in the forum view remain unchanged for those users.
    Now, I certainly understand the disadvantages to this change (this thread covers it all pretty well). I’ll be reviewing all the feedback this week and will be getting back to this thread with more information this week around this topic.

Brent,

I'd like to add my vote to remove this "feature".  More often than not, the "answered" post only make sense in context.  I find myself scanning for answers many times and I can assure you that an answer that is out of context helps no one.
    Wednesday, July 1, 2009 3:26 PM
  • Brent said on Monday 29th June:

>Now, I certainly understand the disadvantages to this change (this thread covers it all pretty well). I’ll be reviewing all the feedback this week and will be getting >back to this thread with more information this week around this topic.

(note the need to write both who said this; when and what ....)

Even being generous, "this week" is now over. What should we assume from this lack of follow-up this week? Hopefully not that this modification lives on regardless of the serious criticism of it.

Sunday, July 5, 2009 11:17 AM
  • ...thanks for the reminder. We are currently looking into this and I will get back when I can explain what to expect and when. The process for determing what we do and when is underway.
    Monday, July 6, 2009 4:31 AM
    Answerer
  • ...thanks for the reminder. We are currently looking into this and I will get back when I can explain what to expect and when. The process for determing what we do and when is underway.

Please disable these feature by default, they're very confusing and inconvenient to review threads. Some options to enable them are enough.

Thanks.

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Tuesday, July 7, 2009 2:46 AM
  • Brent,

As a compromise, maybe you could make the title bar a different color for the most voted post, kind of like you do for the ones marked "answered".  Or mayby you could put some kind of bar across the top graphically showing the number of votes.  But, please please please keep the continuity of the threads intact.

I really find that using the little scroll bar on the right of my browser to be not much of a burden.
    Tuesday, July 7, 2009 12:50 PM
  • How about a different compromise: restore original behavior, take all the time you need to come up with a better way.  For ideas, take a look at  Stackoverflow.com.  Note the "Newest", "Oldest" and "Votes" tabs in a thread.  Answer searchers want "Votes", contributors want "Oldest".  Perhaps "Newest" for old threads.  You can preselect if you don't have a cookie by whether the user is signed-in or not.

Hans Passant.
    Tuesday, July 7, 2009 1:14 PM
  • I tell having taken up the same thing as an issue even in Japan community.

It is the view which seemed foolish actually. When people solve an issue, a cause and an effect are followed in order. This "specification" is destroying the process which people think of. Can it be said that it is that it is truly helpful?

To be sure, it is important that it can arrive at a answer. But it is more important to understand the way of thinking which results in an answer rather than obtaining an answer.

sorry, this is machine transration.

Jitta@わんくま同盟
    Thursday, July 9, 2009 12:36 PM
  • If the concern is for new user, but frequent users don't want it, why not use what frequent users have, namely, options.

That is, have (and honor!) options to put the answer first and to move voted on threads.

Or, auto-focus on answers (and have an option to turn this off).

• Edited by Brian Tkatch Thursday, July 9, 2009 2:01 PM typo
    Thursday, July 9, 2009 1:06 PM
  • I hope this is fixed soon because no matter what options are set right now long threads are impossible to read. I'm using the threaded view right now and it is definately not tailored to frequent users. The indents cap at 5 or 6, so any thread over 10 replies starts merging reply chains together at the max indent. In threads with 40+ replies, it's usually 6-8 with varying indents, 25 max indents where new replies can appear anywhere in, and then 5 or so really old replies with less indentation.
    Thursday, July 9, 2009 2:25 PM
  • So those are the numbers! :)

I asked a similar question a little while ago, here .
    Thursday, July 9, 2009 2:39 PM
  • Hi All,

We will have a release today that will address the following issues (in addition to other bug fixes). 

1) Always Show Answers First option is ignored (When unselected in the "My Settings" page)
    - We have fixed this bug such that when it's unselected all answered posts will show up under the "All Replies" section. This is true for both Flat and Threaded View

2) Answered threads are not showing Answered posts within "All Replies" section. (When “Always Show Answers First On Thread Page” is unselected in the "My Settings" page).

Note: The team is discussing on a more suitable fix for the flat view in a thread page.

Thanks.
    STO Forums Test Lead
    • Marked as answer by nobugz Thursday, July 9, 2009 4:18 PM
    Thursday, July 9, 2009 3:48 PM
  • Hi All,

Thanks.
    STO Forums Test Lead

Awesome.  Thanks for hearing the outcry.  :)
    Thursday, July 9, 2009 3:50 PM
  • I say toss the "Dreaded View".

Thursday, July 9, 2009 4:00 PM
  • I tell having taken up the same thing as an issue even in Japan community.

It is the view which seemed foolish actually. When people solve an issue, a cause and an effect are followed in order. This "specification" is destroying the process which people think of. Can it be said that it is that it is truly helpful?

To be sure, it is important that it can arrive at a answer. But it is more important to understand the way of thinking which results in an answer rather than obtaining an answer.

sorry, this is machine transration.

Jitta@わんくま同盟

Jitta,

Machine translation or not, you have effectively summed up and communicated the spirit of the problem.  I completely agree with you and hope this is corrected soon.

Thanks,
    Dogulas
    Friday, July 10, 2009 1:58 PM
  • Nice job, somebody. 

Today I noticed that replies marked as "Answer" are no longer floating up to the top. 
    But, replies marked as "Proposed Answer" or "Helpful" are floating up to the top.
    Friday, July 10, 2009 5:51 PM
  • Helpful ordering should be corrected in the next couple of weeks, we don't have a firm date for deployment yet. I can't quickly repro the "proposed answer" ordering issue you describe, can you point me to an example?
    Friday, July 10, 2009 6:26 PM
    Answerer
  • I proposed yours as answer to check it out but it's not happening for me. All fine and dandy over here.

Just noticed the helpful ordering still in effect though, so flat view is still unusable.
    Friday, July 10, 2009 6:33 PM
  • Helpful ordering should be corrected in the next couple of weeks, we don't have a firm date for deployment yet. I can't quickly repro the "proposed answer" ordering issue you describe, can you point me to an example?

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/csharpgeneral/thread/1686f6b8-2ee0-4c51-8508-e3cfd5293cc4

I checked CetinBasoz's thread as I was making the above reply, just to make sure.
    That reply had been on the VERY bottom, if that makes a difference.

Rudy
    Friday, July 10, 2009 7:13 PM
  • Shouldn't that be Unhelpful ordering.  It doesn't help me!!
    Friday, July 10, 2009 7:14 PM
  • http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/csharpgeneral/thread/c7b199cd-bbc6-4cf2-bae7-5e8570e6337c#b61e6ed9-4f51-4dc1-a48c-7572c28c7935

Another thread with examples of both.
    Friday, July 10, 2009 7:27 PM
  • > Shouldn't that be Unhelpful ordering.  It doesn't help me!!

Just read the entire sentence

"Just noticed the helpful ordering still in effect though, so flat view is still unusable."

It's clear from the bit at the end about "still unusable" that the reference to "helpful ordering" was ScottyDoesKnow being sarcastic !

Saturday, July 11, 2009 7:20 AM
  • Hi,

What about "Vote as helpful"? Please also disable it by default.

Thanks.
    Saturday, July 11, 2009 8:15 AM
  • Reply to Rudedog2:

>But, replies marked as "Proposed Answer" or "Helpful" are floating up to the top.

Your post was proposed as an Answer and did NOT float to the top here.

It's also not something I've seen elsewhere.

So in my experience Helpful still move up but Proposed don't.

Saturday, July 11, 2009 10:26 AM
  • Right.  Which is pretty whacky too.  Maybe the MSFT programmer thought "well, proposed answers aren't usually helpful".  Which tends to be accurate.

Hans Passant.
    Saturday, July 11, 2009 10:56 AM
  • Reply to Rudedog2:

>But, replies marked as "Proposed Answer" or "Helpful" are floating up to the top.

Your post was proposed as an Answer and did NOT float to the top here.

It's also not something I've seen elsewhere.

So in my experience Helpful still move up but Proposed don't.

Just to back up Rudy, I saw this too yesterday.  BigTuna99 and I had replied to a thread, and both his and my post were proposed as answer, but his had a one-up helpful vote. His ended up just above mine, which was still above the second post in the thread.

If you look at that thread, something is still out of whack. 

The first post is first (OP)
    The second post is fourth, and marked as an answer.
    The third post is fifth.
    The fourth post is sixth.
    The fifth post is second, marked as an answer, and voted helpful.
    The sixth post is seventh.
    The eigth post is third, voted helpful.

This is very confusing indeed.

Hate to make a shameless plug here, but it seems rather useful in this situation.  I haven't been bugged by it quite as much.  The Forums Browser app sorts things chronologically, but nevertheless, the seemingly random sorting doesn't make much sense. 

Saturday, July 11, 2009 12:04 PM
  • Not only one plug, but two ....

Of course we could mark the copy as Helpful and move it up the list.

Well shoot.  Try to edit a post, and everything disappeared.  Had to copy and paste.  Grrr...

EDIT:  Whoah. Yeah... deleted one of them.
    Saturday, July 11, 2009 12:30 PM
  • Not only one plug, but two ....

Of course we could mark the copy as Helpful and move it up the list.

Well shoot.  Try to edit a post, and everything disappeared.  Had to copy and paste.  Grrr...

EDIT:  Whoah. Yeah... deleted one of them.

That only happens sometimes, and that has been occuring for a while now.
    Going back to prior to your release of the Forums Browser.

Just "Cancel" out of it.  Press F5 or Refresh the screeen, and try again. 
    It usually or eventually act properly.
    What is disturbing though is to click "Edit" and you see a screen full of HTML, and not the "Edit Box".
    Saturday, July 11, 2009 12:36 PM
  • Well shoot.  Try to edit a post, and everything disappeared.
    This was supposed to be fixed in the last update.  It wasn't?

Hans Passant.
    Saturday, July 11, 2009 1:24 PM
  • The fix is now live. (Ordering of posts by dates/time descending).
    STO Forums Test Lead
    Friday, July 17, 2009 8:54 PM
  • Whooptidoo, it works.
    Hans Passant.
    Friday, July 17, 2009 11:08 PM