How to Restore Backup Without Using One Care! RRS feed

• Question

• I am finding no information from "googling it" as to how to get my information out of my backup files when I was using Windows One Care.  I chose to delete this program because One Care managed to lose 8 months of records it didn't backup.  So, now I have 165 GB backup that I can't do anything with because it's all compressed I assume and it shows 0 kbs in each folder.  How does one restore a Windows Live One Care backup without using Windows Live One Care?  Surely, Microsoft has an answer to their own failures!

I'm not bitter, I just want my information restored! I have a different backup plan now, and I am using Zone Alarm for my security.  Can I install the 90 day trial just to restore my files? 
    Enjoy Working on Computers
    Thursday, April 16, 2009 2:54 PM

Answers

• You can install the 90 day trial and restore the backup, but it may refuse to install or behave if you don't remove Zone Alarm first.
    You can install the 90 day trial to another PC and restore the backup and then copy the restored data to this PC.
    You can use WinZip or a 3rd party compression program to unzip the files and manually copy them to where they need to go. If you use the last option, any files that have been split by OneCare backup into smaller segments will need to be joined back together. This can be done with a free utility -  http://www.freebyte.com/hjsplit/ - however, you will probably need to rename the file segments with an extension of .001, .002, .003, etc for HJSplit to rejoin the parts. It will be a painful process. :-(

-steve
    Microsoft MVP Windows Live / Windows Live OneCare & Live Mesh Forum Moderator
    Thursday, April 16, 2009 4:10 PM

All replies

• You can install the 90 day trial and restore the backup, but it may refuse to install or behave if you don't remove Zone Alarm first.
    You can install the 90 day trial to another PC and restore the backup and then copy the restored data to this PC.
    You can use WinZip or a 3rd party compression program to unzip the files and manually copy them to where they need to go. If you use the last option, any files that have been split by OneCare backup into smaller segments will need to be joined back together. This can be done with a free utility -  http://www.freebyte.com/hjsplit/ - however, you will probably need to rename the file segments with an extension of .001, .002, .003, etc for HJSplit to rejoin the parts. It will be a painful process. :-(

-steve
    Thursday, April 16, 2009 4:10 PM
  • This works for me up until I go to import the outlook.pst files then i get a message saynig the file is not a pst file.  Is there any other way of doing this?
    Gillian
    Monday, April 20, 2009 12:32 PM
  • That would mean that you may not have joined all of the parts to make a valid .pst file. If the file is incomplete, it will fail to import as it is corrupt. If you have joined all parts, you may want to run the scanpst.exe utility to repair the PST file first. You'll find scanpst.exe within the Office folder under Program Files (depending on OS and Office version the location varies).
    -steve
    Monday, April 20, 2009 2:30 PM
  • That would mean that you may not have joined all of the parts to make a valid .pst file. If the file is incomplete, it will fail to import as it is corrupt. If you have joined all parts, you may want to run the scanpst.exe utility to repair the PST file first. You'll find scanpst.exe within the Office folder under Program Files (depending on OS and Office version the location varies).
    -steve

Hi Steven,  ok i've run the scanpst.exe which gave me an error saying it was forced to stop.

Am i right in thinking that I only need to pick the files for the date that I want and rejoin them and that it only needs to be the Part *** of Outlook.pst files?

Thanks for you help

Gillian
    Monday, April 20, 2009 3:14 PM
  • Sorry for the delayed reply.
    You're going to need to assemble all of the parts of the Outlook.pst file that was backed up on a specific date, yes. Once they are rejoined you should be able to import from the rebuilt .pst file.
    -steve
    Tuesday, April 21, 2009 5:17 PM