Crash during One Care Backup increased backup size RRS feed

• Question

•  

While trying to do an initial backup of a PC using one care backup, the system crashed with a blue-screen and a dump, but rebooted without trouble.  But when I when went back to try the backup again, the backup size had increased by about 30GB.   Looking at folder sizes starting at the root of the drive, I noticed a huge increase in the "Documents and Settings" folder.  It had jumped from about 40GB to about 70GB.  But when I look at the sizes of the sub-folders, they only add up to about 40GB. 

How can I find this mysterious 30GB and get rid of it so I can successfully perform a backup?

Thanks for your help.

John

Saturday, July 19, 2008 11:45 AM

Answers

All replies

• The stop error during the backup is the most likely cause of One Care miscalculating the file sizes. Normally I would suggest deleting the backups and starting over but since you encountered an unexpected shutdown during backup I recommend contacting support to identify and resolve the cause of the stop error. How to reach support - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2421771&SiteID=2

Saturday, July 19, 2008 4:07 PM
  • Unfortunately, it's not just One Care miscalculating the file sizes.  It was the file system browser that reported inconsistent sizes between "docs and settings" and its component subdirectories.   Thanks, though for the link about getting to support.  I shall try that!

John

Saturday, July 19, 2008 6:03 PM