Server backup configuration RRS feed

• Question

• G'day,

After a backup of the shared files, is there a way to go into the backup to remove any of the files.

Two scenarios

1. I have a 500g hdd for the backup. I have 3 x 150G folders to back up. One of the folders isn't really, really important, just semi important.
    Now, in a years time, when two of those folders grows in size and I want keep using the same Hdd, I want to be able to remove the third folder from the backups.

2. If I start with a 500G Hdd and then in a years time the data grows, how do I then use a larger Hdd.

Thanks in advance.

Saturday, June 14, 2008 4:49 AM

Answers

• No, you cant go into a backup and remove files or folders.

If you think that you might need to, my suggestion would be to perform your normal backup, change the backup configuration to exclude the folder you dont think you may need, perform a manual backup (naming it something obvious for later), change the backup config back so that everything is backed up again.

As for question 2 - you just add a larger hard drive. You can then have that and the other hard drives still in the pool (so even more space for you to use), or you could have WHS remove the old drive for you. Although unless you were stuck for physical space, you should leave the drive there.

Andrew

Saturday, June 14, 2008 6:34 AM
  • to answer your 2nd question.

You would need to buy a bigger backup drive or buy a 2nd backup drive and split how you backup your shared folders across the 2 drives.  you can use more than 1 hard drive for backing up your home server.  The size of the largest drive should be larger than any single shared folder, as you can't split the backup of a single shared folder across 2 separate hard drives.

Tuesday, June 17, 2008 2:18 PM

All replies

• No, you cant go into a backup and remove files or folders.

If you think that you might need to, my suggestion would be to perform your normal backup, change the backup configuration to exclude the folder you dont think you may need, perform a manual backup (naming it something obvious for later), change the backup config back so that everything is backed up again.

As for question 2 - you just add a larger hard drive. You can then have that and the other hard drives still in the pool (so even more space for you to use), or you could have WHS remove the old drive for you. Although unless you were stuck for physical space, you should leave the drive there.

Andrew

Saturday, June 14, 2008 6:34 AM
  • Thank you for your reply.

The second question was in relation to the backup drive and not one that is in the pool.

Tuesday, June 17, 2008 5:39 AM
  • to answer your 2nd question.

You would need to buy a bigger backup drive or buy a 2nd backup drive and split how you backup your shared folders across the 2 drives.  you can use more than 1 hard drive for backing up your home server.  The size of the largest drive should be larger than any single shared folder, as you can't split the backup of a single shared folder across 2 separate hard drives.

Tuesday, June 17, 2008 2:18 PM