Lost Connection to WHS following MRxSmb [8003] Event during backup window RRS feed

• Question

•  

The server loses connection to the clients during the backup window, requiring a manual reboot.

Approximately every hour during the window a MrxSmb error [Event ID 8003] is generated in the WHS System Event Log. This states "The master browser has received a server announcement from the computer xxxxxxx that believes that is is the master browser for the doman on transport NetBT_Tcpip_{D503F39C-2BFD-4275-8. The master browser is stopping or an election is being forced.

Following a manual reboot of the server the a further BROWSER [Event ID 8032] is listed. This states "The browser service has failed to retrieve the backup list too many times on transport \Device\NetBT_Tcpip_{D503F39C-2BFD-4275-803B-4E669C326AA5}. The backup browser is stopping.

The WHS has been updated with PP1 beta over the original OEM build. 3 Clients have been added, 2 using the x64 connector and 1 using the i386 connector.

During initial backup (not in the scheduled backup window), one of the x64 clients caused a similar behaviour and lost connection during the "reorganizing data on server". This was resolved by not including the 600gb D:\ drive within the backup.

The same event messages can be seen during the manual backup. However, the client sending the master browser announcement is the other client on x64, and did not have a problem!

Additionally, I had observed this behaviour pre-PP1, but have not been using the connector software until PP1 again. So I don't believe it is peculiar to PP1 or the x64 client.

Reported as a bug: https://connect.microsoft.com/WindowsHomeServer/feedback/ViewFeedback.aspx?FeedbackID=352387

Sunday, June 22, 2008 11:27 AM

All replies

• PMFranklin, you have a problem with NetBIOS name resolution on your network. That error suggests that you have more than one computer that wants to be the master browser (the computer that services NetBIOS name requests and keeps track of the browse list).

There are several ways to identify and correct the situation. I would start with this article on Microsoft's support site, and this one.
    Tuesday, June 24, 2008 1:14 AM
  • Thanks Ken,  I had read those articles.  As everything is straight out of the box, just sat on my workgroup, with no domain, then I don't have any WINS server, unless the router counts.  Though I admit I am not an expert when it comes to network configurations.

I turned off Computer Browser service on the client listed in the error, but again Sunday night the backup failed, with the server needing a reboot. If I am right, then in theory turning off this service should have prevented it from announcing itself as a master?

Last night, I powered off the client so it couldn't back up.  Today, the server is not affected. 

So I think there is very definitately a link here, there is something peculiar to WHS and these events during the backup window.  What would cause this behaviour purely in the backup window, and why wouldn't the server recover once the client is offline?

Cheers

Paul

Tuesday, June 24, 2008 6:39 AM
  • If you haven't done so yet, could you make sure you include logs from your server and the client causing the problems on that bug report?
    Tuesday, June 24, 2008 3:17 PM
  •  

Hi Ken,

Could you advise which logs?  I have uploaded all those as per the bug submission procedure.  I didn't check to see whether they included the Computer Management event logs.  Can you advise?

Thanks

Tuesday, June 24, 2008 5:32 PM
  •  

Failed again last night.  Woke up to a "dead" server.  The client was left on!

I checked those articles and from my limited knowledge all network configurations looked bog standard.  The next step will be to leave the client on but with the Connector disabled/uninstalled.  I am confident this will work, as the same "workaround" worked pre PP1 as well - which leads me to believe it is tied to the WHS backup and/or Connector.

Of course this "workaround" is pretty useless as I'd like to automate backups and use the console instead of RDPing the server.

Wednesday, June 25, 2008 7:37 AM