Help - Looks like my motherboard died! RRS feed

• Question

• I've been running the OEM version without any problems of about two months now. However, unfortunately when I logged on to a client PC this morning the connector said that the server was unavailable.

I went to the server and it was off - I rebooted and all I got was a continuous steam of short beeps - I checked the trouble shooting section of the motherboard manual to see that it indicated 'power error'.

I've swapped over the power supply and unfortunately I'm getting the same problem - No boot just audible tone.

I'm thinking that the motherboard has gone bang - Gigabyte GA-965P - DS3

Can I simply replace the motherboard, and if so, what should I look out for. I obviously do not want to loose any of the shared or back up data on the WHS - Is this possible??

Please help as getting desperate!!

Many thanks in advance

Wednesday, January 23, 2008 10:56 AM

All replies

• If the motherboard is new enough to still be under warranty, get it replaced. If not, then I see NewEgg still has "open box" units.

If you can't find a closely compatible motherboard you may have to do a server reinstallation to get everything working again. A server reinstallation will rebuild the C: partition but will leave your data (shares, backups) intact.
    Wednesday, January 23, 2008 1:01 PM
  • Many thanks Ken

It's good to hear that I won't loose data!!! -

I just rechecked the origional power supply and it uses the 20+4 pin connector to connect to the MoBo, unfortunately the PSU I replaced it with to test only has a 20pin connector - does that matter that much??

All I want to find out is what I need to replace - MoBo or PSU (or CPU??)

many thanks
    Wednesday, January 23, 2008 1:46 PM
  • If you're talking about the additional 4 pins that go on the end of the 20 pin connector, no it's not usually required. Your motherboard manual will tell you for sure, though. If your motherboard requires an additional connector that's not part of that connector (usually near the CPU) that other connector usually is required. Once again, your motherboard manual will tell you.
    Wednesday, January 23, 2008 4:36 PM
  • Thanks Ken

After a little playing around it seems that one of the Ram slots on the MoBo is playing up (I've now had to put each of the  512Ram in different coloured slots - will this cause any problems?).

I've managed to get the system back up and running, however I'm noticing that the system is now running very very slowly - It also seems that the Lan connection is now running at 100 and not the 1000 previously. I've reloaded the drivers but no luck.

One other point, when I reboot and try to log on as administrator, I get told that my personal settings cannot be stored locally and it has to create a temporary setting for admin which is lost on each re-boot.

I can't help feel that something gone wrong with either the MoBo or the WHS instillation?

Anybody got any thoughts?

I'm thinking that I'll buy another (similar) MoBo and go for a repaire install - I can't afford to loose the shared data.

Cheers

Thursday, January 24, 2008 11:35 AM
  • It sounds like something damaged your motherbaord. How new is your power supply? Did you have a power surge recently?

If you buy another copy of that motherboard, or another motherboard from the same manufacturer with the same chipset, you can probably swap it in, reconnect everything the same way (the same cables connected to the same connectors) and you'll be back up and running. At worst (different manufacturer, chipset, etc.) you may need to do a server reinstallation, but even there you may just need to install some drivers.
    Thursday, January 24, 2008 1:04 PM
  • Hi Ken

PS (Corsair 450w) is only about 3 month old - I suspect that we have had a power surge although the WHS is sitting behind a surge protector power cord?!

It looks like another motherboard may be in order!!

Thursday, January 24, 2008 3:18 PM