Error Messages with Onecare RRS feed

• Question

• Hey Gang, I have a computer witnh OneCare on it and am having a strange problem. The icon in the sys tray is red. If I try to open the OneCare control panel, I INSTANTLY get a Microsoft Error message and it of course it asks me if I want to send an error report. I have downloaded every repair tool that OneCare has, I have even downloaded the removal tool, but NOTHING and I mean NOTHING related to OneCare will open with producing a Error massage asking if I want to send a report. I am suspecting some kind of Malware but am not sure. The OS is XP Pro. I am at my wits end. Any help would be appreciated. I
    Friday, March 27, 2009 1:06 AM

Answers

All replies

• Contacting support would be the way to go with this issue. How to reach support - http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/onecareinstallandactivate/thread/30400b52-7f26-4ba0-bc18-17e305329d90
    Jim
    Friday, March 27, 2009 2:57 AM
  • Oh for crying out loud! You don't think I've already been through all that? And do you see the link that says "Chat with Experts in a discussion forum?"I have contacted support, and I thought by my post it would have been obvious that I have already been throught the frigging ringer. I have been through every FAQ section, I have downloaded EVERY repair tool that is offered on the OneCare support, and last but not least they direct you to "Chat with Experts in the discussion forum" and they provide me with a link to this page. So if this post seems stupid, then someone needs to talk to Microsoft and OneCare about their lame support. Again, OneCare, and every repair tool offered by OneCare generates a Microsoft Error report when you try to run it, and then says it has to "Close the Program" and of course the "Would you like to send this report to Microsoft?" I can run any other program, or executable, but not anything related to OneCare. An answer to my problem would be sweet as I don't care to go through the same "One Care" suppport options again as they didn't produce any results the last 3-4 times I went through it and ended up right back here by their direct instructions. I am here BECAUSE it says It SAYS "Chat with Experts in a discussion forum". What I need is an expert not another wild goose chase. 
    Friday, March 27, 2009 3:52 AM
  • I agree the support flow isn't as intuitive as it could be. I would like to help you here but based on your previous posts you really need to work with One Care technical support. Send an e-mail with One Care in the subject line to jrap107@msn.com and I will help you contact support.
    Jim
    Friday, March 27, 2009 4:39 AM
  • Burnt_Offering12 said:

Oh for crying out loud! You don't think I've already been through all that? And do you see the link that says "Chat with Experts in a discussion forum?"I have contacted support, and I thought by my post it would have been obvious that I have already been throught the frigging ringer. I have been through every FAQ section, I have downloaded EVERY repair tool that is offered on the OneCare support, and last but not least they direct you to "Chat with Experts in the discussion forum" and they provide me with a link to this page. So if this post seems stupid, then someone needs to talk to Microsoft and OneCare about their lame support. Again, OneCare, and every repair tool offered by OneCare generates a Microsoft Error report when you try to run it, and then says it has to "Close the Program" and of course the "Would you like to send this report to Microsoft?" I can run any other program, or executable, but not anything related to OneCare. An answer to my problem would be sweet as I don't care to go through the same "One Care" suppport options again as they didn't produce any results the last 3-4 times I went through it and ended up right back here by their direct instructions. I am here BECAUSE it says It SAYS "Chat with Experts in a discussion forum". What I need is an expert not another wild goose chase. 

This is a peer to peer discussion forum. It's "nice" that the Help pages for OneCare refer to this as "chatting with experts," however, it is a forum where customers help customers.
    Your problem description, as well as the fact that you have tried a number of solutions from the self help offerings, including a complete reinstall, suggests that your problem will require some digging by Support to identify the problem and correct it.

Can you identify when the problem began? Did somethng change between the last time you opened OneCare and when the problem started?

The fact that it is in Red condition indicates that something needs your attention. Since you cannot open OneCare, we don't know what that is. It could be that the protection is out of date or it could be that the protection is off due to failures of underlying services.

The reason for OneCare being unable to open could be as simple as the fact that Terminal Services have been disabled or another service required by OneCare has been disabled. This could have been done by you, another program, or malware.
    Another possible reason for the crash is that .Net Framework is damaged. You can try repairing .Net per the information below. Note that the references are to .Net Framework 2.0. There has been a significant roll-up update to .Net Framework - v3.5, which you may have received. You can update to 3.5 via Windows Update after removing or repairing .Net Framework.

However, I think your best bet is to contact OneCare support per the reply from Jim, above.
    -steve

To repair .Net Framework 2.0 on XP:

Open Control Panel

Select Add or Remove Programs

Locate Microsoft .Net Framework 2.0

Select the entry and when the installer launches, select Repair.

Reboot when it completes.

Alternatively, see this KB article:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/306160

To remove a corrupt .Net Framework install, use this tool:

http://astebner.sts.winisp.net/Tools/dotnetfx_cleanup_tool.zip

The download of .Net Framework 2.0 can be found here:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=0856eacb-4362-4b0d-8edd-aab15c5e04f5&displaylang=en

To repair .Net Framework 2.0 and 3.0 on Vista, see this blog entry:

http://blogs.msdn.com/astebner/archive/2007/03/26/how-to-repair-the-net-framework-2-0-and-3-0-on-windows-vista.aspx

If the above does not resolve the problem with OneCare, please contact support:

How to reach support (FAQ) - http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/onecareinstallandactivate/thread/30400b52-7f26-4ba0-bc18-17e305329d90

-steve

Microsoft MVP Windows Live / Windows Live OneCare & Live Mesh Forum Moderator
    Friday, March 27, 2009 1:03 PM
  • Thanks Guys for the kind responses. Sorry if I sounded a little frustrated. I own my own computer business here in Alaska. I have gone against every other Tech I know that ridicules OneCare and Microsoft and stuck with OneCare because it flat out will remove viruses that nothing else will. It for the most part, at least in my opinion is fairly user friendly for my clients which is why I have it on hundreds of my clients computers. That being said I'm not an idiot. The problem I have in this instance is OneCare is on one of my clients computers and its a paid subscription. Yesterday before I posted here I tried EVERYTHING trust me. I suspected some form of Malware so I downloaded "Malwarebytes" and was running that when I left. I also suspected .Net Framework might be the culprit so the computer was downloading and installing the latest version through "Windows Updates" when I walked out the door. I posted here in hopes that someone else had run into this and if the Malware detection and .Net Framwork update didn't work I might have another course of action. I will be getting back to the client later today and if the things mentioned above worked I will let you know. If not, either way I'll be back. Thanks for your help guys.

Kevin 
    Friday, March 27, 2009 7:41 PM
  • Frustration is certainly understood and thanks for explaining more about the situation. Please do let us know if you were able to resolve it and what you found.
    -steve
    Microsoft MVP Windows Live / Windows Live OneCare & Live Mesh Forum Moderator
    Sunday, March 29, 2009 7:41 PM
  • Hey Guys, I wanted to give you an update. I know many times you never hear what was done to fix the problem. I wanted to be accountable and let you know what the final outcome was. As I said in my earlier post, I left the computer downloading the .Net Framwork 3.5 last week. The client was gone all weekend and I didn't hear from him until yesterday. The new version of .Net Framework completely took care of the problem and he is completely happy. The OneCare control panel opens now, and the sys tray icon is green. The culprit was a corrupt or outdated .Net Framework install. Thanks for the responses guys.

Kevin Monson
    PCMD Technologies
    Wasilla Alaska.
    Tuesday, March 31, 2009 7:27 PM
  • Thanks for the update Kevin. Glad to hear you resolved the issue and we appreciate your posting of the solution.
    Jim - MVP Windows Live - Forum Moderator - Live One Care - Live Mesh
    Tuesday, March 31, 2009 8:01 PM