Errr... RRS feed

• Question

• I guess the point of this eludes me.

What does this do for me that adding to my Favorites doesn't, apart from making it less obvious and requiring more clicks to find the page that I used to test it out?

I thought that maybe they would appear gathered on the Favourites menu, or popup when I clicked the Tagspace button, but no.

I just went to try and find it again in order to refer to some of the terms and cyclical results that I saw when investigating which seemed of little value ("adsf" and "outllok", and tags that seem to link back to themselves), but I can't find it now. I must add it to my Fav- hmmm.

The tag cloud just seems like a random slice through current tags, like the Google search wall showing current searches. I guess that's just what it is, so technically it's kinda neat. How is this better than actually searching for something you want to find?

I'm sure the team find it very cool but I can't see the benefit and I'd like to understand what it can do for me.

Friday, November 10, 2006 1:20 AM

Answers

• Fair questions, all.

With respect to Live Favorites: Live Favorites will provide a pervasive sync with your favorites across Microsoft applications, like IE7, etc. You have access to your favorites and you can tag them as you see fit. That's fine as far as it goes. But the community as a whole doesn't benefit from that effort; your tags don't get surfaced in a public "cloud," nor are others able to see the things you've tagged, figure out what interests them, and determine whether they want to "connect" with you in some fashion. This is the promise of "Web 2.0" social bookmarking applications, and the direction we're headed. We aren't there yet. Right now, it's just a basic system for tagging and collecting info of interest to you on MSCOM, and then helping others to discover those items by virtue of your tags. So we're only really maybe a quarter of the way to the promised land.

Note that if you tag something in our system, you can easily find it again in your view represented by "My items" in the toolbar--I hope you were able to find it. If not, then we've got some work to do on making this more prominent.

As for the tag cloud--it's just one convenient and currently popular way to display the top 100 tags used in the system, linked to the items that are so tagged. What you get to see, if it works right, is tags of different size showing the relative popularity of those tags. You can in an instant get a sense of what the most popular tags are, and by extension, some of the most heavily tagged resources. It's kind of primitive, I agree, and I'd like to explore other ways to show global and personal tag clusters to users. Over time, it will become more useful--right now there are so few tags and tagged items in the system, some junk items are disproportionately represented. We have to work our way through this and make it more useful.

Thanks so much for your comments--let us know if you need any further info, etc.

-  dave

Friday, November 10, 2006 10:08 PM

All replies

• Fair questions, all.

With respect to Live Favorites: Live Favorites will provide a pervasive sync with your favorites across Microsoft applications, like IE7, etc. You have access to your favorites and you can tag them as you see fit. That's fine as far as it goes. But the community as a whole doesn't benefit from that effort; your tags don't get surfaced in a public "cloud," nor are others able to see the things you've tagged, figure out what interests them, and determine whether they want to "connect" with you in some fashion. This is the promise of "Web 2.0" social bookmarking applications, and the direction we're headed. We aren't there yet. Right now, it's just a basic system for tagging and collecting info of interest to you on MSCOM, and then helping others to discover those items by virtue of your tags. So we're only really maybe a quarter of the way to the promised land.

Note that if you tag something in our system, you can easily find it again in your view represented by "My items" in the toolbar--I hope you were able to find it. If not, then we've got some work to do on making this more prominent.

As for the tag cloud--it's just one convenient and currently popular way to display the top 100 tags used in the system, linked to the items that are so tagged. What you get to see, if it works right, is tags of different size showing the relative popularity of those tags. You can in an instant get a sense of what the most popular tags are, and by extension, some of the most heavily tagged resources. It's kind of primitive, I agree, and I'd like to explore other ways to show global and personal tag clusters to users. Over time, it will become more useful--right now there are so few tags and tagged items in the system, some junk items are disproportionately represented. We have to work our way through this and make it more useful.

Thanks so much for your comments--let us know if you need any further info, etc.

-  dave

Friday, November 10, 2006 10:08 PM
  • Thanks for your helpful reply, Dave. I guess I need to check out Live Favourites as well :)

I've been thinking about it since I posted, and certainly can see that tagging items of interest with several relevant keywords could be useful cross-referencing. As I said, the cloud is technically interesting so I'll reserve judgement on the public tagging until those alpha testing settle down :) Colour-coding could be an interesting way of discriminating between the private/public tags, and would allow those so interested to see how popular their tags are in the top 100.

I'd certainly like at least the option to make My Items the default page, rather than the public one (which is how I missed it first time).

Hopefully the team will be able to push the "tagspace" icon about to remind us to do it and attract a wider range of users.

I'm interested to see how this develops.

Regards

Steve

Sunday, November 12, 2006 5:44 PM
  •  Crash2975 wrote:

I guess the point of this eludes me.

What does this do for me that adding to my Favorites doesn't, apart from making it less obvious and requiring more clicks to find the page that I used to test it out?

I thought that maybe they would appear gathered on the Favourites menu, or popup when I clicked the Tagspace button, but no.

I just went to try and find it again in order to refer to some of the terms and cyclical results that I saw when investigating which seemed of little value ("adsf" and "outllok", and tags that seem to link back to themselves), but I can't find it now. I must add it to my Fav- hmmm.

The tag cloud just seems like a random slice through current tags, like the Google search wall showing current searches. I guess that's just what it is, so technically it's kinda neat. How is this better than actually searching for something you want to find?

I'm sure the team find it very cool but I can't see the benefit and I'd like to understand what it can do for me.

Monday, November 20, 2006 2:38 PM