My site dropped 479 spots in one day. Help please! RRS feed

• Question

• As of Friday, 9/26/08 when we last looked, our site (www.csatravelprotection.com) was coming up second for the search term, "Travel Insurance".  As of today, we are now ranked 481!  That is a drop of 479 positions in a matter of a few days. 

We have done nothing to our site in the last week or so that would cause this to happen and our rankings on Yahoo and Google have either stayed the same or have even improved during this same time period.  I would really appreciate it if anyone has any ideas as to why this has happened.
    Monday, September 29, 2008 8:52 PM

Answers

•  I will second Duane's thought that maybe it is the pop-up...

You aren't blocked which is a positive...

Wednesday, October 1, 2008 7:58 PM

All replies

• I just did a Live search on "travel insurance" and you turned up # 265.

How long have you had the survey pop-up running?  I'm wondering if it does something that messes up the MSN bot.

Search engines change their site rating algorithms fairly frequently.  It could be that you are being affected by a (temporary or permanent) adjustment to the Live search algorithm.

Live Search lists over 6,000 pages that are indexed.  A whopping number of these differ only minimally - the producer agent code and the testimonial quote (of which there appear to by 8).  Maybe a revised algorithm for ranking looks on these differently and they end up hurting you...?

... Duane

Tuesday, September 30, 2008 2:02 AM
  •  I will second Duane's thought that maybe it is the pop-up...

You aren't blocked which is a positive...

Wednesday, October 1, 2008 7:58 PM