Restore from WHS - NIC not detected RRS feed

• Question

• I am trying to restore a Dell Latitude E6500. It has a Broadcom NIC card. The machine was backed up successfully on WHS. I have gone through the process of copying the drivers onto a USB drive and I booted from the PC restore disk. However the Restore Wizard does not detect ANY NIC card. (It was detecting just the WIFI card but I disabled that WIFI card in the BIOS and now it is not detecting ANY NIC card. )

Anyone have a clue?

Bill J
    Monday, February 9, 2009 11:16 PM

Answers

• This tends to occur when then PC in question is running XP. 
    Reason:  the recovery enviroment is based on Windows Vista.  Therefore, downloading the latest Vista-compatible NIC driver from, in your case, Dell, extracting it, and copying it to the USB drive, will correct the issue.

HTH,
    Chris

[If this post helps to resolve your issue, please click the "Mark as Answer" or "Helpful" button at the top of this message. By marking a post as Answered, or Helpful you help others find the answer faster.]
    • Marked as answer by awjensen Tuesday, February 10, 2009 3:48 AM
    Tuesday, February 10, 2009 2:50 AM

All replies

• Do you know for a fact that the NIC is good?

Well, if the system does not detect it automatically what happens when you try to add it manually? Is it even listed/detected in the device manager tree?

Does a MAC for the Broadcom get listed when you do a IPCONFIG /ALL in a command prompt window? Some NIC cards will not be installed or detected until after the drivers have been installed and then a reboot is done.
    PACS Technical Support Engineer
    Tuesday, February 10, 2009 2:09 AM
  • This tends to occur when then PC in question is running XP. 
    Reason:  the recovery enviroment is based on Windows Vista.  Therefore, downloading the latest Vista-compatible NIC driver from, in your case, Dell, extracting it, and copying it to the USB drive, will correct the issue.

HTH,
    Chris

[If this post helps to resolve your issue, please click the "Mark as Answer" or "Helpful" button at the top of this message. By marking a post as Answered, or Helpful you help others find the answer faster.]
    • Marked as answer by awjensen Tuesday, February 10, 2009 3:48 AM
    Tuesday, February 10, 2009 2:50 AM
  • I downloaded all of the drivers for XP and Vista and copied them to the USB stick. The home server restore program then found the driver it needed. What I don't understand is why the required driver for the NIC would not have been stored in the backup?
    Bill J
    Tuesday, February 10, 2009 4:03 AM
  • Hi,
    its simple the fact, that drivers, which are made for Windows XP, may or may not run with Vista (more often they are not that universal, that they run with both OS). The restore CD is based on Vista PE, so the drivers extracted from the running OS may not always fit.
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Tuesday, February 10, 2009 8:58 AM