Genuine Version problems RRS feed

• Question

• It looks like lots of people are having the same issue.  A computer that has been using Windows XP just fine, all of a sudden gives a message that it is now a pirated copy.  This must be a Microsoft problem.  You guys at Microsoft should fix it at your end!  :(  Just more fodder for a new Mac vs. PC commercial.
    Wednesday, September 9, 2009 6:00 PM

Answers

• It looks like lots of people are having the same issue.  A computer that has been using Windows XP just fine, all of a sudden gives a message that it is now a pirated copy.  This must be a Microsoft problem.  You guys at Microsoft should fix it at your end!  :(  Just more fodder for a new Mac vs. PC commercial.

Hello dslacey, 

If you had actually looked at the other issues, you would know that for the vast majority of threads, the reason that people's XP are suddenly turning Non-Genuine is because the Product Key used to install their XP is a Volume Licening Key. 

Volume licensing Keys are not sold to consumers. They are sold to large orginizations to give them the ability to manage up to a thousand or more XP installs.  These VLKs sometimes leak out to the internet. When that happens, the Owner of the VLK will ask Microsoft to Block the key (i.e. make the key Non-genuine).  This is why a copy of XP, using a pirated VLK key, could be genuine for years before it finally gets reported and blocked.

In many of the threads, the people did not know they were using a VLK. They may have bought the software from an untrustworthy seller/auction.  Or they may have brought thier PC in to be repaired and the repair guy was lazy or untrained and instead of reinstalling XP using the proper Product Key, he downloaded a pirated one off the internet. Or maybe a well meaning friend "upgrades" their XP Home to XP Pro using a bad VLK key.

As to your suggestion that we fix it on our end.   We have.   Vista and Windows 7 do not use VLK keys. 

Now that you have learned why people's XPs are coming up non-genuine, would you be interested in posting your Diagnostic Report and a description of the problem, so I may diagnose your XP's particulare issue? 

To generate a Diagnostic Report, download and run the Genuine Diagnostics tool (MGADiag.exe) at this link http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52012. Click "Continue", click the "Copy" button then “Paste” the report into a reply message in this thread.

Thank you,
    Darin MS

JakeStar34: Please create your own thead for your own issue.
    Wednesday, September 9, 2009 7:04 PM
  • Hello annasgrammy,

At the moment, your Dell OptiPlex GX520 computer has a pirated installation of XP Pro on it.

Please look on the computer case, locate the Windows Certificate of Authenticity (CoA), and let us know which Windows is listed on the CoA:  Home , Professional, Tablet, or Media Center.

Thank you!
    For great advice on all topics XP, visit http://www.annoyances.org/exec/forum/winxp
    Friday, September 11, 2009 2:46 AM

All replies

• Had the same problem and mine is a genuine copy
    Wednesday, September 9, 2009 6:37 PM

Hello dslacey, 

If you had actually looked at the other issues, you would know that for the vast majority of threads, the reason that people's XP are suddenly turning Non-Genuine is because the Product Key used to install their XP is a Volume Licening Key. 

Volume licensing Keys are not sold to consumers. They are sold to large orginizations to give them the ability to manage up to a thousand or more XP installs.  These VLKs sometimes leak out to the internet. When that happens, the Owner of the VLK will ask Microsoft to Block the key (i.e. make the key Non-genuine).  This is why a copy of XP, using a pirated VLK key, could be genuine for years before it finally gets reported and blocked.

In many of the threads, the people did not know they were using a VLK. They may have bought the software from an untrustworthy seller/auction.  Or they may have brought thier PC in to be repaired and the repair guy was lazy or untrained and instead of reinstalling XP using the proper Product Key, he downloaded a pirated one off the internet. Or maybe a well meaning friend "upgrades" their XP Home to XP Pro using a bad VLK key.

As to your suggestion that we fix it on our end.   We have.   Vista and Windows 7 do not use VLK keys. 

Now that you have learned why people's XPs are coming up non-genuine, would you be interested in posting your Diagnostic Report and a description of the problem, so I may diagnose your XP's particulare issue? 

To generate a Diagnostic Report, download and run the Genuine Diagnostics tool (MGADiag.exe) at this link http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52012. Click "Continue", click the "Copy" button then “Paste” the report into a reply message in this thread.

Thank you,
    Darin MS

JakeStar34: Please create your own thead for your own issue.
    Wednesday, September 9, 2009 7:04 PM
  • Well Darin,
    While I am grateful for your offer to help with my problem, I do not understand the condescending tone of your reply to my post! 

I did not post in order to get an answer...but to express my exasperation with what I was seeing as a prevelent issue.

I spent a lot of time trying to find out about my validation problem.  I do not appreciate the intimation that I should have somehow known what the problem was by examining every post concerning validation problems.  Really!  There are a lot to look at don't you think?  

I was eventually able to find a link to put in my product key code (which by the way was on a certified label on the bottom of my laptop) and it was accepted as valid. 

I've heard plenty about Vista, and I'm not interested in "upgrading."  I have lots of older peripherals and software that are essential to me and I can't afford to replace them so that they will work with Vista, and I'm not tech. friendly enough to deal with the "work arounds." 

I'm just a loyal Windows user (at least since 1995) who feels dissed by the way you as the moderator of this thread replied to my post. 

Thursday, September 10, 2009 5:33 PM
  • Hello dslacey,

Well, when you start out like this, "This must be a Microsoft problem.  You guys at Microsoft should fix it at your end!  :(  Just more fodder for a new Mac vs. PC commercial," you're not exactly following the Miss Manners method yourself, are you?

Condescending?  Nah, I thought Darin's post was firm with just a hint of edgy, kinda like those Mac v. PC commercials, eh?

For great advice on all topics XP, visit http://www.annoyances.org/exec/forum/winxp
    Thursday, September 10, 2009 6:44 PM
  • Well Darin,
    While I am grateful for your offer to help with my problem, I do not understand the condescending tone of your reply to my post! 

I did not post in order to get an answer...but to express my exasperation with what I was seeing as a prevelent issue.

I spent a lot of time trying to find out about my validation problem.  I do not appreciate the intimation that I should have somehow known what the problem was by examining every post concerning validation problems.  Really!  There are a lot to look at don't you think?  

I was eventually able to find a link to put in my product key code (which by the way was on a certified label on the bottom of my laptop) and it was accepted as valid. 

I've heard plenty about Vista, and I'm not interested in "upgrading."  I have lots of older peripherals and software that are essential to me and I can't afford to replace them so that they will work with Vista, and I'm not tech. friendly enough to deal with the "work arounds." 

I'm just a loyal Windows user (at least since 1995) who feels dissed by the way you as the moderator of this thread replied to my post. 

I take exception to your remarks.  Darin is quite professional when engaging posters in this forum and he has helped hundreds, if not thousands, of Windows users.
    Perhaps you need to think carefully before posting any condesending remarks.  Do you treat your medical doctor any better?

Carey Frisch
    Thursday, September 10, 2009 7:06 PM
  • You have taken me to task, and I sincerely apologize for being discourteous in my comments.  I was very frustrated with the situation, and obviously did not exercise discretion in expressing my views.  I was astonished by the notification that the software I had been using for years and updated regularly had somehow become invalidated.  However, that does not excuse my rude “tone” in the original post.  If I had actually been asking for help, I would have been more subdued in my post.  I was venting, and I realize that this is not the venue for that. 

Truth be told, it was on one of the posts that I was able to find the links to resolve the issue, and for that, I am grateful.  I am sure that these posts have helped many people over the years.

I understand that customer service is a stressful business, and I did not observe correct etiquette for posting my comments. 

I'm sorry for the offense. 

Thursday, September 10, 2009 9:35 PM
  • Hello dslacey,

I cannot speak for Darin or Carey, but as for myself I am pleasantly surprised by your graceful and sincere apology, and I appreciate the civility and thoughtfulness that you display by posting it.  :-)

I am also glad that you were able to find the solution for your issue in existing posts.  It sounds like your scenario was one of the more common ones, where a genuine installation of Windows was inadvertently or unknowingly over-written using a Volume Licensing CD and an internet Product Key.  The PK Updater utility has saved a lot of people a lot of reinstallation drudgery.

BTW, those Mac v PC ads drive me crazy!! I wish Microsoft would fire back...maybe they'll go on the offensive when Windows 7 rolls out.

By the way, how's your Office installation?  LOL ;-)
    Thursday, September 10, 2009 11:38 PM
  • I also am having the same issue as dslacey. I have a very annoying message that stays on my screen. It also changes my desktop theme any time it wants as I have tried to change it back. I did buy my computer at a reconditioned computer store. I want the message on my desktop removed asap, and my desktop to go back to what it was. Can you help????? I have followed the link that you gave dslacey and will paste the report in this message. Please tell me that you can fix this!!!Annasgrammy
    Diagnostic Report (1.9.0011.0):
    -----------------------------------------
    WGA Data-->
    Validation Status: Geographically blocked PID
    Validation Code: 13

Cached Validation Code: N/A
    Windows Product Key: *****-*****-3R89F-D2KXW-VPK3J
    Windows Product Key Hash: Ro/Y7HENE9CfW7lW+QtlNbYQEE8=
    Windows Product ID: 76487-640-8365391-23890
    Windows Product ID Type: 1
    Windows License Type: Volume
    Windows OS version: 5.1.2600.2.00010100.3.0.pro
    ID: {CAA52B67-662B-4B0E-922D-68813B11BA53}(3)
    Is Admin: Yes
    TestCab: 0x0
    WGA Version: Registered, 1.9.40.0
    Signed By: Microsoft
    Product Name: N/A
    Architecture: N/A
    Build lab: N/A
    TTS Error: N/A
    Validation Diagnostic: 025D1FF3-230-1
    Resolution Status: N/A

WgaER Data-->
    ThreatID(s): N/A
    Version: N/A

WGA Notifications Data-->
    Cached Result: 13
    File Exists: Yes
    Version: 1.9.40.0
    WgaTray.exe Signed By: Microsoft
    WgaLogon.dll Signed By: Microsoft

OGA Notifications Data-->
    Cached Result: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    Version: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    OGAExec.exe Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    OGAAddin.dll Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002

OGA Data-->
    Office Status: 109 N/A
    OGA Version: N/A, 0x80070002
    Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    Office Diagnostics: 025D1FF3-230-1

Browser Data-->
    Proxy settings: N/A
    User Agent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 8.0; Win32)
    Default Browser: C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\IEXPLORE.exe
    Download signed ActiveX controls: Prompt
    Download unsigned ActiveX controls: Disabled
    Run ActiveX controls and plug-ins: Allowed
    Initialize and script ActiveX controls not marked as safe: Disabled
    Allow scripting of Internet Explorer Webbrowser control: Disabled
    Active scripting: Allowed
    Script ActiveX controls marked as safe for scripting: Allowed

File Scan Data-->

Other data-->
    Office Details: <GenuineResults><MachineData><UGUID>{CAA52B67-662B-4B0E-922D-68813B11BA53}</UGUID><Version>1.9.0011.0</Version><OS>5.1.2600.2.00010100.3.0.pro</OS><Architecture>x32</Architecture><PKey>*****-*****-*****-*****-VPK3J</PKey><PID>76487-640-8365391-23890</PID><PIDType>1</PIDType><SID>S-1-5-21-1343024091-507921405-1801674531</SID><SYSTEM><Manufacturer>Dell Inc.                </Manufacturer><Model>OptiPlex GX520               </Model></SYSTEM><BIOS><Manufacturer>Dell Inc.                </Manufacturer><Version>A07</Version><SMBIOSVersion major="2" minor="3"/><Date>20060331000000.000000+000</Date></BIOS><HWID>7F41387F0184E05C</HWID><UserLCID>0409</UserLCID><SystemLCID>0409</SystemLCID><TimeZone>Eastern Standard Time(GMT-05:00)</TimeZone><iJoin>0</iJoin><SBID><stat>3</stat><msppid></msppid><name></name><model></model></SBID><OEM/><GANotification><File Name="WgaTray.exe" Version="1.9.40.0"/><File Name="WgaLogon.dll" Version="1.9.40.0"/></GANotification></MachineData><Software><Office><Result>109</Result><Products/><Applications/></Office></Software></GenuineResults> 

Licensing Data-->
    N/A

HWID Data-->
    N/A

OEM Activation 1.0 Data-->
    BIOS string matches: yes
    Marker string from BIOS: 1AB6C:Dell Inc|1AB6C:Microsoft Corporation
    Marker string from OEMBIOS.DAT: N/A, hr = 0x80004005

OEM Activation 2.0 Data-->
    N/A

Friday, September 11, 2009 2:38 AM
  • Hello annasgrammy,

At the moment, your Dell OptiPlex GX520 computer has a pirated installation of XP Pro on it.

Please look on the computer case, locate the Windows Certificate of Authenticity (CoA), and let us know which Windows is listed on the CoA:  Home , Professional, Tablet, or Media Center.

Thank you!
    Friday, September 11, 2009 2:46 AM