"An unauthorized change was made to windows", "invalid license", "did not pass genuine validation" RRS feed

• Question

• This alert 'An unauthorized change was made to windows' popped up while I was away from the computer without any unusual tasks running (just browser, streaming music, and IMs), and now it claims my Windows is not genuine.  I do not have any of the software it lists that may be "incompatible". 

This is an HP computer which came with this edition of Vista already installed, which I've had for over a year, and had been happily validated and getting updates during all that time.  I don't have any version of MS Office installed, as I use OpenOffice.

Note: it gives me this same "unauthorised change" notice twice when I run the diagnostic tool

The last update I recall doing within the past few days, aside from Windows updates, was a Sun Java RTE update.
    • Edited by Vareen Saturday, March 7, 2009 10:15 AM
    Saturday, March 7, 2009 1:15 AM

Answers

• Okay, I think I've resolved this on my own.  I ran Spybot Search and Destroy, and it discovered and removed a couple of trojans.  After that, it re-verified as Genuine.
    • Marked as answer by Vareen Saturday, March 7, 2009 10:15 AM
    Saturday, March 7, 2009 10:15 AM

All replies

• More information -- the "unauthorised change" message keeps popping up every so often, seemingly at random, complaining about a system file mismatch, and meanwhile Windows has disabled Windows Update, Add/Remove Programs, System Restore, and even System Properties.  I've run sfc /scannow also, and it fixed a change the first time, but to no avail, and running it again found no problem.
    Saturday, March 7, 2009 5:49 AM
  • Okay, I think I've resolved this on my own.  I ran Spybot Search and Destroy, and it discovered and removed a couple of trojans.  After that, it re-verified as Genuine.
    • Marked as answer by Vareen Saturday, March 7, 2009 10:15 AM
    Saturday, March 7, 2009 10:15 AM