Windows 7 RTM 64 Bit access to WHS User Shares RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All, I have WHS PP2 running at home.  I have a company LapTop where I sometimes work at home and want to access my home data rather than starting my desktop.  As it is a work PC I cannot go playing with usernames!  Under Vista 32 everything worked fine, first time I tried to access a WHS share it prompted for username and password which when I entered it then remembered, everytime I went back no problem.  Now we have upgraded to Windows 7 x64 and it just says "you don't have access" to the share.  The connector and console work fine...  I tried adding my WHS username/password to the credetials no luck...  Any ideas?  Thanks.  Peter
    Sunday, November 15, 2009 3:50 PM

All replies

• Try looking in the network and sharing center in Win 7. See if passworded sharing is enabled. Seems to me that was the problem I ran into on Win 7 after I upgraded. (Make sure file sharing is turned on, then check for the passworded sharing.

Cruise
    Monday, November 16, 2009 1:21 AM
  • Hi Cruise, thanks for the advice, I am travelling this week so can't test till Friday.  File Sharing was turned on but for 128 bit, so I selected 40 & 56 bit encryption support too, is this where you meant by "check for the passworded sharing"?  Thanks again, Peter
    Tuesday, November 17, 2009 1:01 AM
  • Hi Cruise, thanks for the advice, I am travelling this week so can't test till Friday.  File Sharing was turned on but for 128 bit, so I selected 40 & 56 bit encryption support too, is this where you meant by "check for the passworded sharing "?  Thanks again, Peter
    If you scroll down a little bit, it's the next item down on the page. I'd go back to the 128 bit setting too, for future security. Set it to "Turn off password protected sharing"

Cruise
    Tuesday, November 17, 2009 1:56 AM
  • Hi Cruise, my guess is we are in different places in Win 7 or my admin/group policy has hidden this option.  I get choices for Network Discovery, File and Printer Sharing, Public Folder Sharing, Media Streaming, File Sharing connections and Homegroup Connections...  but not Password Sharing!  In the end I fixed the problem by adding my work username and password as a user on home server which works, but just pain to maintain as my work passord policy means changing quite often...  Thanks for your help, regards, Peter
    Saturday, November 28, 2009 12:14 AM
  • Exactly what version of windows 7 is installed on that company-supplied laptop?
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Saturday, November 28, 2009 1:23 AM
  • Windows 7 Enterprise RTM - Peter
    Sunday, November 29, 2009 10:54 AM
  • Windows 7 enterprise certainly has the ability to save passwords if it's not blocked somehow. I suppose it's possible that your employer's IT group has machine policies in place in Active Directory which prevent saving passwords. You could ask them...

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Sunday, November 29, 2009 2:42 PM