Can not upgrade trial licence to full? RRS feed

• Question

• I installed the 90 day trial enterprise version of CRM4 a while ago, and I now want to use my MSDN key (so it doesn't expire). I enter the MSDN enterprise key via deployment manager, but it says that the key is invalid???

Why can't I use the MSDN key (same level of product - enterprise)? The trial download page clearly states that you can update the licence before the end of the 90 days to a full licence.

Any ideas anyone?

Thursday, April 3, 2008 9:12 AM

Answers

All replies

• .... I just found this on the net. Looks like it's a known 'issue'

http://blogs.msdn.com/ukcrm/archive/2008/01/24/crm-4-0-msdn-license-key-change.aspx

Can't use an MSDN licence to upgrade a trial installation. Brilliant.

Thursday, April 3, 2008 9:18 AM
  • As I understand the issue, you will need to uninstall the trial version, saving your database, and then reinstall CRM using the existing databases and use your MSDN key.

Friday, April 4, 2008 4:15 AM
  • MSDN is for development, the key for MSDN is not the key you can use to make a trail license permanent.

I have understood from Microsoft that there are only 2 ways to install and activate the software:

1. Download the software from eOpen / MVLS (only possible if you have the right to use the license), the license is in the software.

2. Buy the DVD via eOpen / MVLS, the license key is on the DVD.

If however you have installed a trail version and need to make it permanent, you can order the DVD (option 2) and in our case, there was no option to buy the DVD via MVLS. Microsoft advised us to download and install the software again with option 1 (software download).

Best Regards

Monday, October 6, 2008 1:25 PM