Cannot Edit and Save Office files accessed remotely on server, get message file is Read-Only. RRS feed

• Question

• We recently installed a file server at work, an HP Storage Works x510 Data Vault.  Works GREAT for file sharing while hooked up to the in-house 'wired' network.  (No issues like the one that follows below).  The server has Windows Home Server (WHS) software running it.

I can access the server and files remotely.  HOWEVER, the problem arises when I revise and try to save an office file (Word, Excel, etc.), I get a message the file is 'Read-Only' and must be saved under a different file name (Copy of).  The file on the server is clearly NOT checked as Read-Only.  My laptop (which accesses the server remotely) is clearly authorized thru WHS to have 'Full' access to the files on the server.

I feel I have everything set-up as it's supposed to be, I can open files, change/modify/edit the file(s), but I'm unable to simply save the original file.

Any suggestions sincerely appreciated.
    Wednesday, March 10, 2010 4:32 PM

All replies

I can access the server and files remotely.
    How are you doing this?
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Wednesday, March 10, 2010 5:07 PM
  • MS Office tries to open a temporary file on the same location as the file is.
    This will not reliable work for WAN connections (which are not good for modifying any Office document).
    So the proper way is to download the file, edit it locally and upload the changed file.
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Wednesday, March 10, 2010 7:28 PM