none
File conflicts prevented the hard drive removal RRS feed

• Question

• I have browsed through this and many other forums.  I can see others who have had similar problems but with a few fundamental differences.

I have recently added a new drive to the server pool using the Server Console, no problems there.  However I then tried to remove a couple of smaller drives from the server pool, again using the console.  At the end of the process I was confronted with the an error message stating that "File conflicts prevented the hard drive removal."  When I view the files preventing the removal (the next step offered by the dialog box) I am given an extensive list of files with the error "The group or resource is not in the correct state to perform the requested operation."  The disk management addin shows that the disk is all but empty following the failed removal process.  Navigating to the drive under c:\fs shows a few remaining files which do not seem to be corrupt in any way.

This post suggests that I should "Delete the files identified in the File Conflict messages. The data for these files no longer exist on your home server or the data is in an incorrect state."   However when I navigate to these files in explorer, a photo for example, they not only exist, but load without fail, tending to suggest to me that the data does in fact exist.

The Server Console is also showing the "Network at Risk" icon, stating "There are file conflicts" for six of the seven shared folders.  When I click on 'Details' there are twenty files listed for each share, each saying "The system cannot find the drive specified".  Again when I navigate to these files they are present and functioning properly.  If I delete one of the twenty files then it is replaced by another after I have rebooted the computer.  The 'Server Storage' tab shows all the drives as 'Healthy', but the 'Shared Folders' tab shows those six out of seven shared folders as 'Failing (Check Health)'.

A third possible cause for concern is a dialog box that appears after the computer has booted telling me to check the Event Viewer because a service has failed to initialise.  Inspection of the log shows many instances of:
    Assertion failure at d:\wssg_src\whs_pp3\qhs\src\storage\qsm\qsm.cxx(18805): pVolRunner->vdf.nDisks > 0
    I believe this has to do with the backup service which I'm not currently using.

System information:
    HDDs: Seagate Barracuda 7200.8 SATA 300GB, Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 SATA 320GB, WD Caviar Blue 500GB SATA, WD Caviar Blue 640GB SATA & WD Caviar Green 1.5TB SATA.
    Power Pack 3 (6.0.2423.0) with Disk Management, WebGuide, Whiist and Avast! addins.

I have tried running the whsCleanup tool, but it did not find any problems.  Some other posts have suggested some registry changes to rectify the qsm problem, but they seem a bit drastic given I'm not even sure that the problem is related.  I don't seem to have lost any data (I hope), so I'm wondering if the next step might just be to backup the tiny amount of data remaining on the drive, physically remove it from the system and then try the removal again through the Console?

Thanks in advance to anyone with clues!

Monday, September 20, 2010 4:35 AM

All replies

• I have browsed through this and many other forums.  I can see others who have had similar problems but with a few fundamental differences.

I have recently added a new drive to the server pool using the Server Console, no problems there.  However I then tried to remove a couple of smaller drives from the server pool, again using the console.  At the end of the process I was confronted with the an error message stating that "File conflicts prevented the hard drive removal."  When I view the files preventing the removal (the next step offered by the dialog box) I am given an extensive list of files with the error "The group or resource is not in the correct state to perform the requested operation."  The disk management addin shows that the disk is all but empty following the failed removal process.  Navigating to the drive under c:\fs shows a few remaining files which do not seem to be corrupt in any way.

This post suggests that I should "Delete the files identified in the File Conflict messages. The data for these files no longer exist on your home server or the data is in an incorrect state."   However when I navigate to these files in explorer, a photo for example, they not only exist, but load without fail, tending to suggest to me that the data does in fact exist.

The Server Console is also showing the "Network at Risk" icon, stating "There are file conflicts" for six of the seven shared folders.  When I click on 'Details' there are twenty files listed for each share, each saying "The system cannot find the drive specified".  Again when I navigate to these files they are present and functioning properly.  If I delete one of the twenty files then it is replaced by another after I have rebooted the computer.  The 'Server Storage' tab shows all the drives as 'Healthy', but the 'Shared Folders' tab shows those six out of seven shared folders as 'Failing (Check Health)'.

A third possible cause for concern is a dialog box that appears after the computer has booted telling me to check the Event Viewer because a service has failed to initialise.  Inspection of the log shows many instances of:
    Assertion failure at d:\wssg_src\whs_pp3\qhs\src\storage\qsm\qsm.cxx(18805): pVolRunner->vdf.nDisks > 0
    I believe this has to do with the backup service which I'm not currently using.

System information:
    HDDs: Seagate Barracuda 7200.8 SATA 300GB, Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 SATA 320GB, WD Caviar Blue 500GB SATA, WD Caviar Blue 640GB SATA & WD Caviar Green 1.5TB SATA.
    Power Pack 3 (6.0.2423.0) with Disk Management, WebGuide, Whiist and Avast! addins.

I have tried running the whsCleanup tool, but it did not find any problems.  Some other posts have suggested some registry changes to rectify the qsm problem, but they seem a bit drastic given I'm not even sure that the problem is related.  I don't seem to have lost any data (I hope), so I'm wondering if the next step might just be to backup the tiny amount of data remaining on the drive, physically remove it from the system and then try the removal again through the Console? 

That's what I would try next.

Thanks in advance to anyone with clues!

Wednesday, September 22, 2010 4:59 AM