Folder Duplication - Is it worth it? RRS feed

• Question

• I am wondering about Folder Duplication. I have 4x1.5TB HDDs in my PC at the moment I do have some folders which I want to keep safe. Namely work and family photos. However, these are very very large folders containing many subfolders and files.

Should I consider leaving this feature on just for them? Will they impact system performance since there's over 5k subfolders in between them with god knows how many individual files. I have done some Googling and heard that Folder Duplication is something like OS level RAID which will impact system performance and hog resources.

Any advice?
    Monday, February 22, 2010 8:35 PM

Answers

• Advice? Turn on duplication for the shares that contain data you don't want to lose tomorrow.

Drive Extender doesn't deliver the same level of performance that a high-end RAID subsystem can, but it's not bad, and your network will introduce more latency and bottlenecks on average than DE will anyway. Plus you'll need to break a very large (over 2 TB) array up into logical volumes to feed to Windows Home Server anyway, and once you do that you have the RAID overhead and complexity plus Drive Extender (which is involved in all file operations, even if there's no duplication enabled).

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Monday, February 22, 2010 8:50 PM

All replies

• Advice? Turn on duplication for the shares that contain data you don't want to lose tomorrow.

Drive Extender doesn't deliver the same level of performance that a high-end RAID subsystem can, but it's not bad, and your network will introduce more latency and bottlenecks on average than DE will anyway. Plus you'll need to break a very large (over 2 TB) array up into logical volumes to feed to Windows Home Server anyway, and once you do that you have the RAID overhead and complexity plus Drive Extender (which is involved in all file operations, even if there's no duplication enabled).

Monday, February 22, 2010 8:50 PM

Drive Extender doesn't deliver the same level of performance that a high-end RAID subsystem can, but it's not bad, and your network will introduce more latency and bottlenecks on average than DE will anyway. Plus you'll need to break a very large (over 2 TB) array up into logical volumes to feed to Windows Home Server anyway, and once you do that you have the RAID overhead and complexity plus  Drive Extender (which is involved in all file operations, even if there's no duplication enabled).

Thanks again Ken :) Boy you seem to live on these forums! :D
    Monday, February 22, 2010 9:24 PM