Version & PP1 on Windows Home Server Console RRS feed

• Question

•  

I used the key "HKCU/Control Panel/Desktop" and changed "PaintDesktopVersion from zero to one. Then I logged off and restarted the system.

I now have:

"Windows Home Server

Build 3790 (Service Pack 2)"

on my desktop in the lower right corner of my screen.

However, it would be better if this was indicated on the "Windows Home Server Console". Also, it would be nice for the PP1 to be indicated also?

Is there anyway to do this?

Larry

Tuesday, July 22, 2008 5:45 PM

Answers

All replies

• The best place to make this suggestion is Connect. Microsoft uses it to locate and prioritize product issues and suggestions submitted by users.
    Tuesday, July 22, 2008 7:13 PM
  • Thanks - good point.

Larry

Tuesday, July 22, 2008 7:38 PM
  • Note that "Build 3790" is for Windows Server 2003, the OS underlying Windows Home Server. That's not going to appear in the consle because it's not important. But seeing a visual indication that Power Pack 1 is installed would be nice.
    Tuesday, July 22, 2008 9:21 PM
  • My Computer > Properties shows WHS SP2 as well and when it boots it still shows Server 2003. Off to Connect I go.
    Wednesday, July 23, 2008 3:41 AM
  • Jerry, don't bother. Since you're not supposed to have a monitor connected, and since in normal operation you're not supposed to access the server through anything other than the console, it will likely be closed as "by Design".
    Wednesday, July 23, 2008 11:50 AM
  • That may be but I'll feel better if I report it. Here
    Wednesday, July 23, 2008 2:29 PM
  • I guess I'm missing the point of this post.  After installing PP1, log into your WHS Console, then go to the Settings tab, then to Resources.  Mine shows up in the Version Information window as 6.01800.0 as well as actually saying 'Windows Home Server with Power Pack 1".  So, how is this not enough to satisfy your request?  What more do you want?
    Friday, July 25, 2008 6:54 PM
  • He wanted the feature on the Desktop, so that you didn't have to go through the entire Console.  Smile

As most people shouldn't be going through the WHS machine's desktop, it isn't a serious issue. But for those who keep it up as a local machine, it is handy to have. It's unsupported and I doubt the WHS team will spend time to do it, but hey... it is a Suggestions forum
    Saturday, July 26, 2008 10:58 PM