Better font scaling support in console RRS feed

• General discussion

• I've had my self-built server (with all new hardware) up and running for about five days now.  I'm very pleased.  This is an excellent product.  I've tried several backup solutions for my home pictures and video and none of them really quite give me the ease of use and peace of mind that I've been looking for.  So far, WHS is looking very good.

I'd love to see better font scaling support in the WHS console.  My eyes aren't as good as they used to be (I'm a 30-something).  With 20+ inch LCDs having native resolutions of 1600x1200 (which happens to be mine) or higher becoming standard, I think this is a must.  The standard font size of 96 DPI on a monitor like this is a little too small for me.  While I may be in the minority, I suspect the minority is a fairly decent size considering the market segment that's likely to purchase WHS.

I changed the DPI setting to 120 DPI on the server and then started up the console.  It's not bad, but there are a few aspects of the console that aren't scaling properly.  This is causing text and UI widgets to be clipped somewhat. 

Here are the areas that I see this:

Main Console Window

1. The button text on the primary Toolbar/Tab bar clips the button icons.

Settings: General

1. Windows update radio buttons are beng clipped along bottom edge.
    2. Turn on auto error reporting text is clipped at bottom of second line.

Settings: Passwords

1. The description group box has text within it that is being clipped at the bottom of the second line.
    2. The user accounts strong password statement is clipped at bottom of second line.

Settings: Media Sharing

1. The first paragraph spans three lines.  The third line is almost entirely clipped so that only the top most portion of the text is visible.

I'm using a 20" Dell UltraSharp 2006FP (4:3 ratio) at 1600x1200.  My Vista desktop runs with 120 DPI font.  The standard WHS font setting made the WHS console text too small.  I can read it, but it wasn't comfortable on the eyes.

Thanks for listening.

Saturday, August 23, 2008 7:19 PM

All replies

• It's possible that your workstation area (especially monitor position) isn't optimally configured. There's a wealth of information on this subject online; the general recommendations are to position your monitor at least 24" away, to position the entire viewing area below horizontal by at least 10 degrees, and to tilt the top of the monitor away from you slightly. All of this improves visual accomodation. In addition, I think you have your PPI setting/font scaling rather high; a true 20" 4x3 monitor running at 1600 x 1200 will have a PPI measurement of exactly 100. There's an excellent calculator for DPI available here. For what it's worth, I'm 48, I have a 24" widescreen (equivalent to yours in measured PPI), which is positioned with the top of the monitor at eye level but otherwise following guidelines, and I have no trouble at 96 PPI.

That said, I agree that the console doesn't do a great job of scaling when you change the DPI setting on your server. You should submit a product suggestion on Connect; you should search for similar suggestions and vote if you find any you agree with; the team has said that the popularity of a product suggestion is taken into account when considering potential new features.
    Saturday, August 23, 2008 8:44 PM