File conflict and Access Denied using TakeOwn.exe RRS feed

• Question

• I have got this file that I can't delete. It happened after a system crash, so the CHKDSK kicked in upon next reboot. After that, I can't delete the file. THis is on Windows Home Server, although it's probably a NTFS related issue. The file is one of those hidden Thumbs.db, and my WHS reports a "File conflict" on the file, the reason: Access Denied"

What I have tried so far, running as an Administrator:
    Delete: Access Denied
    TakeOwn.exe : Access Denied
    Attrib.exe -s -h : Access Denied
    cacls.exe : Access Denied (even whe trying to display the current owner)
    Rename: File not found (its hidden)
    Re-boot in to safe mode and tried the above: Access Denied

Tizer Unlocker: Fail (Doesn't find anything locking the file)
    File Assasin: Crashes ("FindRemoteFileHandles returned NULL value.")

I have used the CHKDSK /f again, rebooted since some suggestions is that the file has been corrupted, but that didn't change anything.
    Any suggestions ?

My blog: InsomniacGeek.com
    Monday, April 12, 2010 8:58 PM

Answers

• I found a solution. Or rather, a tip was given to me which led to the solution. Using a software called Unlocker from Cedrick Collomb did the trick. It didn't find any open file handles or any other problems, but it had an option to force delete/renamve/move the parent folder, which I did. And that pesky little file was removed, and my Home Server is happy again, reporting no file conflicts.

/M

Saturday, July 17, 2010 12:11 PM

All replies

• Might try a "chkdsk /r" which will scan all sectors

There is also WHScleanup utility, if its a bad reparse point

Monday, April 12, 2010 10:17 PM
  • chkdsk /r is a good place to start. Run it on all disks in your server, per this FAQ . You can also try running takeown and cacls in a command prompt running under the local system account, which has more privileges than the Administrator account. I would use psexec -i -s cmd.exe (you can download psexec from the Sysinternals area on Technet) to get local system privileges.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Tuesday, April 13, 2010 1:27 AM
  • @Ken. chkdsk /r didn't help, nor did running as Local System. :(

@Evadres99. WHSCleanup gets Access Denied when trying to read the file.

Any more suggestions?

Wednesday, April 14, 2010 5:24 AM
  • I found a solution. Or rather, a tip was given to me which led to the solution. Using a software called Unlocker from Cedrick Collomb did the trick. It didn't find any open file handles or any other problems, but it had an option to force delete/renamve/move the parent folder, which I did. And that pesky little file was removed, and my Home Server is happy again, reporting no file conflicts.

/M

Saturday, July 17, 2010 12:11 PM
  • Yes, finally! the Unlocker worked. I was able to delete the files that were Access Denied.
    Monday, February 13, 2012 8:18 AM