none
Beginner - Certification Advice Needed! RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

Advice needed.......

I have Bachelor of Science in Business Administration with a major in Management Information Systems. I have very minimal work experience with MS Active Directory and MS SQL. I would like to pursue Database Administration. I'm considering MCSA, not sure if that's where I should start.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

TCallum :)

• Edited by TCallum Wednesday, September 5, 2012 5:28 AM
    Wednesday, September 5, 2012 5:27 AM

Answers

• Check those exams you would like to pursue on microsoft.com/learning and see what preparation materials are available. Also get access to SQL Server, at least express edition (can be in virtual PC or directly on your machine) and get your hands dirty with the server. Get some hands on experience. 

Also technet.microsoft.com and msdn.microsoft.com will be a good source of knowledge.

Marek Chmel, WBI Systems (MCTS, MCITP, MCT, CCNA)
    Please Mark As Answer if my post solves your problem or Vote As Helpful if a post has been helpful for you.

• Proposed as answer by Horizon_NetEditor Wednesday, September 5, 2012 9:23 AM
    • Marked as answer by TCallum Wednesday, September 5, 2012 7:54 PM
    Wednesday, September 5, 2012 6:20 AM
  • MCSA: SQL Server 2012 is the best place for you to start http://www.microsoft.com/learning/en/us/certification/cert-sql-server-mcsa.aspx

When you see answers and helpful posts, please click Vote As Helpful, Propose As Answer, and/or Mark As Answer

Jeff Wharton
    MSysDev (C.Sturt), MDbDsgnMgt (C.Sturt), MCT, MCPD, MCSD, MCITP, MCDBA
    Blog: Mr. Wharty's Ramblings
    Twitter: @Mr_Wharty
    MC ID: Microsoft Transcript

Wednesday, September 5, 2012 7:50 AM

All replies

• Check those exams you would like to pursue on microsoft.com/learning and see what preparation materials are available. Also get access to SQL Server, at least express edition (can be in virtual PC or directly on your machine) and get your hands dirty with the server. Get some hands on experience. 

Also technet.microsoft.com and msdn.microsoft.com will be a good source of knowledge.

Marek Chmel, WBI Systems (MCTS, MCITP, MCT, CCNA)
    Please Mark As Answer if my post solves your problem or Vote As Helpful if a post has been helpful for you.

Wednesday, September 5, 2012 6:20 AM
  • MCSA: SQL Server 2012 is the best place for you to start http://www.microsoft.com/learning/en/us/certification/cert-sql-server-mcsa.aspx

When you see answers and helpful posts, please click Vote As Helpful, Propose As Answer, and/or Mark As Answer

Jeff Wharton
    MSysDev (C.Sturt), MDbDsgnMgt (C.Sturt), MCT, MCPD, MCSD, MCITP, MCDBA
    Blog: Mr. Wharty's Ramblings
    Twitter: @Mr_Wharty
    MC ID: Microsoft Transcript

Wednesday, September 5, 2012 7:50 AM