Updated: File Conflict Error Messages and PP1 RRS feed

• General discussion

• Hello Everyone,

We have placed a post in the FAQ here regarding how to resolve file conflicts. If your issue is not listed in this post, please submit a bug on the Connect site. If you are not already registered on Connect, please sign up and then join our program.

For bugs we will need the following:

1. 2 (two) screenshots of the error message. One that is right justified and one that is left justified in order to capture the entire error message so that none of the text is clipped.
    2. Server CABs (you can use the toolkit found here) to obtain these. If you need to use the cheat sheet to obtain the files, it’s here. Please be sure to submit the CABs as we cannot investigate the bugs without these files.
    3. Clear, and preferably enumerated repro steps.

Thank you,
    Lara Jones
    Windows Home Server Team
    Tuesday, August 19, 2008 9:01 PM

All replies

• Hi Lara,

I have this problem but I don't know where I have put this bug-repot. I will appreciate your help, thanks. If you need more info please tell me.

I copied here my posted today on software forum.

Best regards

ChalyxSP

---

Hi Everyone,

It seems another corruption issue.

I have a Windows Home Server (in Hewlett-Packard harware).

After a time, I see can't remove some user files from D:\shares\users\...

I tried chkdsk /F and remove from console, ... without results.

I think is better erase or format "D:" driver and put again my data user, but I don't know if it solution can't damage my WHS installation (seems drive D: have some system files like:

"DE" & "folders" directory and "QSM_VolumeID" file

Please, can't anyone tell me if I can remove "D:" partition i.e. with integrated tool of Windows System (server administration/Disk administration) and after recreate D: againt ?

If it is posible do it, what basic folders is necesary to recreate on D: driver after recreate this patittion before put again my personal data ? 

I think there is a corruption on control area  of drive D:

I don't like reinstall full WHS for a simple user file problem on drive D:.

If need aditional info, please tell me.

On other hand, I don't find a WHS fix or update (WHS in Spanish) for prevent this corruption problem.

I think there is available a fix for english but I don't know if I can apply it on my WHS/HP Spanish system

Thanks a lot for your support.

---
    Tuesday, August 26, 2008 7:39 PM
  •  CharlyxSP wrote:

Hi Lara,

I have this problem but I don't know where I have put this bug-repot. I will appreciate your help, thanks. If you need more info please tell me.

I copied here my posted today on software forum.

Best regards

ChalyxSP

---

Hi Everyone,

It seems another corruption issue.

I have a Windows Home Server (in Hewlett-Packard harware).

After a time, I see can't remove some user files from D:\shares\users\...

I tried chkdsk /F and remove from console, ... without results.

I think is better erase or format "D:" driver and put again my data user, but I don't know if it solution can't damage my WHS installation (seems drive D: have some system files like:

"DE" & "folders" directory and "QSM_VolumeID" file

Please, can't anyone tell me if I can remove "D:" partition i.e. with integrated tool of Windows System (server administration/Disk administration) and after recreate D: againt ?

If it is posible do it, what basic folders is necesary to recreate on D: driver after recreate this patittion before put again my personal data ? 

I think there is a corruption on control area  of drive D:

I don't like reinstall full WHS for a simple user file problem on drive D:.

If need aditional info, please tell me.

On other hand, I don't find a WHS fix or update (WHS in Spanish) for prevent this corruption problem.

I think there is available a fix for english but I don't know if I can apply it on my WHS/HP Spanish system

Thanks a lot for your support.

---

I've updated your original thread with a steps for filing a bug on Connect.

Thank you

Lara Jones [MS]

Tuesday, August 26, 2008 8:11 PM
  • Lara,

I filed the first or second bug on file conflict issue with the Beta of PP1, but it was chalked up to my AV.  More and more ocurred that were not apart of my AV.  After the public release of PP1 1800, the conflicts stopped.  Well, after some weeks have passed, I've got a new one yesterday.

Question:  Should I file another bug report or not?

Paul Roberts-The Judge-AMD 1.33 GHz, 1.5 gb PC133 ram, 2x500 gb 1x200gb IDE HD's-WHS OEM
    • Edited by judgeschambers Friday, September 12, 2008 11:55 PM change corruption to "confilts"
    Friday, September 5, 2008 3:48 AM
  • You should file a fresh bug report. Thanks!
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Friday, September 5, 2008 4:25 AM
  • I had some file conflicts yesterday, but when I restarted the server they went away.

1) Should/Can I still file a bug? If so, is the process for old errors defined in this thread?
    Tuesday, September 9, 2008 4:30 PM
  • You should probably hold off until the next time you get file conflicts reported. 
    Tuesday, September 9, 2008 5:37 PM
  • Yes, some conflicts will go away with a reboot, but the same one or another will pop up in 24/48 hrs. 
    Paul Roberts-The Judge-AMD 1.33 GHz, 1.5 gb PC133 ram, 2x500 gb 1x200gb IDE HD's-WHS OEM
    Friday, September 12, 2008 11:56 PM
  • You all do understand that most of the time when you get the file conflict, sure a reboot makes the warning go away, but the file is corrupt and becomes blank after that reboot?  The only way to properly fix a file conflict is to take note of which file it is, reboot, delete the file and replace from a backup - if you have a backup.  The priority for Microsoft should be to prevent those file conflicts so users don't have to take these additional steps in the first place.  If a mere file conflict meant a file was locked and I had to reboot, it's a hassle but I could live with it.  If a file is going corrupt once or twice a week there is something extremely wrong there.

Monday, September 15, 2008 9:47 PM
  •      I am also having the file conflict problem, but mine may have started while using RC.  Several months ago I removed the last two PATA drives and added two SATA drives to my hotswap enclosure.  I added the SATA drives to the pool and then removed the PATA drives from the pool before physically removing them.  It took two overnights to move all of the data off of the PATA drives and the server worked fine with no errors after they were removed.  I finally got around to upgrading my server (used the "server re-install" option) to the OEM version this week (The disks have been sitting on the shelf for a while) and it grabbed PP1 in the first round of Windows Update.  As soon as I started re-installing the connector software on my home computers the icon turned yellow.  There were a couple of overdue backups so I thought nothing of it at the time.  I can't get rid of the "There are file conflicts"  warning.  My server is on a KVM so I can access it directly and I can't find the offending files in Windows Explorer to delete them.  The folder isn't even there!  My chkdsk logs all indicate clean.  

Like I said above, I think the problem may have existed in RC but it wasn't picked up until PP1.  I used SyncBack 3.2.14 to backup the shares to an external drive before I began the upgrade.  SyncBack reported problems copying several files.  Sure enough, they are the same ones that now show up in the console as "The system cannot find the drive specified".  I wasn't worried about it at the time because those files still exist on both my laptop and my wife's laptop.  Since I used Server Re-Install I didn't need to restore anything from that backup, but I thought the error it encountered might shed some light on this problem.

Lara,
        I used the server toolkit to send the log files.  The CAB number is 510669491.  I can submit a bug report if you would like. Which error messages would you like screenshots of?  Do you need more info on reproducing the error than I have provided here?

I appreciate any help provided.  As I said, these files exist on other computers so I just need to figure out how to get my server in the green again.

Thanks,

Brian 

Tuesday, September 16, 2008 2:42 PM
  • Cold Deck said:

I am also having the file conflict problem, but mine may have started while using RC.  Several months ago I removed the last two PATA drives and added two SATA drives to my hotswap enclosure.  I added the SATA drives to the pool and then removed the PATA drives from the pool before physically removing them.  It took two overnights to move all of the data off of the PATA drives and the server worked fine with no errors after they were removed.  I finally got around to upgrading my server (used the "server re-install" option) to the OEM version this week (The disks have been sitting on the shelf for a while) and it grabbed PP1 in the first round of Windows Update.  As soon as I started re-installing the connector software on my home computers the icon turned yellow.  There were a couple of overdue backups so I thought nothing of it at the time.  I can't get rid of the "There are file conflicts"  warning.  My server is on a KVM so I can access it directly and I can't find the offending files in Windows Explorer to delete them.  The folder isn't even there!  My chkdsk logs all indicate clean.  

Like I said above, I think the problem may have existed in RC but it wasn't picked up until PP1.  I used SyncBack 3.2.14 to backup the shares to an external drive before I began the upgrade.  SyncBack reported problems copying several files.  Sure enough, they are the same ones that now show up in the console as "The system cannot find the drive specified".  I wasn't worried about it at the time because those files still exist on both my laptop and my wife's laptop.  Since I used Server Re-Install I didn't need to restore anything from that backup, but I thought the error it encountered might shed some light on this problem.

Lara,
        I used the server toolkit to send the log files.  The CAB number is 510669491.  I can submit a bug report if you would like. Which error messages would you like screenshots of?  Do you need more info on reproducing the error than I have provided here?

I appreciate any help provided.  As I said, these files exist on other computers so I just need to figure out how to get my server in the green again.

Thanks,

Brian 

It sounds like you have some invalid reparsepoints.  You could try a tool written by catsaver called Windows Home Server Cleanup Tool.
    Wednesday, September 17, 2008 1:23 AM
  • Cold Deck said:

I am also having the file conflict problem, but mine may have started while using RC.  Several months ago I removed the last two PATA drives and added two SATA drives to my hotswap enclosure.  I added the SATA drives to the pool and then removed the PATA drives from the pool before physically removing them.  It took two overnights to move all of the data off of the PATA drives and the server worked fine with no errors after they were removed.  I finally got around to upgrading my server (used the "server re-install" option) to the OEM version this week (The disks have been sitting on the shelf for a while) and it grabbed PP1 in the first round of Windows Update.  As soon as I started re-installing the connector software on my home computers the icon turned yellow.  There were a couple of overdue backups so I thought nothing of it at the time.  I can't get rid of the "There are file conflicts"  warning.  My server is on a KVM so I can access it directly and I can't find the offending files in Windows Explorer to delete them.  The folder isn't even there!  My chkdsk logs all indicate clean.  

Lara,

Thanks,

Brian 

Hi Brian,

Sending the CAB is not enough as the CABs are actually just stored out on a server with no other associated information such as repro steps.  I will need a bug with the screenshots of the file conflict warnings in order to associate the CAB with your machine(s). The screenshots I am looking for are the detailed file conflict warnings i.e. the detailed listings of which files are missing and the associated error(s).

If you can provide all this information in a bug report, I would appreciate it. The bug report will also provide an easier way for us to communicate back and forth.

Thanks!
    Lara Jones [MSFT] Windows Home Server Team
    Wednesday, September 17, 2008 5:55 PM
  •  OK WHS has been working just fine for months now. A few days ago it was unavailable to any of the connected computers, I connected a monitor and keyboard to see what was up and found the entire system unresponsive. The only thing that worked was to hold the power button and force a shutdown. After reboot I got a network critical warning telling me that the backups were not running and that there were file conflicts  on my public shares.
    I followed the wizard to get the backups running first and WHS deleted all my backups, Great!! at least I had an offsite backup from a few weeks ago. After I got that fixed I did a reboot.
    Next was the file conflicts on the public share WHS recommended an option and I took it ( I believe it was CHKDISK) the public folder does not have duplication turned on and WHS was not able to resolve the issue.  (received an unexpected error)
    Decided that I better copy off the latest Photo Shoot (about ten days worth of nature photography +6gigs worth of photos) and all I was able to get was the folder they were in, after that WHS said the device ws not connected (the source not the destination) and I got a gazillion file conflict warnings when I gave up on that. All of my photo folders have duplication turned on and I was trying from the shares folder on the WHS desktop to a USB drive in Windows explorer. All of my photo folders except this one are also on an offsite backup but this one is really critical to recover since it is not.
    This is a rebuilt Dell 4700 with two new WD 500 gig hard drives and a RAM upgrade.
    I thought that I was supposed to be able to recover files if one drive was acting flaky with duplication turned one but it does not appear to be the case.
    Is it safe to run WD Diag on the drives to see if there is actually a problem or if WHS is having a fit?
    How can I get my latest photos off for safe keeping?
    PGordini
    Friday, September 19, 2008 4:43 PM
  • PGordini said:

The only thing that worked was to hold the power button and force a shutdown. After reboot I got a network critical warning telling me that the backups were not running and that there were file conflicts  on my public shares.

Next was the file conflicts on the public share WHS recommended an option and I took it ( I believe it was CHKDISK) the public folder does not have duplication turned on and WHS was not able to resolve the issue.  (received an unexpected error)

Decided that I better copy off the latest Photo Shoot (about ten days worth of nature photography +6gigs worth of photos) and all I was able to get was the folder they were in, after that WHS said the device ws not connected (the source not the destination) and I got a gazillion file conflict warnings when I gave up on that. All of my photo folders have duplication turned on and I was trying from the shares folder on the WHS desktop to a USB drive in Windows explorer. All of my photo folders except this one are also on an offsite backup but this one is really critical to recover since it is not.

This is a rebuilt Dell 4700 with two new WD 500 gig hard drives and a RAM upgrade.

I thought that I was supposed to be able to recover files if one drive was acting flaky with duplication turned one but it does not appear to be the case.

Is it safe to run WD Diag on the drives to see if there is actually a problem or if WHS is having a fit?
    How can I get my latest photos off for safe keeping?

PGordini

It sounds like you have a failing drive. When you ran chkdsk, did you run it with the repair flag [r]?

It would probably be best if you submitted a bug following the instructions above so that I can review the event logs and other files that are collected in the CAB.

Thank you

Friday, September 19, 2008 6:20 PM
  • I just used the WHS Toolkit to "Error Reporting" tool. How will I know the results of my errors as they were reports the the WHS team? I continue to receive Conflicts; all of my drives now report back healthy - I have had two drive failures since installing WHS which was approximately 150 days ago - first the evaluation then the OEM. I was able to use R-Studio to recover data on the most recent drive failure; I recovered the data to another HD, confirmed the data was good, mostly by accessing the files. Then when I copy the files back to WHS I begin receiving errors again. Even on new files I copy out to the server??? Example - I had a small video clip of my daughter that was on another drive - after I reinstalled WHS to the OEM version and installed the new HD and confirmed all drives were healthy, which they still are; I copied this particular file out to my server. Now when I attempt to access this file I receive the following "The device is not connected" - when I look in WHS console I see the following (for the file in question only) "The system cannot find the drive specified; yet I am able to access multiple other files in the same "Videos" share. I also have CRC errors that I am assuming are related to the HD failure, but at this point how do I repair or even delete these files???
    Friday, October 17, 2008 11:44 PM
  • pwhart said:

I just used the WHS Toolkit to "Error Reporting" tool. How will I know the results of my errors as they were reports the the WHS team? I continue to receive Conflicts; all of my drives now report back healthy - I have had two drive failures since installing WHS which was approximately 150 days ago - first the evaluation then the OEM. I was able to use R-Studio to recover data on the most recent drive failure; I recovered the data to another HD, confirmed the data was good, mostly by accessing the files. Then when I copy the files back to WHS I begin receiving errors again. Even on new files I copy out to the server??? Example - I had a small video clip of my daughter that was on another drive - after I reinstalled WHS to the OEM version and installed the new HD and confirmed all drives were healthy, which they still are; I copied this particular file out to my server. Now when I attempt to access this file I receive the following "The device is not connected" - when I look in WHS console I see the following (for the file in question only) "The system cannot find the drive specified; yet I am able to access multiple other files in the same "Videos" share. I also have CRC errors that I am assuming are related to the HD failure, but at this point how do I repair or even delete these files???

Did you create a bug report on Connect?  If so, did you include the CAB number in the report?  Doing both of those should be enough for MS to track your problem.

Once you've done both of those, first thing I would suggest is to run chkdsk /r on each drive.
    Saturday, October 18, 2008 4:31 PM
  • I've been away from this forum for a spell.   I filed a bug report within the first week of PP1 release.  I think I was the first or second to do so....and IC many others have since. 

What has MS done about this whole file conflict deal? I hate to sound negative, but I get them every week and I've yet to see anything done about it with an update.

Thanks... 
    Sunday, October 19, 2008 10:43 PM
  • judgeschambers said:

I've been away from this forum for a spell.   I filed a bug report within the first week of PP1 release.  I think I was the first or second to do so....and IC many others have since. 

What has MS done about this whole file conflict deal? I hate to sound negative, but I get them every week and I've yet to see anything done about it with an update.

Thanks... 

After 6 months of running WHS, I just got my first file conflict. That file wasn't open anywhere, and it never has been. I can do without it, so I just deleted it. Rather disconcerting, however. What's being done about this?
    Please don't ask me to file a bug report; I don't have time, and surely Microsoft has enough bug reports by now.
    Tuesday, October 21, 2008 9:35 AM
  • I am getting file conflict errors all the time.  They seem to go away after a reboot of the server but then the same, or another, conflict error will reappera.  These generally seem to happen in my Photos share and often happen with a thumbs.db file.  Does MS really need more of these?
    Tuesday, October 28, 2008 5:49 PM
  • wayner9 said:

I am getting file conflict errors all the time.  They seem to go away after a reboot of the server but then the same, or another, conflict error will reappera.  These generally seem to happen in my Photos share and often happen with a thumbs.db file.  Does MS really need more of these?

If you have not yet filed a bug report, then you should do so. Microsoft wants as many examples of this error as possible. Many of them are certainly due to hardware, driver, or software issues, but in order for Microsoft to find and correct any that aren't, they need examples.

Tuesday, October 28, 2008 8:05 PM
  • Lara - I'm teh latest victim of PP1. The last few days I had "file conflicts" in the Software folder, didn't care about those files anymore but I can't delete them. Tried everything, my WHS will NOT delete these files. That's problem #1. Then this AM, I find out my backups were corrupted. I use the tool to fix this (it warned me I might lose data, but didnt offer any other alternatives!!) and sure enough, I lost ALL backups on one of my PC's

In your post dated August 19, you tell us to file error reports, but the link you supply (https://connect.microsoft.com/WindowsHomeServer/) doesn't offer that option. I've done everything you suggested and I've hit a dead end.

My question to you is:

Where, exactly, do I send these screen shots and CAB's?

Thank you

Carl

Sunday, November 2, 2008 3:19 PM
  • ITgeek411 said:

Lara - I'm teh latest victim of PP1. The last few days I had "file conflicts" in the Software folder, didn't care about those files anymore but I can't delete them. Tried everything, my WHS will NOT delete these files. That's problem #1. Then this AM, I find out my backups were corrupted. I use the tool to fix this (it warned me I might lose data, but didnt offer any other alternatives!!) and sure enough, I lost ALL backups on one of my PC's

In your post dated August 19, you tell us to file error reports, but the link you supply (https://connect.microsoft.com/WindowsHomeServer/) doesn't offer that option. I've done everything you suggested and I've hit a dead end.

My question to you is:

Where, exactly, do I send these screen shots and CAB's?

Thank you

Carl

Actually, the link to file a bug report is https://connect.microsoft.com/WindowsHomeServer/feedback.
    Sunday, November 2, 2008 3:47 PM
  • OK, either way, when I follow the link Lara posted or the one you posted, it takes me to the same page.....

where it says "join the Windows Home Server Connect program, so that you can.... submit bug reports..."

And when I click on that link, it brings me to a page that says the application dates for participation in this program has expired. The program start date (and end date) was 6/13/2007

So again, I'm asking......Where do I submit bug reports?

Lara was insistent on submitting them, but she didn't offer a direct link to a site where we can do that.

Thanks for any help I can get,

Carl
    Sunday, November 2, 2008 11:25 PM
  • ITgeek411 said:

OK, either way, when I follow the link Lara posted or the one you posted, it takes me to the same page.....

where it says "join the Windows Home Server Connect program, so that you can.... submit bug reports..."

And when I click on that link, it brings me to a page that says the application dates for participation in this program has expired. The program start date (and end date) was 6/13/2007

So again, I'm asking......Where do I submit bug reports?

Lara was insistent on submitting them, but she didn't offer a direct link to a site where we can do that.

Thanks for any help I can get,

Carl

The beta ended but the program is still available for items like the file conflict reports. You should be able to join and submit reports.  If you do not see a link to join, please let me know.

We generally do not deeplink as you will not be able to submit a report until you join the program. i.e. that's why I did not link directly to the feedback section.  People who are not registered will get an error.

Go ahead and join the program. Once you've done that, follow the feedback link and submit a report.

Thank you
    Sunday, November 2, 2008 11:31 PM
  • judgeschambers said:

I've been away from this forum for a spell.   I filed a bug report within the first week of PP1 release.  I think I was the first or second to do so....and IC many others have since. 

Thanks... 

So it seems since my quoted post above on 10/19/08 that there has been no insight or resolution.  I already posted a bug report a week after the beta and subsequent public release.  It's not a big deal to me, those files I just delete if needed. Though it does cause you to lose those files, which could be a bad thing for some....

I'll check back in a few months to see what's become of this.  Thanks.

Thursday, November 6, 2008 12:41 AM
  • judgeschambers said:

judgeschambers said:

Thanks... 

So it seems since my quoted post above on 10/19/08 that there has been no insight or resolution.  I already posted a bug report a week after the beta and subsequent public release.  It's not a big deal to me, those files I just delete if needed. Though it does cause you to lose those files, which could be a bad thing for some....

I'll check back in a few months to see what's become of this.  Thanks.

Hello,

If you filed a bug report, we should have followed up via Connect as we have done with all of these reports. If we did not contact you and/or touch base with you, please let me know the bug ID and I will pull the bug and follow up via Connect or email.

I apologize for any confusion but we cannot follow up with bug reports via the forum as they are simply not efficient for this purpose.

Thank you
    Thursday, November 6, 2008 3:01 AM
  • Hello Lara,

I was not really asking for follow up with my specific bug report.  Since mine was #1 or #2 to be filed, I got a pretty canned answer with a quick blame of my AV, but I felt it may,,,,,may be true.  Then I started to see many, many others with the same problem since PP1 release that did not have the same scenarios as mine, so that warranted some other internal/external issue with WHS and PP1.

Also, I've turned my AV off for certain folders and file types and I still get them every 48 hrs or so.  Seems that as soon as Demigrator does it's magic on certain files the conflicts arise.... Same thing happens with other users with no AV. So, there is more to this than a rouge AV.  Not trying to be negative or blow it out of proportion. ;-)

I was simply stopping by to see what has become of the "File Conflict" errors.  What's been determined to be the root cause(s)? Are there any user solutions? Has MS WHS Team drawn any conclusions?  That sort of thing.

My Bug Report ID: 351642

Saturday, November 8, 2008 1:18 AM
  • All,

I am not going to be too helpful here ... I just wanted to state that either I am really unlucky to lose two system drives in six weeks ... or I am also experiencing a significant number of file conflicts on the associated data part of the hard disk... which are generally killing my machine.  The system was running great after I rebuilt it ... and then it started failing a few days ago. As reported elsewhere my machine also slows down significantly - I guess when it is trying to resolve the file conflicts. I have not run any antivirus software on the machine - so that is not my problem. I have run the Ultimate boot CD 4 windows and churned thru diagnostics ... and it looks like a bad disk ... but I am having trouble believing that two disk (different types, different sizes, different makes) will fail this way.

I could not work out a way to post a bug thru connect.

As I said ... not to helpful ... just an information point.

Saturday, November 8, 2008 10:14 PM
  • Aussie_1 said:

All,

I am not going to be too helpful here ... I just wanted to state that either I am really unlucky to lose two system drives in six weeks ... or I am also experiencing a significant number of file conflicts on the associated data part of the hard disk... which are generally killing my machine.  The system was running great after I rebuilt it ... and then it started failing a few days ago. As reported elsewhere my machine also slows down significantly - I guess when it is trying to resolve the file conflicts. I have not run any antivirus software on the machine - so that is not my problem. I have run the Ultimate boot CD 4 windows and churned thru diagnostics ... and it looks like a bad disk ... but I am having trouble believing that two disk (different types, different sizes, different makes) will fail this way.

I could not work out a way to post a bug thru connect.

As I said ... not to helpful ... just an information point.

Did you follow Lara's post at the beginning of this thread?  What part are you having a problem with?
    Sunday, November 9, 2008 5:19 AM
  • judgeschambers said:

Hello Lara,

I was not really asking for follow up with my specific bug report.  Since mine was #1 or #2 to be filed, I got a pretty canned answer with a quick blame of my AV, but I felt it may,,,,,may be true.  Then I started to see many, many others with the same problem since PP1 release that did not have the same scenarios as mine, so that warranted some other internal/external issue with WHS and PP1.

Also, I've turned my AV off for certain folders and file types and I still get them every 48 hrs or so.  Seems that as soon as Demigrator does it's magic on certain files the conflicts arise.... Same thing happens with other users with no AV. So, there is more to this than a rouge AV.  Not trying to be negative or blow it out of proportion. ;-)

I was simply stopping by to see what has become of the "File Conflict" errors.  What's been determined to be the root cause(s)? Are there any user solutions? Has MS WHS Team drawn any conclusions?  That sort of thing.

My Bug Report ID: 351642

Hi Paul,

In most cases, the event logs point to bad hardware or at least that's what I've seen.  In the case of hardware, we ask the user to run chkdsk /r or in some cases, the steps are slightly more complicated because of the way Windows Home Server handles storage.  There's no code fix to push as it's hardware.  

In a few cases, we come across an application keeping a file open or improperly quaranting the file (AV) and in others it's the result of older beta binaries on the system that need to be cleaned up. There are a few other edge cases but the stats don't justify mentioning them.

We are continuing to review bugs but in almost all cases (I can't say all because that is asking for trouble) these are support issues for hardware or appcompat (AV).

Thank you
    Sunday, November 9, 2008 7:19 AM
  • kariya21 said:

Aussie_1 said:

All,

I am not going to be too helpful here ... I just wanted to state that either I am really unlucky to lose two system drives in six weeks ... or I am also experiencing a significant number of file conflicts on the associated data part of the hard disk... which are generally killing my machine.  ...

Did you follow Lara's post at the beginning of this thread?  What part are you having a problem with?

Thanks for the response ... I thought that I did ... but I'm not sure that I am able to see straight after losing two system drives in six weeks. :-(

I am also thinking that it is still a hardware problem. As the first drive was a Western Digital 500GB and the second an Samsung 750GB (hence the likelihood of the same type failure is really low), my concern now is that the Motherboard may be "killing" the drives (not sure how ... but it is a common point of failure).  I ran chkdsk \f \r on the drive numerous times. It showed errors and corrected them. But shortly after WHS came back up the errors started coming back. I also booted from UBCD4Win and ran chkdsk many times. It also indicated that the disk had errors and was repaired but again WHS errors started showing up within an hour.

So I posted here just in case someone had new news that could save me from a computer and WHS rebuild. I am almost resigned to a rebuild.
    Sunday, November 9, 2008 4:18 PM
  • Lara Jones said:

Hi Paul,

In most cases, the event logs point to bad hardware or at least that's what I've seen.  In the case of hardware, we ask the user to run chkdsk /r or in some cases, the steps are slightly more complicated because of the way Windows Home Server handles storage.  There's no code fix to push as it's hardware.  

In a few cases, we come across an application keeping a file open or improperly quaranting the file (AV) and in others it's the result of older beta binaries on the system that need to be cleaned up. There are a few other edge cases but the stats don't justify mentioning them.

We are continuing to review bugs but in almost all cases (I can't say all because that is asking for trouble) these are support issues for hardware or appcompat (AV).

Thank you

Hi Lara,

Well, the scenario with my setup is two brand new WD drives with an OEM WHS install and my AV. No issues for several months.  Then withing days of PP1 install, I start to get the file conflict errors.  Then others start getting them too..with and w/o an AV installed.  Pretty odd coincidence.

The file conflicts occurr just after demigrator works out.  I got some new file conflicts today for file types I asked AVG not to scan.  Files that are being scanned by the AV are not the ones being moved. So...

If I had to make a guess as to the cause with no other hardware issues, I'd have to say the cause is PP1.  Now, to prove/disproove this... I can uninstall my AV and then if it still occurrs then uninstall PP1.  One of them is the cause.  But since all these file conficts started poping up within days of PP1...I'm putting my money on it   ;-)

I'm uninstalling my AVG 7.5 Nework Edition now.  I'll run a chk disc too. I'll see what happens ;-) Stay tuned....

Oh, thanks for the update on what the WHS Team is looking at with regard to the file conflicts. I'm sure the team knows what they're talking about (much better than me for sure), but I have my doubts on the root cause of this error on my machine....

Monday, November 10, 2008 5:01 AM
  • judgeschambers said:

Hi Lara,

Well, the scenario with my setup is two brand new WD drives with an OEM WHS install and my AV. No issues for several months.  Then withing days of PP1 install, I start to get the file conflict errors.  Then others start getting them too..with and w/o an AV installed.  Pretty odd coincidence.

The file conflicts occurr just after demigrator works out.  I got some new file conflicts today for file types I asked AVG not to scan.  Files that are being scanned by the AV are not the ones being moved. So...

If I had to make a guess as to the cause with no other hardware issues, I'd have to say the cause is PP1.  Now, to prove/disproove this... I can uninstall my AV and then if it still occurrs then uninstall PP1.  One of them is the cause.  But since all these file conficts started poping up within days of PP1...I'm putting my money on it   ;-)

I'm uninstalling my AVG 7.5 Nework Edition now.  I'll run a chk disc too. I'll see what happens ;-) Stay tuned....

Oh, thanks for the update on what the WHS Team is looking at with regard to the file conflicts. I'm sure the team knows what they're talking about (much better than me for sure), but I have my doubts on the root cause of this error on my machine....

Hi Paul

The increase in file conflict notifications is due to the more active health monitoring in PP1:

Windows Home Server proactively checks the health of all files stored in shared folders during a migration pass. If any issues are discovered, a yellow health notification is sent that contains a detailed conflict reason for each file.

You can read about it in the release notes for PP1. Uninstalling PP1 would make these go away because you're reverting to the older health monitoring code.

Thanks.

Monday, November 10, 2008 5:26 PM
  • Lara Jones said:

Hi Paul

The increase in file conflict notifications is due to the more active health monitoring in PP1:

Windows Home Server proactively checks the health of all files stored in shared folders during a migration pass. If any issues are discovered, a yellow health notification is sent that contains a detailed conflict reason for each file.

You can read about it in the release notes for PP1. Uninstalling PP1 would make these go away because you're reverting to the older health monitoring code.

Thanks.

Hi Lara,

Yeah, I've read the release notes. T.Headrick suggested I read it some time back.  But, the question is, "Is this new monitoring a good thing or does it need tweaked?"  If all the users out there have good hard drives, not running an AV, but still get the conflict errors...... Does it not warrant some sort of investigation?

I'm not trying to be a pain or cause a fit or hype it.....  (unlike like the insane, anti MS hype of the corruption bug early on. Lord knows Ken and I spent many a day battling peeps on the mis-information around that. That's what eventually turned me off about this forum.)  But it would seem there is something about the new health monitoring of PP1 that may warrant attention...... That's all.

Anyway, I wont press it any longer...LOL>  I've uninstalled my AV and I'll wait a few days to see if there are any changes in WHS' behavior. I'll post an update with the outcome.

Thanks again for the feedback. 

Tuesday, November 11, 2008 3:22 AM
  • judgeschambers said:
    Yeah, I've read the release notes. T.Headrick suggested I read it some time back.  But, the question is, "Is this new monitoring a good thing or does it need tweaked?"  If all the users out there have good hard drives, not running an AV, but still get the conflict errors...... Does it not warrant some sort of investigation?

Paul, the new monitoring is a good thing, because it reveals a real issue. A "file conflict" indicates that something is not right in the storage pool. In most cases, it seems it indicates potential data loss issues. So yes, I think it's good that these warnings are displayed.

The problem with the file conflict warnings is that, while Microsoft continues to say that they are cause almost entirely by hardware, driver, and app compatibility issues, nobody ever really wants to believe that, and if they do believe it, they think it's Microsoft's responsibility to fix it. There's a natural tendency to say "Oh, Microsoft should just fix Windows Home Server to work in that situation", however that's what led us to a Windows codebase of 50M+ lines. (I understand there was a team of folks that followed execs around during Windows 98 beta days and noted appcompat issues. Then they got fixed for the next available build. Madness... Sometimes I think that Windows isn't just full of shims for this and that, it's entirely shims with a thin layer of new code over the top...)

Tuesday, November 11, 2008 3:41 AM
  • A quick perusal of the forums at Wegotserved tends to indicate that many people are now seeing these file conflict problems.  My server just started throwing them too, on the thumbs.db in various photo folders.

I would argue the opposite, that MS contributors tend to be too quick to blame hardware, drivers or user error for problems that are probably in WHS itself.
    Tuesday, November 11, 2008 9:21 PM
  • Been watching this thread for quite awhile.  I've not had the best of luck with WHS.  Lost lots of data through corruption and file conflicts.  If these seem to be related to PP1, shouldn't I just uninstall it?  I've tried other software (FreeNAS, etc) and never had these problems, just didn't really like their software.  I guess it just bugs me that the free stuff works, and the stuff I pay for doesn't. :(
    Thursday, November 13, 2008 2:40 PM
  • bobrap said:

Been watching this thread for quite awhile.  I've not had the best of luck with WHS.  Lost lots of data through corruption and file conflicts.  If these seem to be related to PP1, shouldn't I just uninstall it?  I've tried other software (FreeNAS, etc) and never had these problems, just didn't really like their software.  I guess it just bugs me that the free stuff works, and the stuff I pay for doesn't. :(

Hi

What are the exact file conflict messages you are receiving? As I've stated, these are usually the result of hardware or appcompat issues. If you are having a problem, please see my post at the top of this thread and file a bug. I'll be more than happy to take a look at your event and chkdsk logs.

You can uninstall PP1 but it does not mean that these problems will go away. More than likely, the problems will still be there but the server will no longer alert you to them.  

I do have to tell you that we strongly advise against uninstalling/reverting to pre- PP1 especially if you have more than one drive. Please see: KB 946676

Thank you
    Friday, November 14, 2008 2:52 PM
  • Ken Warren said:

Paul, the new monitoring is a good thing, because it reveals a real issue. A "file conflict" indicates that something is not right in the storage pool. In most cases, it seems it indicates potential data loss issues. So yes, I think it's good that these warnings are displayed.

The problem with the file conflict warnings is that, while Microsoft continues to say that they are cause almost entirely by hardware, driver, and app compatibility issues, nobody ever really wants to believe that, and if they do believe it, they think it's Microsoft's responsibility to fix it. There's a natural tendency to say "Oh, Microsoft should just fix Windows Home Server to work in that situation", however that's what led us to a Windows codebase of 50M+ lines. (I understand there was a team of folks that followed execs around during Windows 98 beta days and noted appcompat issues. Then they got fixed for the next available build. Madness... Sometimes I think that Windows isn't just full of shims for this and that, it's entirely shims with a thin layer of new code over the top...)

Ken,

I see what you're saying...really...I do.  And I think the conflict warning is a good thing.  But, I find it an odd coincidence that as soon as we all install PP1, this new file monitoring system starts calling out file conflicts. I mean, my system hummed along just fine until 48 hours later.

I have new drives. The file conflicts are ALWAYS .exe files.  Never zip, mp3, pdf, doc, pst, xls or anything else. Just .exe.  The files become utterly useless and you have to delete them.  They always occurr every 48 hours after a reboot. And lastly, the conflicts were not an issue unitl PP1 was installed.

So, I'm not saying that the monitoring is a bad thing. Maybe a bit over sensitive? I mean, are 15% of WHS users running along with minorly corrupted hard drives and poor drivers and don't know it? Now that the file conflict monitoring is in place...we just happen to know about them?  If it did not flag the file it would still work....  You add all these coincidences up and it just does not make sense to say it's based on hardware or drivers.....when there was not a problem before and the files did not become useless and have to be deleted. I may have to put a drive on the system outside the pool just so I don't loose any more program files.

Ahh, I'm not a programmer or a log file expert. But when you look at the order of operations and the timing...it just does not make sense.  Ken, I'm sure you remember that I'm a huge fan of WHS and I'm not one of those Anti MS types.

After I uninstalled the AV, I got another conflict for the same exact exe file. I had to delet it and reboot to clear the warning. I'm letting WHS hum along to see if I get another one. If I do...I'll submit another bug report.  After that, I'm not going to worry about it and will just get a network drive to put .exe files on. I can't keep loosing those files....

Thanks for the input.

Sunday, November 16, 2008 5:02 AM
  • judgeschambers said:

Ken,

I see what you're saying...really...I do.  And I think the conflict warning is a good thing.  But, I find it an odd coincidence that as soon as we all install PP1, this new file monitoring system starts calling out file conflicts. I mean, my system hummed along just fine until 48 hours later.

First, it's not happening to everyone, only a small percentage of WHS users (I have never gotten a single file conflict issue on my live server, and only got it on my VM server because I forced to show up by doing something I knew would cause a problem. :)  )

I have new drives. The file conflicts are ALWAYS .exe files.  Never zip, mp3, pdf, doc, pst, xls or anything else. Just .exe.  The files become utterly useless and you have to delete them.  They always occurr every 48 hours after a reboot. And lastly, the conflicts were not an issue unitl PP1 was installed.

Is it all exe files are just certain ones?  If only certain ones, what are the names of the exe files?  When you say the become utterly useless, do you mean that if you try to run that exe from the network share, you get an error?  If so, what exactly is the error message?

judgeschambers said:

So, I'm not saying that the monitoring is a bad thing. Maybe a bit over sensitive? I mean, are 15% of WHS users running along with minorly corrupted hard drives and poor drivers and don't know it? Now that the file conflict monitoring is in place...we just happen to know about them?  If it did not flag the file it would still work....

I find that hard to believe.  But if you're daring enough (read as: willing to roll-back to a state where data corruption exists), that's easy to prove: simply uninstall Power Pack 1, then try running the exact same exe file from the network share and see if it works.

judgeschambers said:

You add all these coincidences up and it just does not make sense to say it's based on hardware or drivers.....when there was not a problem before and the files did not become useless and have to be deleted. I may have to put a drive on the system outside the pool just so I don't loose any more program files.

Ahh, I'm not a programmer or a log file expert. But when you look at the order of operations and the timing...it just does not make sense.  Ken, I'm sure you remember that I'm a huge fan of WHS and I'm not one of those Anti MS types.

After I uninstalled the AV, I got another conflict for the same exact exe file. I had to delet it and reboot to clear the warning. I'm letting WHS hum along to see if I get another one. If I do...I'll submit another bug report.  After that, I'm not going to worry about it and will just get a network drive to put .exe files on. I can't keep loosing those files....

Thanks for the input.

Sunday, November 16, 2008 2:54 PM
  • I'm getting regular File Conflicts warnings saying 'File is open' on media files (FLAC) on a new WHS system, when the files are not open, they haven't been accessed by any external program and have only been accessed by the media server software during a library scan - well before these error messages started.

The bug report instructions are just jargon to me - I have no idea what they mean.

How do I clear these incorrect error messages and stop them happening again?

Tuesday, November 25, 2008 7:26 PM
  • dlorde said:

I'm getting regular File Conflicts warnings saying 'File is open' on media files (FLAC) on a new WHS system, when the files are not open, they haven't been accessed by any external program and have only been accessed by the media server software during a library scan - well before these error messages started.

The bug report instructions are just jargon to me - I have no idea what they mean.

How do I clear these incorrect error messages and stop them happening again?

Hi,

The application that has the files open needs to be closed. If the application has been closed, then for some reason, the file has not been released/unlocked and DE cannot duplicate the files and this is why you are receiving warnings.  It is a warning that these files cannot be duplicated.

The best way to determine what is happening is to review the CABs or diagnostic logs and this is why we request a bug report. It is a way to help you resolve the conflict.

The forums are not efficient for this process as I cannot review your event logs, chkdsk logs or DE logs.  Please try to register at http://connect.microsoft.com and file a bug report in the Windows Home Server program.

Thank you

Tuesday, November 25, 2008 9:44 PM
  • Thanks for the response. 

I don't really follow your explanation - what is DE? 
    How do I release/unlock the files so they can be duplicated?

What are CABs and where can I find diagnostic logs?

Apologies for all the questions, but I'm not a home server expert.
    Tuesday, November 25, 2008 10:18 PM
  • dlorde said:

Thanks for the response. 

I don't really follow your explanation - what is DE? 
    How do I release/unlock the files so they can be duplicated?

What are CABs and where can I find diagnostic logs?

Apologies for all the questions, but I'm not a home server expert.

Hi ,

DE is drive extender. You can find all the technical briefs for Windows Home Server here
    . These might be helpful for some of the terminology you'll see mentioned in the forums. After typing out words over and over again, some of us start to abbreviate.
    If shutting down the application has not released the file, then you will usually have to reboot the machine or the clients if the clients are sharing out files through an app. Since I do not have your logs, I am only guessing as to the cause. I cannot be sure without looking at the logs.

CABs are a package of logs created when the
    toolkit collects the event logs and diagnostic logs on both the server and the client. These logs are in what we refer to as the %QLOGS% directory. For example:

XP machine:
    %SystemDrive%\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Microsoft\Windows Home Server\logs

Vista machine:

%SystemDrive%\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows Home Server\logs

Server logs:         
    %SystemDrive%\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Microsoft\Windows Home Server\logs

The easiest way to submit these is by using the toolkit which will gather the logs and provide you with a CAB number. You give us this CAB number in the bug and we pull the CABs from our server.

Thanks!

Tuesday, November 25, 2008 10:45 PM
  • OK, thanks for the tutorial! I'll see what I can do.

Tuesday, November 25, 2008 11:58 PM
  • Lara,
    I am sorry to bother you but I keep running into brick walls trying to report my file conflict problem on MS Connect.  I have an earlier verions of the toolkit installed, probably from my days as one of the 100,000 or so "original" a beta tester for WHS.  The latest version of the toolkit will not install because an earlier version is there.  I am trying to uninstall the Toolkit that is apparently still on my machine, but I cannot find it to uninstall it.  All I can see is the TalQ.exe program, which is, I think, part of the old toolkit.  Add or Remove Programs does not show the toolkit in the list as far as I can tell.  Can you suggest how I remove the old toolkit so I can install Version 1.1 and report my file conflict problem on Connect?

For information, I am getting "The system cannot find the drive specified" file conflict errors from the WHS console.  Here is a link that provides more info on the problem:

http://www.mediasmartserver.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2796

I am SeaRay33 on the forum referenced above and also on the MS Connect Forum.  I sure would like to report the bug so you can get the information the team needs to fix this issue.

Any help in getting the toolkit to install or more directly to fix the file conflict problem is appreciated.

George in Florida
    Monday, December 1, 2008 5:11 PM
  • SeaRay33 said:

Lara,
    I am sorry to bother you but I keep running into brick walls trying to report my file conflict problem on MS Connect.  I have an earlier verions of the toolkit installed, probably from my days as one of the 100,000 or so "original" a beta tester for WHS.  The latest version of the toolkit will not install because an earlier version is there.  I am trying to uninstall the Toolkit that is apparently still on my machine, but I cannot find it to uninstall it.  All I can see is the TalQ.exe program, which is, I think, part of the old toolkit.  Add or Remove Programs does not show the toolkit in the list as far as I can tell.  Can you suggest how I remove the old toolkit so I can install Version 1.1 and report my file conflict problem on Connect?

For information, I am getting "The system cannot find the drive specified" file conflict errors from the WHS console.  Here is a link that provides more info on the problem:

I am SeaRay33 on the forum referenced above and also on the MS Connect Forum.  I sure would like to report the bug so you can get the information the team needs to fix this issue.

Any help in getting the toolkit to install or more directly to fix the file conflict problem is appreciated.

George in Florida

Hi SeaRay,

Have you removed the toolkit from the Software\Add-ins folder? Also, does the server list it as an add-in in the console? 

If you are still having trouble, let me know and I'll ask the developer.

Thanks 

Monday, December 1, 2008 5:31 PM
  • Lara Jones said:

Have you removed the toolkit from the Software\Add-ins folder? Also, does the server list it as an add-in in the console? 

Thanks 

Thanks for the prompt reply Lara.  I did find the toolkit MSI file in the Software/Add-ins folder.  The console does not report the toolkit either in "Installed" or "Available" list.  I removed the MSI file from the Add-ins folder on the server.  Same error message as follows:

http://cdn-1-service.phanfare.com/images/external/3450234_1669061_54297853_WebSmall_3/0_0_a66a2a5c464d34f75bcc21350c748ffd_1

George in Florida
    Monday, December 1, 2008 5:50 PM
  • SeaRay33 said:

Lara Jones said:

Thanks 

Thanks for the prompt reply Lara.  I did find the toolkit MSI file in the Software/Add-ins folder.  The console does not report the toolkit either in "Installed" or "Available" list.  I removed the MSI file from the Add-ins folder on the server.  Same error message as follows:

http://cdn-1-service.phanfare.com/images/external/3450234_1669061_54297853_WebSmall_3/0_0_a66a2a5c464d34f75bcc21350c748ffd_1

George in Florida

Hi,

I've asked the developer who owns the toolkit about this. Once I know how he wants to proceed, I'll let you know.

Thanks!

Monday, December 1, 2008 7:05 PM
  • SeaRay33 said:

Lara Jones said:

Thanks 

George in Florida

Actually, looking at this error, is this a client machine or the server?  The toolkit should be installed on the client and published to the server.

Thanks!

Monday, December 1, 2008 8:01 PM
  • The error message is from the client (XP Pro... or rather MCE). I am trying to install the toolkit on the client.  I did not think having a copy of the toolkit MSI file in the software add-in on the server would matter, but wanted to delete the old msi anyway.  Running Add/Remove programs on the client does not show the toolkit is installed.  Sorry I am not much help.
    George

Update:  A light just came on but I am replying quickly and have not had time to think.  Should I be trying to installl WHStoolkit.msi as an add-in on the server and then running it from the console? I don't think so. the toolkit is supposeded to be installed on the client, right?  I am not sure I am understanding what you mean by "published to the server".  When I install and run the toolkit on the client it will access the CABS, etc. on the server, right?
    George in Florida
    Monday, December 1, 2008 8:10 PM
  • SeaRay33 said:

The error message is from the client (XP Pro... or rather MCE). I am trying to install the toolkit on the client.  I did not think having a copy of the toolkit MSI file in the software add-in on the server would matter, but wanted to delete the old msi anyway.  Running Add/Remove programs on the client does not show the toolkit is installed.  Sorry I am not much help.
    George

Update:  A light just came on but I am replying quickly and have not had time to think.  Should I be trying to installl WHStoolkit.msi as an add-in on the server and then running it from the console? I don't think so. the toolkit is supposeded to be installed on the client, right?  I am not sure I am understanding what you mean by "published to the server".  When I install and run the toolkit on the client it will access the CABS, etc. on the server, right?

George in Florida

Hi George.

This needs to be installed on the client and then published to the server. Once you have this on the client, there is an option in the start menu to "publish to the server." It will place the toolkit in the add-ins directory and it will appear in the console as an option under the add-ins section.

Can you email whsforum@microsoft.com? I need to review some screenshots from your client and I'd rather not have you post them in the forums.

Thanks
    Monday, December 1, 2008 8:47 PM
  • Lara Jones said:
    Hi George.

This needs to be installed on the client and then published to the server. Once you have this on the client, there is an option in the start menu to "publish to the server." It will place the toolkit in the add-ins directory and it will appear in the console as an option under the add-ins section.

Can you email whsforum@microsoft.com? I need to review some screenshots from your client and I'd rather not have you post them in the forums.

Thanks

Email has been sent with screen shots, Lara. Thanks for your help.

George in Florida
    Tuesday, December 2, 2008 3:49 PM
  • judgeschambers said:

Thanks... 

Hi Judge,
    You have helped me on more than one occasion back in the "ole Beta testing days" for WHS, so I want to return the favor, at least a little.  I see that you (and I by the way) still have file conflict issues that we are not fully convinced yet are due to hardware or AV issues.  I am working with Lara on this so I may very well be proven wrong or better said, only partially right as it could also be a hardware issue too, but I am leaning towards now that there is some issue that needs to be addressed by some additional code to DE.  As I said before I may be proven wrong because MS has only preliminarily given my bug report a status of "hardware failure" in a private email from Lara, but I have asked Lara to consider some additional evidence I recently provided that it might be a issue with DE as well. 

I (and I think you too) are just trying to "do our job" of reporting as any good beta tester would do. After all, as a beta tester that is what we are SUPPOSED to do, right?

If you are interested see the following thread for the ongoing discussion:

George in Florida
    Friday, December 5, 2008 4:01 PM
  • Aussie_1 said:

kariya21 said:

Aussie_1 said:

All,

I am not going to be too helpful here ... I just wanted to state that either I am really unlucky to lose two system drives in six weeks ... or I am also experiencing a significant number of file conflicts on the associated data part of the hard disk... which are generally killing my machine.  ...

Thanks for the response ... I thought that I did ... but I'm not sure that I am able to see straight after losing two system drives in six weeks. :-(

I am also thinking that it is still a hardware problem. As the first drive was a Western Digital 500GB and the second an Samsung 750GB (hence the likelihood of the same type failure is really low), my concern now is that the Motherboard may be "killing" the drives (not sure how ... but it is a common point of failure).  I ran chkdsk \f \r on the drive numerous times. It showed errors and corrected them. But shortly after WHS came back up the errors started coming back. I also booted from UBCD4Win and ran chkdsk many times. It also indicated that the disk had errors and was repaired but again WHS errors started showing up within an hour.

So I posted here just in case someone had new news that could save me from a computer and WHS rebuild. I am almost resigned to a rebuild.

All ... just to follow up ...

I have replaced the system drive and been up and running for a few weeks now ... I checked the disk after removal and it was failing. The first system disk that failed still seems to be operational ... but I don't have much more time to debug it - especially if it is an intermittent (e.g., heat related). So I am moving on to my new problem which I will post seperately ... CCR errors on my Backup file.

Thanks for your support.
    Saturday, December 13, 2008 6:35 PM
  • I've had the File Conflict error messages since the PP1 came out. When PP1 came out, I did a complete re-install (needed a bigger system drive anyway) and then the conflicts started rolling out. A single file conflict a few times per week, always a different file. I always fetched the 'helthy' copy indicated by logs and did delete & copy back.

I of course suspected bad sectors and I ran all drives through the WD utility that scans the surface during the last fall for several times. I always also noticed that there would be less conflicts if I took out the last 1tb drive out (leaving me with 1x1tb, 2x500gb + system drive 500g). Conflicts maybe once a week.

Almost made me swap my drives to different ones, but I didn't. After scanning testing and trying to see what's the problem there was never anything wrong in the drive or data. I used my other hardware to copy a 900g+ file on and off back again, checksums never failed and the file was always identical.

The problem always hit the folders where there were A LOT of small files, it never hit any big files (like my dvd collection, 100+ dvd's painstakingly ripped from my shelf originals). The directories that always got corrupted had a directory tree with at least 10k+ files in them. The big files directory had easily 50 times more data but maybe only 500-700 files.

Now, a week a go I disabled the twonkymedia server running there. It's been of course set so that it only accesses the files through network and newer touches the actual mounted drives. Haven't had a single problem after that. Even added the extra 1tb drive back, no problems have come out.

now I guess that it's the twonky (or any other similar software) that keeps tabs on folder changes or scans them periodically (like av) that, for me, caused this problem. I might be wrong and more conflicts will pop out later but at least I've never had this long a period of good service from the server.

It's all speculation but I wanted to share.

My setup is 500G system drive, then 2x1tb 2x500gb. All western digital drives, but from different product categories. ICH9 chipset in AHCI mode (all drives), some intel dual-core. 2 gigs of ram. Gigabyte P35-DQ6 board, no add-on cards (used to have Intel PCIe 1GB enternet controller there with the previous motherboard, with this one it would cause byte-level corruption in all files copied over network -> went for integrated one).

Wednesday, January 7, 2009 3:11 PM
  • Sty, if Twonky holds files open for an extended period of time, then you will get file conflict errors because Drive Extender can't migrate (or access to determine if migration is needed) changes to the second file shadow. This will start to generate errors after 24 hours.

I have a client/server application on my server that would do this if I permitted it (it's a book/CD/video catalog tool that keeps the data in memory, but the server component holds the data file open while it's running). I simply scripted a stop and start nightly, with a two hour (4:00 AM to 6:00 AM) downtime window to let DE run at least once. It runs as a scheduled task. Perhaps something similar could be done with Twonky?

Wednesday, January 7, 2009 4:22 PM
  • No there was no open files.

Most of the file conficts were of type where the other shadow was reported Unhealthy but homeserver never was able by itself copy a healthy on top of the unhealthy one.
    Thursday, January 8, 2009 11:39 AM
  • I rebuilt my WHS box on totally new hardware, with the exception of some drives that have been reused, and once I again I have started to get the file conflicts.  These are almost always thumbs.db files in my Photos shared volume and I don't really think that I ever even have the files open - what uses thumbs.db?  I assume that since Windows generates these that they are used to make thumbnails quicker.  I don't particularly care if they don't get duplicated.
    Monday, January 12, 2009 4:13 AM
  • wayner9 said:

I rebuilt my WHS box on totally new hardware, with the exception of some drives that have been reused, and once I again I have started to get the file conflicts.  These are almost always thumbs.db files in my Photos shared volume and I don't really think that I ever even have the files open - what uses thumbs.db?  I assume that since Windows generates these that they are used to make thumbnails quicker.  I don't particularly care if they don't get duplicated.

Hi,

Do you have media sharing enabled?
    Windows Home Server Team Blog
    Connect Windows Home Server
    Windows Home Server
    Monday, January 12, 2009 6:28 PM
  • SeaRay33 said:

judgeschambers said:

Thanks... 

Hi Judge,
    You have helped me on more than one occasion back in the "ole Beta testing days" for WHS, so I want to return the favor, at least a little.  I see that you (and I by the way) still have file conflict issues that we are not fully convinced yet are due to hardware or AV issues.  I am working with Lara on this so I may very well be proven wrong or better said, only partially right as it could also be a hardware issue too, but I am leaning towards now that there is some issue that needs to be addressed by some additional code to DE.  As I said before I may be proven wrong because MS has only preliminarily given my bug report a status of "hardware failure" in a private email from Lara, but I have asked Lara to consider some additional evidence I recently provided that it might be a issue with DE as well. 

I (and I think you too) are just trying to "do our job" of reporting as any good beta tester would do. After all, as a beta tester that is what we are SUPPOSED to do, right?

If you are interested see the following thread for the ongoing discussion:

George in Florida

Hey SeaRay33,

Sorry for the late replay. I don't follow this forum much anymore and bop in once a month or so to check out new updates and such. Thanks for the support there buddy, I tried to do my best to help anyone when I could ;-) Glad I could be of service to you in the Old Beta Days ;-)

SeaRay, I see you have had your share with this conflict issue.  I tried to follow your link, but your server is down for maintenance.

My File Conflict Update:
    I will say this, I learned that my entire file conflict issue was my AV. Once I uninstalled it, the file conflicts went totally away.  So, I was wrong. But, and this is a big one for me still, there was not an issue with my WHS or the AV being used until PP1 came along.

I know, I know, Ken and T. Headrick and Lara explained some things to me with the new DE stuff and I read the KB articles on the PP1 updates. (I really don't need an AV on WHS anyway when the clients have them already)  I guess progress in one area will sometimes have a negative affect elsewhere. LOL. But that's cool, because WHS is a great product and I love it, promote it, and sell it whenever possible.

Thanks, SeaRay33 for the support and remembering! And Ken, T. Headrick, and Lara for your help on this topic. For me this bug is solved.

Tuesday, January 20, 2009 3:08 AM
  • judgeschambers said:

Hey SeaRay33,

Sorry for the late replay. I don't follow this forum much anymore and bop in once a month or so to check out new updates and such. Thanks for the support there buddy, I tried to do my best to help anyone when I could ;-) Glad I could be of service to you in the Old Beta Days ;-)

SeaRay, I see you have had your share with this conflict issue.  I tried to follow your link, but your server is down for maintenance.

My File Conflict Update:
    I will say this, I learned that my entire file conflict issue was my AV. Once I uninstalled it, the file conflicts went totally away.  So, I was wrong. But, and this is a big one for me still, there was not an issue with my WHS or the AV being used until PP1 came along.

I know, I know, Ken and T. Headrick and Lara explained some things to me with the new DE stuff and I read the KB articles on the PP1 updates. (I really don't need an AV on WHS anyway when the clients have them already)  I guess progress in one area will sometimes have a negative affect elsewhere. LOL. But that's cool, because WHS is a great product and I love it, promote it, and sell it whenever possible.

Thanks, SeaRay33 for the support and remembering! And Ken, T. Headrick, and Lara for your help on this topic. For me this bug is solved.

Hi Judge,

Likewise… sorry for the delay.  I don’t check here often either.  Just noticed your reply today. I wish I could get notices of updates to this and other threads on these MS forums sent to some other email address than my hotmail address… that would help.  I don't even see a notice in my hotmail address so I wonder how I could be notified when threads are updated. :-)

Anyway, glad you got your file conflict issues addressed.  I still have mine and will probably do a Server Re-inistall to fix them… yep, I said install not Recovery.  Its has been pretty bad.  I think I  have “most” share folder files backup up elsewhere but it will take a long time to get the 3TB’s back on the server I am afraid.

BTW, don’t bother to go look to fix the problem because I have give up on fixing the file conflicts, but you can see if you like what was going on because the link given where I describe the problems is on the MeidaSmart.net forum, not on my server.  I guess that forum was down for maintenance when you checked.

I still feel there is some changes that needs to be done to DE as well and I am sure MS will be working on those but I have to admit that it looks like a 5 bay eSATA tower (i.e. hardware) has a lot to do with the file conflicts so I admit Lara is right about it being at least partly due to hardware.  It has been a mess and I may just abandon the eSATA tower altogether and get a USB tower instead.

Again, glad your file conflict issues are behind you.  All I can say is I am looking forward to the USB backplane tower working better that the eSATA one I picked and in view of HP’s decision to drop support for the port-multiplieron the eSATA connector on the back of the new MediaSmart Servers it will probably save me some time over the long run to go to USB instead of eSATA anyway.  I must also say I am looking forward to the next Power Pack from MS and any file conflict resolution improvements (if they have any) that might be forthcoming as well.

Hope you get this update and thanks for your reply. 

George in Florida
    • Edited by SeaRay33 Saturday, January 31, 2009 12:52 AM corrected a reference to a link given.
    Friday, January 30, 2009 10:44 PM
  • Sty,
    I was having a lot of file conflicts like you.  I have a couple of TBs of movies under a custom folder (not under Videos) manually copied and I have a bunch of photos under the Photos folder which were added by the Media Collector.  Once the photos were added, I disabled the Media Collector.  I have not had any conflicts with the movie files, only the photos.  None of my shared folders have duplication turned on.  My system backs up 3 XP clients.  I fought file conflicts for several weeks, running chkdsk /r /x many times.  The only way I could clear the conflict was to delete the file.  It was suggested that I might have a drive going south.  I have a HP EX 485 w/ four 1 TB drives in the pool.  I removed one drive at a time, but the problem kept cropping up.  I even started all over with a new install using a different drive.  The problem took a while, but eventually started reoccuring.  Finally, I found your posting and disabled Twonky Media.  It has been 2 weeks now and no file conflicts.  I still have one drive out of the pool, but if I have no drive conflicts in another week or so, I'll add that drive back and see what happens.

Interestingly, I don't use Twonky Media.  It was installed by default.  So, I don't know why Twonky would have any files open.  Nothing that I'm aware of in my network would be accessing the files via Twonky.  If I wasn't so old and lazy, I might pursue this further with HP & the Twonky folks, but I'll be satisfied if the file conflicts just cease.
    Sunday, August 9, 2009 4:34 PM
  • I've had no file conflicts since uninstalling Twonky - until now.  I added the last 1TB drive back into the pool yesterday.  This morning I had a new file conflict.  The file in question had not been accessed by anything that I'm aware of since it was copied to the server.  Interestingly, I have installed the Windows Home Server Disk Management Add-In and it shows 0% usage of this newly added drive.  Now I'm confused again.  My thought was to add the drive and if conflicts showed up, assume the drive was the problem.  However, it doesn't look like the drive has had any data written to it yet, so how could it cause a file conflict (keeping in mind I have no duplication enabled)?

I'll keep this configuration for a while to see if file conflicts continue.  If so, I'll remove the drive again and wait - again.  But, this type testing takes so long, I hope my new 5yr warranty drive does not run out of warranty before I can prove it bad.

There is one thing that has changed in my configuration other than the new drive that could relate.  I enabled HP Media Collector.  I suppose this app will periodically access files just to see if they have changed.  Could this be a contributor?
    Sunday, August 16, 2009 2:32 PM
  • I've had no file conflicts since uninstalling Twonky - until now.  I added the last 1TB drive back into the pool yesterday.  This morning I had a new file conflict.  The file in question had not been accessed by anything that I'm aware of since it was copied to the server.  Interestingly, I have installed the Windows Home Server Disk Management Add-In and it shows 0% usage of this newly added drive.  Now I'm confused again.  My thought was to add the drive and if conflicts showed up, assume the drive was the problem.  However, it doesn't look like the drive has had any data written to it yet, so how could it cause a file conflict (keeping in mind I have no duplication enabled)?

I'll keep this configuration for a while to see if file conflicts continue.  If so, I'll remove the drive again and wait - again.  But, this type testing takes so long, I hope my new 5yr warranty drive does not run out of warranty before I can prove it bad.

There is one thing that has changed in my configuration other than the new drive that could relate.  I enabled HP Media Collector.  I suppose this app will periodically access files just to see if they have changed.  Could this be a contributor?

My guess is the HP Media Collector (or some other app) scanned your files and created a hidden file (i.e. thumbs.db or something similar) on your new 1 TB hard drive, which then triggered the file conflict.  I would try removing that hard drive again, connecting to a client, and running chkdsk /r on that drive.
    Sunday, August 16, 2009 3:33 PM
  • Thanks for the reply.  I'll try that.  The file that was reported as in conflict, was a jpg photo.  Would 'thumbs.db' or something like that still possibly be the cause as you describe?  (sticky came back)
    Sunday, August 16, 2009 3:43 PM
  • Thanks for the reply.  I'll try that.  The file that was reported as in conflict, was a jpg photo.  Would 'thumbs.db' or something like that still possibly be the cause as you describe?  (sticky came back)

By itself, no.  (I have thumbs.dbs and ehthumbs.dbs on my server and don't have any file conflicts.)  But, if you are experiencing a hard drive issue (which would seem to be the case since it was working fine until you added that last drive), anything is possible.  :)  You might check the folder where that jpg is stored and see if there is a hidden file there that got created/modified since you added that last drive.
    Sunday, August 16, 2009 4:31 PM
  • My WHS installation has gone completely haywire in the last few days, and none of the suggestions on the FAQ have helped.  The situation is as follows:

I had 15 physical drives connected to my WHS server for a total of about 10TB, all part of the storage pool.  Mirrioring is enabled for all folders.  A few days ago, I started getting multiple "There are file conflicts" warnings.  Clicking the "network at risk" icon shows two errors, both containing about 20-30 files with the error "The system cannot find the drive specified".  I tried rebooting, which has cleared file conflicts in the past, but no joy. 

I then ran chkdsk on all drives, which has also worked in the past.  One drive was showing thousands of errors of varying types.  Obviously the drive was bad, so I removed it through the WHS interface as you are supposed to.

This is where it starts to get weird.  I have removed drives through the WHS interface before, and it usually takes an hour or more.  This nearly full 250gb drive was removed in about 30 sec.  It seemed odd, but WHS was telling me everything was removed successfully, so I rebooted and figured everything was fine.  Upon reboot I still had the same file conflicts.  The files are visible, but they cannot be deleted.  I've tried to delete them through the shared folders and through D:\\Shares\ location, but neither method works.

What's worse is that since this started, WHS has been intermittently slowing down.  Sometimes I can access shares as usual, other times it can take 5-10 minutes for a shared folder to open.  This happens on multiple other computers, as well as on the WHS desktop.  Videos played from a WHS folder will occasionally drop out completely.  Files copied to or from a shared folder will sometimes copy fine, sometimes fail.  I have had this server running for nearly a year, and none of these problems existed until just a couple days ago.  Nothing else has changed on the server or the rest of the network, other than the one failing HDD that I removed through the WHS interface. 

None of the files currently displaying errors are vital.  I would gladly delete them to restore full functionality to my server, but that does not seem to be possible.  Is there any utility that will allow me to remove the offending files? 

Why is WHS so prone to file conflicts in the first place?  Why bother mirroring your data at all if the system is completely unable to recover itself upon data loss?  It seems absurd to me that a few "conflicting" files should completely cripple my server, especially when there are perfectly good copies of those files somewhere on another drive.  If the system finds a file with an error, it should automatically replace it with the backup.  Failing that, there should at the very least be some sort of utility allow the deletion of those broken file links.
    Saturday, September 12, 2009 8:20 PM
  • My WHS installation has gone completely haywire in the last few days, and none of the suggestions on the FAQ have helped.  The situation is as follows:

I had 15 physical drives connected to my WHS server for a total of about 10TB, all part of the storage pool.  Mirrioring is enabled for all folders.  A few days ago, I started getting multiple "There are file conflicts" warnings.  Clicking the "network at risk" icon shows two errors, both containing about 20-30 files with the error "The system cannot find the drive specified".  I tried rebooting, which has cleared file conflicts in the past, but no joy. 

I then ran chkdsk on all drives, which has also worked in the past.  One drive was showing thousands of errors of varying types.  Obviously the drive was bad, so I removed it through the WHS interface as you are supposed to.

This is where it starts to get weird.  I have removed drives through the WHS interface before, and it usually takes an hour or more.  This nearly full 250gb drive was removed in about 30 sec.  It seemed odd, but WHS was telling me everything was removed successfully, so I rebooted and figured everything was fine.  Upon reboot I still had the same file conflicts.  The files are visible, but they cannot be deleted.  I've tried to delete them through the shared folders and through D:\\Shares\ location, but neither method works.

What's worse is that since this started, WHS has been intermittently slowing down.  Sometimes I can access shares as usual, other times it can take 5-10 minutes for a shared folder to open.  This happens on multiple other computers, as well as on the WHS desktop.  Videos played from a WHS folder will occasionally drop out completely.  Files copied to or from a shared folder will sometimes copy fine, sometimes fail.  I have had this server running for nearly a year, and none of these problems existed until just a couple days ago.  Nothing else has changed on the server or the rest of the network, other than the one failing HDD that I removed through the WHS interface. 

None of the files currently displaying errors are vital.  I would gladly delete them to restore full functionality to my server, but that does not seem to be possible.  Is there any utility that will allow me to remove the offending files? 

You can't just "delete" them from D:\shares because those are not actual files (just reparse points).  In order to remove a reparse point, you have to type a specific command in a DOS prompt (fsutil reparsepoint delete xxxxxxx).  You can try using the WHS Cleanup Tool (which is designed to remove broken reparse points).  Using it is unsupported, but other users have used it for the same problem you're having.

Why is WHS so prone to file conflicts in the first place?  Why bother mirroring your data at all if the system is completely unable to recover itself upon data loss?  It seems absurd to me that a few "conflicting" files should completely cripple my server, especially when there are perfectly good copies of those files somewhere on another drive.  If the system finds a file with an error, it should automatically replace it with the backup.  Failing that, there should at the very least be some sort of utility allow the deletion of those broken file links.

Saturday, September 12, 2009 11:02 PM
  • I tried to delete the files through the network shared folders first, but when that didn't work, I gave it a shot through D:\\Shares.  It gave me the same "cannot find the specified path" error both ways.

I just tried the cleanup tool, and although the log indicates that it could not access the conflicted files, it didn't actually remove them from the file system.  Tried the fsutil command, but it returned a "cannot find the specified path" error.

Any other ideas on how to get rid of these broken files?
    Saturday, September 12, 2009 11:53 PM
  • I tried to delete the files through the network shared folders first, but when that didn't work, I gave it a shot through D:\\Shares.  It gave me the same "cannot find the specified path" error both ways.

I just tried the cleanup tool, and although the log indicates that it could not access the conflicted files, it didn't actually remove them from the file system.

Just to clarify:  the first part doesn't remove the files (it just identifies them).  Did you do the second step (run the .cmd file it created)?

Tried the fsutil command, but it returned a "cannot find the specified path" error.

Any other ideas on how to get rid of these broken files?
    If you still aren't able to get rid of the reparse points after running the .cmd file, you should probably file a bug report on Connect.
    Sunday, September 13, 2009 4:51 PM
  • I am having the same type problem.  File conflicts with files that I cannot delete.  I tried WHS Cleanup Tool  and it identified the files that I could not delete but it could not delete them either.  Is there any solution to this problem?

Thanks

Tom
    Tom
    Thursday, October 8, 2009 8:38 PM
  • I am having the same type problem.  File conflicts with files that I cannot delete.  I tried WHS Cleanup Tool   and it identified the files that I could not delete but it could not delete them either.  Is there any solution to this problem?

Thanks

Tom
    Tom

BUMP.
    come on m$.there are plenty of us with this problem.release a fix or are you not bothered with we lowly whs owners anymore,and instead are putting all your efforts in the upcoming whs r2?
    short of restore what to do?
    Wednesday, December 9, 2009 8:32 PM
  • OK I think I've given up on WHS - too many issues that is taking too much time to resolve and a number of issues don't seem to have a solution. For me WHS is a total waste.
    Thursday, February 18, 2010 7:40 PM
  • I posted this on another thread back in early summer of 2009...  I had the same problems as you can see by my earlier posts in this thread.  What finally solved my problem (haven't had a file conflict since) was HP agreed to replace my entire chassis.  I kept the HDD's which previous indicators pointed to.  All I did was stick the HDD's in the new chassis and off it went.  I didn't have to reinstall anything.  Apparently there was a problem with the HDD controller.  I have an EX485 w/ four 1 TB WD caviar black.
    Thursday, February 18, 2010 10:09 PM