Unable to complete WHS Connector Service RRS feed

• Question

• Hi-

I recently set up a new WHS using an OEM copy.  After getting it all set up, installing SageTV, and configuring my main workstation PC, all seemed well and the server was making nightly backups, SageTV is working, and all the shares are available across the network.

Today I tried to set it up to backup another PC in the house (my wifes), but I am unable to get the connector service installed.  I can reach the server via http://server,  access the shares, access it via remote desktop connection...  but when I run the connect installer either from the CD or d/l'ed from the server, it will show the spinning disc at "Downloading software from..., 0% complete" and then "the files were not downloaded... an unexpected condition prevented the server from fulfilling the request". 

I ran the connector troubleshooter, from the WHS toolkit, and it gives me the following suggestions-

• The version of the Connector software does not match the version of Windows Home Server
    • Cannot connect to the server secure internal Web site

If I run the troubleshooter on my PC that is connected to WHS, I only get the first error.  I have restarted the router, all computers, etc multiple time.  Looking through the whs_connect_tshoot.doc, I followed the directions and have difficulty with-https://server:56000/enroll/id.xml which tells me that there is an invalid security certificate.  I get a similiar error on the computer that is working.  I have tried some of the suggestions on http://support.microsoft.com/kb/939218, where the doc refers me, but I am not sure that I have done this correctly as the description of the problem does not really match mine.  FWIW, I have not registerd the copy of WHS yet, in the event that there is some problem with my HW prompting a switch to something new.  As the server seems to be otherwise working well, I doubt that this is really a HW issue though.

I would like to get this working, as the backup features of WHS are what really convinced me to re-build my working sageTV server, so as to be sure that my wifes computer was backuped (I would be the one who will have to fix it and try to get her data back...).  Please advise and thanks in advance for your help!

Cheers, Mike

Mike
    Monday, January 26, 2009 5:07 AM

Answers

• Hi Mike.

please check the event log of your server. Invalid file handle could be a symptom for a failing disk, so that the tombstones in d:\shares make the appearance ok, but the file on the disk, to which the tombstone points, is no longer available.

Btw. installing a TV application on the server is unsupported and may have side effects, especially if you allow it to write directly to drives, which are part of the storage managed by WHS.

I would tend to recommend a server reinstall and applying all updates first, without any 3rd party applications.

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf

Tuesday, January 27, 2009 9:22 AM

All replies

• Hi Mike,

If you can connect via http://server then try and use http://server:55000 and download the connector software from there.  The connector software is most likely out-of-date and by using this link will ensure you download and install the same version of Windows Home Server Connector on your home computer(s).

• Proposed as answer by moto.48 Monday, January 26, 2009 6:14 AM
    • Unproposed as answer by FrankieGaspacho Monday, January 26, 2009 2:14 PM
    Monday, January 26, 2009 5:50 AM
  • Hi Mike,

another option is to install the connector software directly from the Software share on the server by running setup.exe in the folder Home Server Connector Software.

Olaf

Monday, January 26, 2009 9:18 AM
  • moto.48 said:

Hi Mike,

If you can connect via http://server then try and use http://server:55000 and download the connector software from there.  The connector software is most likely out-of-date and by using this link will ensure you download and install the same version of Windows Home Server Connector on your home computer(s).

Thank you for the suggestion, I have tried this and have the same issue.  Because the toolkit give the same error on the working computer, I think that the the connector troubleshooter always gives this error.

Mike
    Monday, January 26, 2009 11:57 AM
  • Olaf Engelke said:

Hi Mike,

another option is to install the connector software directly from the Software share on the server by running setup.exe in the folder Home Server Connector Software.

Olaf

Thanks for the reply.

When I click on setup.exe in the share folder, it asks if I would like to run, then "Fatal Application Exit.. CopyFile" error.

Cheers, Mike

Mike
    Monday, January 26, 2009 12:04 PM
  • Hi Mike,

could be, that your installation folder in the software share contains faulty or missing files. Log in to your server locally or via Remote Desktop, open C:\WHS in Windows Explorer and execute ConnectorInstallAssistant.cmd.

This should take care of eventually missing files.

The not matching versions reported by Toolkit are a known issue, resulting from the fact, that not all components got updated version numbers in the process of WHS upgrades.

Olaf

Monday, January 26, 2009 12:41 PM
  • Olaf Engelke said:

could be, that your installation folder in the software share contains faulty or missing files. Log in to your server locally or via Remote Desktop, open C:\WHS in Windows Explorer and execute ConnectorInstallAssistant.cmd.

Thanks for the suggestion.  I do not have a ConectorInstallAssistant.cmd file in c:\WHS.  There is a ConectorInstallAssistant.exe.  Is that the file that I should try to execute?

Mike
    Monday, January 26, 2009 11:18 PM
  • FrankieGaspacho said:

Olaf Engelke said:

Thanks for the suggestion.  I do not have a ConectorInstallAssistant.cmd file in c:\WHS.  There is a ConectorInstallAssistant.exe.  Is that the file that I should try to execute?

Hi Mike,

no idea about the exe file, I see it only on one of my two systems (the localized version). (Could it be, that you have still toggled hide extensions for known file types in folder options?). The cmd file is definitively here on both systems and has following content:

@ECHO OFF

SETLOCAL

SET ALLFILES=Setup.exe WHSConnector.msi WHSConnector_x64.msi WHSConnectorInstall.exe WHS_ConnectorHelp.chm WHSVersionUpgrade.dll WHSVersionUpgrade_x64.dll

SET SRCPATH="%SYSTEMDRIVE%\WHS\"
    SET FSUTILPATH="%SYSTEMROOT%\System32\fsutil.exe"
    SET ATTRIBPATH="%SYSTEMROOT%\System32\attrib.exe"

SET FR="D:\Shares\Logiciel\Home Server Connector Software\"
    SET OTHER="D:\Shares\Software\Home Server Connector Software\"

SET TARGETPATH=""

FOR %%P in (%OTHER% %FR%) DO (
     IF EXIST %%P (
      SET TARGETPATH=%%P
      GOTO CONTINUE
     )
    )

IF %TARGETPATH% == "" GOTO EXIT

:CONTINUE

FOR %%F in (%ALLFILES%) DO (
     IF EXIST %TARGETPATH%%%F (
      %ATTRIBPATH% -R -S -H %TARGETPATH%%%F 2> NUL
      DEL %TARGETPATH%%%F 2> NUL
      IF EXIST %TARGETPATH%%%F (
       %FSUTILPATH% reparsepoint delete %TARGETPATH%%%F 2> NUL
       DEL %TARGETPATH%%%F 2> NUL
      )
     )
    )

FOR %%F in (%ALLFILES%) DO (
     COPY %SRCPATH%%%F %TARGETPATH% 2> NUL
    )

:EXIT

ENDLOCAL

Monday, January 26, 2009 11:27 PM
  • It is not on the server.  Should I try to make one with the info that you gave me above and run it?
    Mike
    Monday, January 26, 2009 11:55 PM
  • This FAQ post will tell you what you need to do to get the connector properly in place.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Tuesday, January 27, 2009 2:18 AM
  • Ken Warren said:

This FAQ post will tell you what you need to do to get the connector properly in place.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)

Thank you-

I followed the directions in the FAQ, although the files were already in the correct location on the shared drive.  I tried to overwrite them, but got "Error copying File or Folder- Cannot copy WHSConnector:Invalid file handle."

Any ideas?

Thanks again and I appreciate all the help from this forum!

Mike
    Tuesday, January 27, 2009 2:36 AM
  • Hi Mike.

please check the event log of your server. Invalid file handle could be a symptom for a failing disk, so that the tombstones in d:\shares make the appearance ok, but the file on the disk, to which the tombstone points, is no longer available.

Btw. installing a TV application on the server is unsupported and may have side effects, especially if you allow it to write directly to drives, which are part of the storage managed by WHS.

I would tend to recommend a server reinstall and applying all updates first, without any 3rd party applications.

Olaf

Tuesday, January 27, 2009 9:22 AM
  • Thanks-

I did not see anything in the event viewer when trying to transfer the file.  Do you think that I should get a new HD and then try a server re-install?

I was hoping to not have to do that, but would rather get it right.

Cheers, Mike

Mike
    Tuesday, January 27, 2009 12:51 PM
  • FrankieGaspacho said:

Thanks-

I did not see anything in the event viewer when trying to transfer the file.  Do you think that I should get a new HD and then try a server re-install?

I was hoping to not have to do that, but would rather get it right.

Cheers, Mike

Mike

Invalid file handles are not necessarily caused by failing hard disks. Could also be some software problem that caused this, or disk ID's messed up somehow in the WHS registry (sometimes caused by problems with external (USB) hard disks). Please check first if all disk appear in the WHS console, storage tab.  

If yes I would suggest you:

1. Run chkdsk /f /r on all of your server hard drives (including the data disks which you can find in C:\fs)

2. Reinstall WHS on your current hardware (server reinstallation which should preserver all data and backups)

3. Make sure all updates are applied before installing any third party software.

For SageTV I suggest you the  WHS specific version

If one or more disk are not showing up in the storage tab please check if they are connected properly

• Edited by brubberModerator Tuesday, January 27, 2009 1:53 PM chekc if disk are all there in storage tab
    Tuesday, January 27, 2009 1:51 PM
  • Thanks to all for the help!

It looks like my main HD was bad.  I went down to the basement and it was making an awful grinding sound (actually does not suprise me as this was a old HD that was previously used for TV recording storage and probably took quite a beating over the years).  I replaced it with a fresh one and all is working well!

Note to self- dont use the old HD for the main system drive...  One of those lessons you should never have to learn.

Thanks again for the assistance.  I will live in peace knowing that my wife's computer is backup up!

Cheers, Mike

Mike
    Wednesday, January 28, 2009 3:26 AM