none
HELP! accidentally clean installed Vista Basic and have COA Key for Vista Premium RRS feed

• Question

• I have a Compaq Presario at the office here and was trying to do a clean install of the OS which came with Windows Vista Home Premium. I know you can use any install disk as long as you have the product key on the PC case. The problem was that the disc I used from a friend was not only a Dell cd but the real problem is that it is Windows Vista Home Basic. So now obviously I have a Home Premium product key but I have Home Basic installed and it says "Build 6002" This copy of Windows is not genuine. How do I get Home Premium reinstalled without the disc if I am not withing the HP warranty. Their customer service seems hard to deal with especially since I am not the original owner of the PC. Any help is much appreciated!

Wednesday, January 19, 2011 4:36 PM

Answers

• "trbradley" wrote in message news:a3ed2faf-fe6b-429b-bdac-6c6d66620097...

I have a Compaq Presario at the office here and was trying to do a clean install of the OS which came with Windows Vista Home Premium. I know you can use any install disk as long as you have the product key on the PC case. The problem was that the disc I used from a friend was not only a Dell cd but the real problem is that it is Windows Vista Home Basic. So now obviously I have a Home Premium product key but I have Home Basic installed and it says "Build 6002" This copy of Windows is not genuine. How do I get Home Premium reinstalled without the disc if I am not withing the HP warranty. Their customer service seems hard to deal with especially since I am not the original owner of the PC. Any help is much appreciated!

You need to borrow a Retail  Home Premium disk - or an Ultimate disk
    Those should work with your Key (but with the Ultimate, you have to install without entering a key, and choose to install Home Premium when asked - when the install is complete, then you can enter your own key)
    If you can get hold of someone at Compaq/HP who knows what they're doing, ask for a Recovery Disk set for your model - they shouldn't get too awkward about it, but they will charge.

--

Noel Paton | Nil Carborundum Illegitemi | CrashFixPC | The Three-toed Sloth
    • Marked as answer by Darin Smith MS Thursday, January 20, 2011 12:48 AM
    Wednesday, January 19, 2011 7:35 PM